Working remotely from another computer

pizzaboyuk

I have an i7 with a gtx970 which I use for photo/video capture and editing, is it possible for me to connect to it remotely and do the editing on another pc?

My other pc is only Core Quad, so what I really want to know is, would the editing be performed on the i7 using all its resources (ram, graphics card) while the quad just "streamed" what was being rendered?

Recommendations on remote software would also be of great help. Thanks.

Just watched the Team Viewer video... thanks all.

your welcome 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

I've found the best way to do it is with Steam In-Home Streaming.

Just install Steam on both machines, on the editing machine add a random program like notepad as a Non-Steam game, and when you launch it to steam you can minimize out of it and get to the desktop and do whatever you want. I do CAD work this way where something like Teamviewer or Windows Remote Desktop is too laggy.

I've found the best way to do it is with Steam In-Home Streaming.

Just install Steam on both machines, on the editing machine add a random program like notepad as a Non-Steam game, and when you launch it to steam you can minimize out of it and get to the desktop and do whatever you want. I do CAD work this way where something like Teamviewer or Windows Remote Desktop is too laggy.

Not to nitpick your chosen method, but if you were going to add a random program like Notepad, why not just add the CAD software? Would that not save you a step?

Anyway @pizzaboyuk I highly recommend Teamviewer. It's hassle free and gives complete access to the host machine. It can also work over the LAN without streaming over the Internet, so that should speed up the snappiness.

We use it at work (Over a LAN with several subnets each bridged by Fibre) and it's quick enough for most programs. The host computer is doing all the heavy lifting anyway, so the occasional bit lag won't be much of a problem.

BTW @pizzaboyuk why not simply use the better computer? If they are both physically in the same building?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Not to nitpick your chosen method, but if you were going to add a random program like Notepad, why not just add the CAD software? Would that not save you a step?

Not sure why, but if I add Autodesk it always says "Unable to Launch Stream", but if you open Notepad and then start Autodesk it works just fine. I've tried a few different programs and they didn't work either, but Notepad always does the trick. I think it won't work if the program has a splash screen prior to starting, as Minecraft will not work either.

Why does every one recommend Teamviewer. For something like this TightVNC is much better. It is how 99% of servers are remote accessed 

Why does every one recommend Teamviewer. For something like this TightVNC is much better. It is how 99% of servers are remote accessed 

I was thinking of a *VNC solution as well, until I reread that it is for a video capture, which I would assume entails audio. I am not aware of any VNC implementations that provide remote audio support as well.

CPU Intel i7-7700 | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 | Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z270F Gaming | RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 3.2GHz 32GB | GPU EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra Gaming |

Case Fractal Design Define R5 | Storage Samsung 980 PRO 500GB, Samsung 970 EVO+ "v2" 2TB | PSU Corsair RM850x 2021 | Display ASUS VP247QG + Samsung SyncMaster T220 | OS Garuda Linux

Everyone recommends Teamviewer because it just works, and is very hassle free. I've never used TightVNC, nor do I know anyone who has. But I know a ton of people who have used Teamviewer.

TightVNC might be the preferred solution for Server Admins, but most of us aren't server admins, nor will the OP be using it in a server environment. And quite simply Teamviewer is just far more popular.

Can you explain why TightVNC is "much better"? I'd be interested in a comparison.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Everyone recommends Teamviewer because it just works, and is very hassle free. I've never used TightVNC, nor do I know anyone who has. But I know a ton of people who have used Teamviewer.

TightVNC might be the preferred solution for Server Admins, but most of us aren't server admins, nor will the OP be using it in a server environment. And quite simply Teamviewer is just far more popular.

Can you explain why TightVNC is "much better"? I'd be interested in a comparison.

It's a preferred solution because it's an enterprise grade solution. Input lag is much less noticeable mainly.

It's a preferred solution because it's an enterprise grade solution. Input lag is much less noticeable mainly.

Can you elaborate a bit on that? Because simply calling it an "enterprise grade solution" doesn't say much. Teamviewer has enterprise/corporate level licenses for their product. Their "Corporate" license has a ton of added features over the free version, including higher quality/less lag streaming.

Granted, you have to pay for those features.

How easy is TightVNC to use, compared to Teamviewer? What's the GUI like by comparison? How easy is it to have user error? Teamviewer is great because it's stupid easy to use. I have more than a dozen 50+ year old mothers and grandmothers using Teamviewer, and they aren't exactly computer techies. Librarians are old school folk for the most part, and many of them can barely use a computer, but if I can get them running Teamviewer, well, it gets damn good reviews in my books.

If TightVNC has similar ease of use, then that's fantastic, will have to check it out. I'm simply saying, you need to provide a bit more explanation as to why you think it's "much better". You could be 100% right, but there IS a reason why so many people use Teamviewer.

How about using Windows RDP. It's built in.  Nothing to install.  Enable it on the remote pc.  Get your real ip address. Port forward 3389 on the router.  Done.

I've used TightVNC a few times, as its the most reliable way to remote into a Sharp copy machine... but I don't know anyone who uses it for servers, its a niche program in my opinion. Granted I don't know a ton of people who run servers, but of the dozen or so I regularly talk with I do know for a fact none of them use TightVNC and doubt more than half have even heard of it. Had you said 50% of servers I may have believed you...

I dunno what the "official" definition of "enterprise grade" is, but I consider to to be something that was never intended for general use. TightVNC is free/open source and even the homepage says for helping friends and family. I consider that to be a consumer product. I don't follow very closely and could be wrong here, but when it comes to open source and enterprise Linux is the exception, not the rule.

How about using Windows RDP. It's built in.  Nothing to install.  Enable it on the remote pc.  Get your real ip address. Port forward 3389 on the router.  Done.

I don't photo edit to know for sure in the OP's case, but the lag is unbearable using it while doing CAD work. Steam streaming is the only option I've found that I'd consider usable, even then it is pretty obvious you aren't sitting directly in front of the computer.

I've used TightVNC a few times, as its the most reliable way to remote into a Sharp copy machine... but I don't know anyone who uses it for servers, its a niche program in my opinion. Granted I don't know a ton of people who run servers, but of the dozen or so I regularly talk with I do know for a fact none of them use TightVNC and doubt more than half have even heard of it. Had you said 50% of servers I may have believed you...

I dunno what the "official" definition of "enterprise grade" is, but I consider to to be something that was never intended for general use. TightVNC is free/open source and even the homepage says for helping friends and family. I consider that to be a consumer product. I don't follow very closely and could be wrong here, but when it comes to open source and enterprise Linux is the exception, not the rule.

I don't photo edit to know for sure in the OP's case, but the lag is unbearable using it while doing CAD work. Steam streaming is the only option I've found that I'd consider usable, even then it is pretty obvious you aren't sitting directly in front of the computer.

I used TightVNC as an example there are multiple VNC programs