8gb of gddr5 ram for 4k?

Zach's Tech Tips

Hey linus community

I am investing in a new pc and i was wondering if i should get a r9 295x2, 2x gtx 980's or even 2x r9 290x 8gb edition for a total of 16gb of gddr5.but do i need 8gb or 16gb for a 4k or would i be fine with a 4gb card.

Thanks 

wolffnags147

Its when dragons have so much sex that the cpu cant handle it

2 980s would be the best, and 8 GB of ram is silly. 4GB should be just fine :)

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Id go with 2x 980s and 8gb of RAM

Call of duty Advanced Warefare takes more than 6GB in 1440p and 4k

"If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains." - Bill Shankly

Hey linus community

I am investing in a new pc and i was wondering if i should get a r9 295x2, 2x gtx 980's or even 2x r9 290x 8gb edition for a total of 16gb of gddr5.but do i need 8gb or 16gb for a 4k or would i be fine with a 4gb card.

Thanks 

wolffnags147

You don't add up VRAM. You wouldn't say that you have 16gb total if you get 2 cards with 8gb. You wouldn't say that you have 8gb if you get 2 cards with 4gb.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/97541-why-doesnt-your-vram-increase-in-crossfiresli/

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1664529/vram-sli-double.html

Id go with 2x 980s and 8gb of RAM

Call of duty Advanced Warefare takes more than 6GB in 1440p and 4k

looks like ill go with the 8gb's then if these new games are getting hungrier for more ram.

looks like ill go with the 8gb's then if these new games are getting hungrier for more ram.

No he thought you meant buying ram separately (DDR3). Read what I said. You don't buy 8gb of gddr5

Anyways for 4k consider 2 r9 290s.

You don't add up VRAM. You wouldn't say that you have 16gb total if you get 2 cards with 8gb. You wouldn't say that you have 8gb if you get 2 cards with 4gb.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/97541-why-doesnt-your-vram-increase-in-crossfiresli/

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1664529/vram-sli-double.html

oh thanks didnt know that was a thing.

No he thought you meant buying ram separately (DDR3). Read what I said. You don't buy 8gb of gddr5

Anyways for 4k consider 2 r9 290s.

what i meant was ill choose a setup with 8gb gddr5 ram in the gpu's

oh thanks didnt know that was a thing.

They will launch 8GB version of the 980 soon .. get two of them

"If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains." - Bill Shankly

what i meant was ill choose a setup with 8gb gddr5 ram in the gpu's

Again you don't add, but yes two cards with 4gb of GDDR5 would be good. I recommend dual 290s.

before christmas?

before christmas?

dont think so, rumors/reports states it might be Feb. They also mentioned a new GPU will be launched (might be the 980 Ti)

dont think so, rumors/reports states it might be Feb. They also mentioned a new GPU will be launched (might be the 980 Ti)

i might buy a 980 for now wait until the new card or 8gb version and return my old 980. (if they alow me to)

What about the more reasonably priced 970? Will it also have a 8GB frame buffer?, Two of them would be great for 4k!

Again you don't add, but yes two cards with 4gb of GDDR5 would be good. I recommend dual 290s.

He meant he'd get the 8gb 290 cards. 2 R9 290 8gb cards.

He was not wrong the second time.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

What about the more reasonably priced 970? Will it also have a 8GB frame buffer?, Two of them would be great for 4k!

Yeah I agree, but 980 will perform much better

He meant he'd get the 8gb 290 cards. 2 R9 290 8gb cards.

He was not wrong the second time.

Gotcha, since OP got a little confused I thought he meant 2 290 4gbs, misread. 

Is there any news on a 8gb 970??

Nup didnt hear any, only the 980s ..

Very contradicting. More people voted for 980's which have 4gb mem, but then vote 8gb would be more suitable for the job. I say r9 290x 8gb of memory would be the way to go because its here and available now. 980's with 8gb are just rumors, nothing is officially confirmed yet. Games are beginning to utilize more memory for texture packs and mods. I find myself already utilizing about 3gb while gaming on 4k.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop

I'd wait till amd releases their r9 390x.  It'll be a lot more powerful and have a more vram then the current normal r9 290x.  Nvidia will probably respond with something soon afterwards to try and keep the crown.  Something with more power and hopefully more vram.  As a reference, the 780 Ti was released two weeks after the r9 290x undercut the gtx 780.

Thrive on change. Embrace volatility.

Very contradicting. More people voted for 980's which have 4gb mem, but then vote 8gb would be more suitable for the job. I say r9 290x 8gb of memory would be the way to go because its here and available now. 980's with 8gb are just rumors, nothing is officially confirmed yet. Games are beginning to utilize more memory for texture packs and mods. I find myself already utilizing about 3gb while gaming on 4k.

What gpu do you use to game at 4k?

What gpu do you use to game at 4k?

I use 2x 780ti's, they yield about 60fps vsync in most games and 40ish in newer games.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop

I use 2x 780ti's, they yield about 60fps vsync in most games and 40ish in newer games.

At ultra?

At ultra?

Yes, however I will resort to using high and sometimes medium to get 60fps with vsync, screen tearing is terrible. I use very little AA, definitely no SSAA but sometimes 2x MSAA.