Meizu and Canonical Reach Agreement to Release Ubuntu-Powered Meizu Handsets Later This Year

Just ran by this whilst browsing and noticed it has not been posted here on the forums. Meizu apparently posted this on their facebook finally confirming the rumors about a potential collab with Canoical and their Ubuntu OS. An agreement has been made and we can expect to see Ubuntu-powered Meizu phones fairly soon. From what I can tell, it is unknown whether this will roll out with the fabled Ubuntu Touch, or a skinned version of a current OS. See below

jxDD0xy.png

HmYxM1D.png

The Ubuntu Edge smartphone campaign never reached its lofty $32m goal , but the more than $12m in pledges it received was record-breaking—and Canonical hasn’t given up. Ubuntu Touch for phones just hit “release to manufacturing” status. The first official version is done, bugfix’d, and ready to go. It’s coming on real phones, too, with the first phone with Ubuntu Touch shipping this December.

As the Oppo N1 was to CyanogenMod, the Meizu MX4 will be to Ubuntu. You’ll soon be able to get phones that ship with officially supported Ubuntu software—no more hacking around on Nexus devices.]

source: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2687847/ubuntu-touch-finalized-first-phones-coming-this-year.html

I've personally always been excited for ubuntu touch. However, it kind of went quiet throughout the last year or so. I feel that it brings some new things to the table that just might become a 'thing' if we can actually get it in peoples hands.

Linus, if your reading this, I would like to here your opinion on ubuntu touch. I recall slick featuring the OS in a video some time ago, but I would definitely appreciate a revisit in this weeks Wanshow. Does Ubuntu Touch have what it takes to brawl it out with the giants?

Last time i ruined Ubuntu mobile, it had huge battery problems and some of its functions where still placeholder images (something like a year ago). I hope they've fixed it all up. Then it'll be worth a try again. 

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

Oh, I thought you meant a repost on the forums.

Isn't it normal for news journalist to make articles on the same topic? Unless they plagiarized, then that's a different story.

Edit: switching to this source in OP. Far more informative.

Oh, I thought you meant a repost on the forums.

Isn't it normal for news journalist to make articles on the same topic? Unless they plagiarized, then that's a different story.

Edit: switching to this source in OP. Far more informative.

i posted the wrong link, sorry....

it should be this:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/257690-ubuntu-touch-finalized-first-phones-coming-this-year/

I'm just going to go cry in a corner now

It's sucks because this guy didn't really format his op well at all. :(

Edit: I'm really stupid. I even posted on that guys thread yesterday and somehow managed to forget the whole thing.