New Laptop

LordOfTime94

I'm fairly new to this forum but you guys seem very knowledgeable and I could use some help.

My old laptop is near enough dead and needs to be replaced. I am looking for something that is powerful enough to play some games at a decent quality/frame rate (i.e. Warframe, STO, Sins of a Solar Empire) but cheap enough that it doesn't slap my bank account in the face. This will primarily remain a backup/spare system that I will have next to my main. I tend to have my existing laptop on for light research or when I just want a break for the main one. My budget is adjustable, but right now the cap remains at £600-700.

My minimum specifications at this time are: 

• CPU: i5-i7. Preferably an M/MQ version as the ultrabook ones seem to focus less on power and more on efficiency (which I am not too concerned with as it will not be unplugged very often).
  • GPU: GT 740/840. It has to be able to play average intensity games as a decent level. Nothing high-end like Battlefield or Tomb Raider.
  • RAM: 8GB. Last system has 4GB and I always have too much running for it to handle. 
  • Screen Size: 15". I want it to be a manageable size and weight that I can move it around, but don't want everything on the screen to be cramped.
  • Camera/Mic: No preference. If it has one, that's a bonus.
  • Screen Resolution: 720p. I would prefer 1080p, but will settle for the former.
  • Storage: 1TB. As a backup it will house most of my personal files, and I would like room for a few of my Steam games. No preference between the type (i.e. HDD/SSHD)
  • Memory Card Reader: This would be preferable as I have a few of these lying around and don't really want to be buying a plug-in reader.
  • OS: Would prefer Windows 7 as I am used to that more, but Windows 8.1 doesn't seem too bad now, so I might give it a try.

My current laptop is a HP G62 with an i3, 4GB RAM and a terrible cooling system. It did ok to begin with, but after a while, it started to run slow, and since then it has all gone downhill. After several thermal shutdowns, BSOD's and part replacements, 4 years on this thing is just not worth repairing anymore.

Because of this I am very wary to go with them again, but as of late, HP seem to be doing OK, so I might be persuaded to reconsider.

I have managed to find a few laptops with similar specs to these, such as the Lenovo Y50-70 and Y510p, but I would prefer to have an outside opinion on what would be a good choice as I have little experience with most of these companies and what their products can be like to use. Specs are all well and good, but the user experience is generally what defines a products worth.

Any and all input is appreciated.

Regards,

LoT

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152646

CPU: Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.50 GHz

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 840M (2GB memory)

RAM: 8GB DDR3L 1600 MHz

Display: 15.6" (Full HD 1920x1080)

Camera/Mic: 720p webcam [couldn't find mention of mic]

Storage: 1TB 7200RPM

Memory Card Reader: SD

One thing that may be a deal-breaker is it's weight, almost 6 pounds. Otherwise, this satisfies all your wants at a price of $789.99 USD. Check the link...

EDIT: Apparently, it's unavailable in UK... "Out of Stock" (http://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152646) ...check later?

Alternatives: Lenovo Z50 (much cheaper, but only has 820M at max)

Obviously, Y50 is still a valid choice.

PLEASE QUOTE ME WHEN YOU REPLY TO MY POSTS, thank you.