Sooo i messed up but maybe..

Hey everyone,

I recently bought a waterblock for my 970 but i had the oversight of it being the 1972-KR and not the 1972 without it... aaaand well it doesnt fit.. but barely!

The problem is that only at one place things actually do not fit!

I attached where... its an Alphacool NexXxos 970 M01 and the part that is hitting there is passive. If i wanted to remove that little corner from the passive block.. what tools would i need? i guess sandpaper is not enough for something like that.

I really dont want to get beaten by EVGA deciding that with that card they want to place those just a teeeny tiny bit lower and leave the rest alone.

So yeah,

Should i try or just accept that i have to aircool my card?

EDIT:

The full P/N is 04G-P4-1972-KR  (what the hell is up with those -KR anyway i can't find an explanation what differs those from others)

post-116247-0-35618900-1417183732_thumb.

post-116247-0-60969100-1417184710_thumb.

Edited by ZarosTenjin

can you not return the water block and just get the one u need

There is no Waterblock for the 1972-KR :< I already looked if its only the 1972 without KR

Seeing how it's made, the part you circled in red does not seem to have any water looping through it. Probably bringing it to a machine shop and ask them to mill the extra metal might do it, and it should not be that pricey. Make sure it does not weaken any metal wall or create any leak, but in my opinion it's easily feasible. If you don't wan't to take it to a machine shop you can try with a dremel and a cutting disc.

Seeing how it's made, the part you circled in red does not seem to have any water looping through it. Probably bringing it to a machine shop and ask them to mill the extra metal might do it, and it should not be that pricey. Make sure it does not weaken any metal wall or create any leak, but in my opinion it's easily feasible. If you don't wan't to take it to a machine shop you can try with a dremel and a cutting disc.

Yeah alphacool vga coolers are basically a universal embedded in a huge passive cooler, i guess i'll try to find a metalworks shop

There is no Waterblock for the 1972-KR :< I already looked if its only the 1972 without KR

no you do not modify the chokes (warranty VOID) as they are sealed to prevent coil whine.

KR is the EVGA suffix for 3-year warranty, the base 1972 also has TX, BX still the same card, just different terms.

http://www.evga.com/support/warranty/

just wrong block for the application. manufacturer was wrong in description

no you do not modify the chokes (warranty VOID) as they are sealed to prevent coil whine.

KR is the EVGA suffix for 3-year warranty, the base 1972 also has TX, BX still the same card, just different terms.

http://www.evga.com/support/warranty/

just wrong block for the application. manufacturer was wrong in description

Oh okay! So i should get in touch with alphacool then?

Oh okay! So i should get in touch with alphacool then?

yes, contact the block manufacturer and see what their work around (if any) exists.

Allright.

I made some more pictures to show how it looks when trying to montage it and then checked the compatability list again .... the EVGA models have been removed.. on my tablet i actually have a version of the pdf where they are still lsited but the one from their website now only lists the zotac one for the M01 version....

i think they've realized something there....

Guess i have to retoure it and take a look at the other options

EDIT going to attach a little before after of the compatability list ;)

post-116247-0-01907600-1417192831_thumb.

i'd see if your retailer can refund your purchase (sine alphacool has changed

their application data (with your snapshot proof). i wouldn't cut on anything

as that might what be an issue, till something else isn't right, too.

i'd see if your retailer can refund your purchase (sine alphacool has changed

their application data (with your snapshot proof). i wouldn't cut on anything

as that might what be an issue, till something else isn't right, too.

I've opened a retour ticket at aquatuning since i bought it from them.

Will now look into getting the EK-Block after the refund arrives. Still a bit sad about it since i really love the approach alphacool has taken. But what doesnt want to be that doesnt have to be. Thanks from stopping me though, otherwise i probably wouldnt have rechecked the compatability list!

I've opened a retour ticket at aquatuning since i bought it from them.

Will now look into getting the EK-Block after the refund arrives. Still a bit sad about it since i really love the approach alphacool has taken. But what doesnt want to be that doesnt have to be. Thanks from stopping me though, otherwise i probably wouldnt have rechecked the compatability list!

great, but other have also had issues on the EK blocks manufactured for the 970

http://linustechtips...k/#entry3472472 )

great, but other have also had issues on the EK blocks manufactured for the 970

http://linustechtips...k/#entry3472472 )

Yeah, I'm not too concerned with them because other he used a galax card which si not listed and EKWB has in their compatability list also the pcb design of the evga card as a picture.. also what other chance do i have i think theres heatkiller from watercool but i do not like how they look and that they only have a silver/nickel backplate while i would love for my ggrpahics card to be black at least on the more visible backplate (i know i'm entereing first world problem here but i mean i only do watercooling for the looks and not the temps as well(I dont really feel the need to OC especially not my usually bored cpu))