I5-4690k running at 4.3 GHz most of the time. (not OCed)

thorpj
Go to solution Solved by TheMcSame,

If i was moaning, i would have told you that

I'm concerned:

a) that i'm voiding my warranty

B) that settings may be wrong somewhere

c) about temps caused by this

1. I doubt it, I mean if it''s running like that out the box it's probably not your fault

2. There's always a possibility, maybe some settings in the UEFI from a previous overclock seeing as the B85 chipset is capable of overclocking with some manufacturers, Asus being one of them

3. Honesty temps with the stock cooler concern me anyway, it might be wise to invest in a 212 Evo.

temps get up to 90 in prime 95 and 82 in aida64. I'm running the stock cooler, and this explains it. 

The stock cooler is terrible, I'd expect to hit 90, or at least something close it it, with the stock cooler at stock clocks and volts.

Hi there,

it's a pretty quick question - My 4690k runs at 4.3 (shouldn't it only turbo up to 3.9??).

I've changed to the balanced power setting in windows, so now it's sitting at 3.5 for some of the time.

I have some BIOS settings setup for max performance (Asus B85 Pro gamer) so that's probably why, but am i voiding the warranty by doing this?

I did have a problem with temps (i posted that in the troubleshooting section) but this explains it. 4.3 ghz is really a slight overclock, and i'm using the stock cooler.

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Stop moaning and enjoy your free performance.

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

Stop moaning and enjoy your free performance.

I'm concerned:

b) that settings may be wrong somewhere

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

well keep an eye on the temps and v-core.

temps get up to 90 in prime 95 and 82 in aida64. I'm running the stock cooler, and this explains it. 

Don't run prime95, since the last patch it has become realy unstable and can ruin your CPU when using it for a long period of time. Aida64 is better, much better. Prime95 used to be a very good oc tool, but the last patch is a bit meh.

"I fart in your general direction" -The Frenchmen

I'm concerned:

B) that settings may be wrong somewhere

1. I doubt it, I mean if it''s running like that out the box it's probably not your fault

2. There's always a possibility, maybe some settings in the UEFI from a previous overclock seeing as the B85 chipset is capable of overclocking with some manufacturers, Asus being one of them

3. Honesty temps with the stock cooler concern me anyway, it might be wise to invest in a 212 Evo.

The stock cooler is terrible, I'd expect to hit 90, or at least something close it it, with the stock cooler at stock clocks and volts.

Don't run prime95, since the last patch it has become realy unstable and can ruin your CPU when using it for a long period of time. Aida64 is better, much better. Prime95 used to be a very good oc tool, but the last patch is a bit meh.

Yeh i read that prime95 wasn't so good. I only ran it for about 5 seconds. Aida 64 ran a little cooler.

I set the "profile" (very specific....) in bios to Asus optimised, and i'm guessing that's causing the 4.3 ghz clock? 

The board is new, so there's no conventional overclock going on.

I'll definitely invest in a 212

So i don't think there's anything going wrong here. As the first comment said, i'll "enjoy the free performance"

thanks for the help