Xbox One Designer Explains why the console is so big

sof006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLofCdDm2g0

According to the designer, it was to keep the console "cool".

Yet Sony can release the PS4 which might I add has an internal power brick and is capable of staying cool/maintaining a reasonable temperature. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Are you sure that by "cool" they meant thermal performance

Well they certainly weren't implying that a console was "cool" as in "hip"; afterall, it is a console ;) 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Its an AMD GPU and CPU for gods sake, it runs HECKA hot.....

Well the Playstation uses the same, but has a smaller fan....

(Now you are going to make me to do a temp test on my XBOX 1 and PS4...)

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

cool as in cool, or cool as in icy chilly?

Either way,a VCR is not cool

well...not anymore at least

Its an AMD GPU and CPU for gods sake, it runs HECKA hot..... Well the Playstation uses the same, but has a smaller fan.... (Now you are going to make me to do a temp test on my XBOX 1 and PS4...)

But the PS4 seems to manage to keep higher resolutions and play better than the xbox one, while being cheaper and smaller.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

cool as in cool, or cool as in icy chilly?

To keep it

Frozen

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

The PS4 pumps out some warm air, its not hot by any means. Yeah the console gets a little noisy but in total honesty I forget its there when i'm playing games.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Its an AMD GPU and CPU for gods sake, it runs HECKA hot..... Well the Playstation uses the same, but has a smaller fan.... (Now you are going to make me to do a temp test on my XBOX 1 and PS4...)

Use speedfan or HWMonitor

Oh, consoles dont have those?

[semi-NSFW] http://i.imgur.com/OiIqV3d.gif [semi-NSFW]

317 is watching. 317 is everywhere. 317 is life.

idk... if people can make ""console killers in a smaller form factor with more powerful parts i don't think it is to keep it "cool" ALTHOUGH it is all amd and they run pree darn hot

Yes Yes Legalize Gay Marriage sure, but have you ever considered Weaponizing Gay?

CPU: I5 4690 3.5ghz || MOBO: MSI B85-G43 Gaming Board || RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance Pro - Red || GPU: Gainward GTX770 Phantom 4gb || PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W Gold || Case: Thermaltake Urban T31 || SSD: Corsair Force 120GB || HDD: 1TB WD Black

That hilarious. They HAD to make it that big...right... is that why the ps4 is significantly smaller and more power and still does not overheat? Keep in mind the xbox has an external power brick, just imagine if it didn't. It would be even bigger and still less powerful.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

To keep it

Frozen

Remove yourself from your computer please.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Use speedfan or HWMonitor

Oh, consoles dont have those?

[semi-NSFW] http://i.imgur.com/OiIqV3d.gif [semi-NSFW]

My god, didn't even think when clicking that.

I think there's a secret AMD card in those Xbox ones, slowly mining bitcoin for Microsoft.

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

Remove yourself from your computer please.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I can't.

I don't want to

Let it go

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I can't.

I don't want to

Let it go

you having a giggle m8?

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

you having a giggle m8?

Yes I am, but these jokes are kind bad.

May need 

a bit of a fixer upper

Well it's better to have the console be a bit on the big side than to end up like with the 360... How high was that failure rate again? Over 50%? Pretty sure a lot of them were linked to overheating as well so I can understand them being careful.

But the PS4 seems to manage to keep higher resolutions and play better than the xbox one, while being cheaper and smaller.

the xbox one is cheaper than the ps4.

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

the xbox one is cheaper than the ps4.

Maybe after sales but the Xbox One retails $100 higher.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Yes I am, but these jokes are kind bad.

May need

a bit of a fixer upper

Never knew Elsa was about that life. Nice meme

Gg

Nah. 28nm SHP isn't the powerhog that SOI is. Plus it's a Jaguar design which is only a few watts.

And it is only rocking a 7790/7870 (xb1/ps4). Bonaire and Pitcairn are not known for running hot.

I swear sometimes LTT really does act like a bunch of 16 year old females in high school. Raving over who can come up with the most dirt on each others favourite devices or brands.

Microsoft likely gave it more than enough cooling/internal space in order to avoid the massive overheating issues they had with the 360 in its first couple of years. They also likely anticipated people putting the Xbox One into small TV stand / home theatre stand compartments which kill airflow and were a huge contributor to 360 overheating issues.

Looking inside the Xbox One you can see they clearly could have made it more compact if they really wanted to but why risk potential overheating issues?

xbox-one-hardware.jpg

Besides, the Xbox One really is not that big. My roommate has one and by looking at it is not unreasonably big. Maybe we all forget how fat the PS3 was? Lets take a look.

ps3-ps4-xbox360-xboxone-com-600x535.jpg

Last but not least there actually are people reporting overheating issues with the PS4: https://www.google.ca/webhp?#q=ps4+overheating

But I'll just let all of you armchair engineers continue on.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

The thing is huge, but their fears about thermal issues are totally justified. Remember the first Xbox 360s? You know, the ones that could melt their GPU off the board? Yeah.

Git Gud.

I don't get why people see it as "funny" or think there is another reason behind it.

Microsoft XBox team simply went and said: "We don't care what, we don't want the console to not face any overheating issue like the 360 did.", pretty much.

So they basically over-built the console. Sure a better heatsink/fan could have been put, but that cost more money, than a larger system with more vent holes.