Should i invest more or not?

Hi all,

I want to buy a new Mobo, CPU and Ram but now i have an decision to make do i stick with the cheaper intel 4000 series or do i buy the new 5000 series that are more expensive.

What do you guys think should i invest more money in the new series or should i buy the 4000 series for less money but then i will need to upgrade sooner?

So will the 4000 keep up with the 5000 series for the coming years or is it better to spend more money now so i don't have to upgrade so soon??

Hi all,

I want to buy a new Mobo, CPU and Ram but now i have an decision to make do i stick with the cheaper intel 4000 series or do i buy the new 5000 series that are more expensive.

What do you guys think should i invest more money in the new series or should i buy the 4000 series for less money but then i will need to upgrade sooner?

So will the 4000 keep up with the 5000 series for the coming years or is it better to spend more money now so i don't have to upgrade so soon??

5000 series like the 5820k (Haswell-E) etc?  Those are serious enthusiast parts and will almost never give improved performance in games.  Stick with the 4000 series (Haswell) with compatible H/B/Z 97 motherboards :)

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

5000 series like the 5820k (Haswell-E) etc?  Those are serious enthusiast parts and will almost never give improved performance in games.  Stick with the 4000 series (Haswell) with compatible H/B/Z 97 motherboards :)

Yeah sorry like the Haswell-e, I'm a game artist so i do not only need power to run games but also for heavy software am i then still better of with the 4000 series?

Yeah sorry like the Haswell-e, I'm a game artist so i do not only need power to run games but also for heavy software am i then still better of with the 4000 series?

It depends on what kind of things you do.  For most cases an i7 from the 4000 series will be better.  The Haswell-E platform is very new, and DDR4 costs a ton still, and unless you are doing a lot of stuff AT THE SAME TIME or render videos A LOT, then you are best going with the 4000 series, regular Haswell~

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

x99 geek checking in. 

Depends on the prices in your area. If you can afford a 5820k I would get it. 

For it me was only about 200-300 more to go X99 over Z97 so it was a no brainer really. 

The prices on the new Haswell-E compatible parts are still insane, especially the DDR4 RAM that goes along with it, however you can buy a cheaper 6-core (i7 5820K) for less money compared with the old X79 platform, where you have to spend around 500$ for a 6-core (i7 4930K). I believe that as a designer you will benefit from one of those processors. Also in my opinion there is no point of investing in something that is alreadly old. X79 has been around for years and is kind of outdated. While we will probably see an other CPU refresh on the X99, combined with the fact that DDR4 will gradually replace DDR3 and the prices will fall. That's what I am personally doing with my current build project. I'll probably buy lower capacity DDR4 RAM and then exapnd with more when prices go down. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

a core i7-4790K will handle pretty much anything quite swiftly wheter it's photo editing, video rendering, 3d modeling...it's a very capable chip that i can recommend hands down unless you are a prosumer and time for you is money

in which case i would probably suggest the 6 core 12 threads i7-5820K.

The i7-4790K ship with a clockspeed of 4.4ghz out of the box and will even take some more if you have about an hour to tweak the settings a bit.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR