Best Thermal Paste - By Fact?

Zambonie
Go to solution Solved by Faceman,

Hello, like the title says, what is the best thermal paste there is out there?

By fact, which actually does the job right.

There is a poll including one of the best I have heard, but I'm wondering which one is the best out of those.

If there is anything better not included in the poll, please post it in the comments.

Thanks, -Zambonie.

Coolaboraty makes the best TIMs, but they have some downsides.  They are incredibly hard to work with, conductive, and very hard to remove.  Unless you absolutely need the best possible performance, I recommend you go with something not so hard to work with.

01-Water-Cooling-High-Pressure.png

-Source

I use Gelid-GC Extreme, and it works wonders on both my CPU and GPU.

There is a poll including one of the best I have heard, but I'm wondering which one is the best out of those.

If there is anything better not included in the poll, please post it in the comments.

Thanks, -Zambonie.

Intel i5-6600k (Cooled by a 212 evo) - Asus Z170-A - Asus Dual OC GTX 1060 - NZXT S340 - WD 1TB (Getting SSD this month, hopefully) - 8GB DDR4-2400

LG G4 - Asus Zenwatch 2

That is a very difficult question as most of the data seems to indicate a minor difference of a couple of degrees and nobody does proper statistics.

Coollaboratory Liquid Metal Ultra is the best. Hands down. Slap that all over your die and IHS and get mad temp drops. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I feel tempted to try Mayo.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

That is a very difficult question as most of the data seems to indicate a minor difference of a couple of degrees and nobody does proper statistics.

It's kinda why I want to create this topic open to a lot of people to report of what thermal paste works for them, its almost like proper scientific experiment of people recording their observations on what thermal paste seems to be working best for them, and one has to stand out by a little, some how.

I feel tempted to try Mayo.

It's strange. Lots of websites reporting these things put toothpaste and mayo on their reports. I'm pretty sure its just a joke, but it seems to actually works lol.

Intel i5-6600k (Cooled by a 212 evo) - Asus Z170-A - Asus Dual OC GTX 1060 - NZXT S340 - WD 1TB (Getting SSD this month, hopefully) - 8GB DDR4-2400

LG G4 - Asus Zenwatch 2

Coolaboratory Liquid Pro. 

Doesn't pro dry solid fusing the heat sink to the IHS?

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

It's kinda why I want to create this topic open to a lot of people to report of what thermal paste works for them, its almost like proper scientific experiment of people recording their observations on what thermal paste seems to be working best for them, and one has to stand out by a little, some how.

It is a bit difficult to do this because of different hardware. However if you have enough people, you might at some point get people with very similar setups, but then people might apply the paste differently and such.

Your alternative is getting a bunch of tubes of different thermal pastes, standardise the experiment and try that with a couple of samples. It would also be advised to not just take one tube, but several as there might be differences in the batches.

Then with all of this data found, you could make some statistics to find out if the differences among the thermal pastes are actually significant. I would kind of like to do this, it would however not be all that cheap.

It would also be an idea to not test the paste inside of computers, but on a setup consisting of a controlled heat source, thermometer and something to sandwich the paste into.

I imagine it is quite difficult to standardise paste application.

its almost like proper scientific experiment

Yeah well, not really, people on the internet tend to have a lot of bias.

It is a bit difficult to do this because of different hardware. However if you have enough people, you might at some point get people with very similar setups, but then people might apply the paste differently and such.

Your alternative is getting a bunch of tubes of different thermal pastes, standardise the experiment and try that with a couple of samples. It would also be advised to not just take one tube, but several as there might be differences in the batches.

Then with all of this data found, you could make some statistics to find out if the differences among the thermal pastes are actually significant. I would kind of like to do this, it would however not be all that cheap.

It would also be an idea to not test the paste inside of computers, but on a setup consisting of a controlled heat source, thermometer and something to sandwich the paste into.

I imagine it is quite difficult to standardise paste application.

Yeah well, not really, people on the internet tend to have a lot of bias.

Eh true, but on this forum there's probably more people who would actually vote properly and not be bias, over seeing the bias people.

It would still be a little neat to see what most people prefer for thermal paste.

LG G4 - Asus Zenwatch 2

I chose other because IC Diamond and Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra was not on the list. Then there is MainGear's EPIC T1000 which is really Indigo Extreme relabeled and that performs the best out of IC Diamond and Liquid Ultra in low ambient but the cost is questionably the main factor in making it the best TIM.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Doesn't pro dry solid fusing the heat sink to the IHS?

Nah. Older versions did but the newer ones don't. 

Nah. Older versions did but the newer ones don't.

Pro does dry and is basically non-removeable. It's liquid ultra that you can remove.

Pro does dry and is basically non-removeable. It's liquid ultra that you can remove.

Wups. Messed it up. Just looked at the tube. It does say Ultra :P 

Thanks, -Zambonie.

Coolaboraty makes the best TIMs, but they have some downsides.  They are incredibly hard to work with, conductive, and very hard to remove.  Unless you absolutely need the best possible performance, I recommend you go with something not so hard to work with.

-Source

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Okay, thanks. Gelid is what I shall use.

Thank you.

LG G4 - Asus Zenwatch 2

-Source

Those bars need some standard deviations or confidence intervalls