Do you have trouble balancing your computer use with other pursuits?

Jarro

Does getting on the computer to work lead to playing something instead of relaxing another way?

Do you find trouble separating work and play when both are on the same computer?  

Since I use my computer for both work and play as a college student I find it difficult to separate myself from it for other pursuits outside of computer world.  When I finish work its so much easier to directly pull up a game rather than go relax another way.  This makes me wonder if it would be better to have separate computers for work and gaming.  How do you balance your life on computers and off?  Is it just an issue of self control?

-Jarro

I have to finish college  applications by the end of the month...Still haven't done it, too busy playing insurgency and battlefield

As for separate or all in one: Desktop for gaming, ultrabook for working. That way if I'm off in school, I physically can't play a game without it feeling like I'm watching a slideshow

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

For schoolwork I use my district-issued Chromebook, games I use my self built rig, and everything else like youtube and web browsing I use a cheapo laptop from 2009, because I'm too lazy to go upstairs to my computer and my school blocks everything on the chromebook.  I hardly ever have time to play games, but when I try to do schoolwork I usually end up binging on youtube.

My life is consumed by CS:GO, even though I'm not exceptionally good at it.

CPU: AMD A10-5800K | GPU: Gigabyte R9 270 2GB | RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz HyperX Blu | Storage: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO + 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Chassis: NZXT H230 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 | PSU: Corsair CX500 500W | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 EVO | OS: Windows 10
In order of priority: GTX 970 Strix, 2 good 1080p monitors, i5 4690k, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150, a job

WoW has overtaken my life again.  But I don't work at home so that's one thing.  I just don't get as much exercise as I'd like now with WoW out and raids starting in 5 days.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

The eternal struggle; "Study, or games?..."

Seriously, so freaking annoying.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

Yes, I make a plan about how I'll get off my PC at x time and go do something. Never happens. I notice the time and don't forget, I just don't feel like getting ready for what I wanted to do.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Does getting on the computer to work lead to playing something instead of relaxing another way?

Do you find trouble separating work and play when both are on the same computer?  

Since I use my computer for both work and play as a college student I find it difficult to separate myself from it for other pursuits outside of computer world.  When I finish work its so much easier to directly pull up a game rather than go relax another way.  This makes me wonder if it would be better to have separate computers for work and gaming.  How do you balance your life on computers and off?  Is it just an issue of self control?

I don't remember what the outside looks like...

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs. And the Universe trying to produce bigger idiots.. The Universe is winning"

(Gaming PC) CPU:- i5 4690k 3.5GHZ . MOTHERBOARD:- MSI G45 Z97 Gaming . CPU Cooler:- H100i . GPU:- ASUS Geforce GTX-780ti Direct CU II OC -x2 SLI . RAM:- 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 4x4GB . CASE:- Corsair 750D Obsidian Series . PSU:- EVGA SuperNova 850W Gold . FANS:- x3 Corsair AF120 RED LED, x2 Corsair AF120 (Red rings) .STORAGE:- Kingston V300 120GB (Boot Drive), x2 1TB WD Blues, x2 500GB Samsungs .

Spoiler

KEYBOARD:- Logitech G19. | GAMEPAD:- Logitech G13. | HEADPHONES:- Logitech G35. | MOUSE:- CM Storm Sentinel Advanced II. | JOYSTICK:- Saitek ST200. | RACING WHEEL:- Logitech Driving Force GT. | OTHER:- TrackIR 5 + Vector Clip | CounterStrike XXL Mousemat

Nope, dont really have an issue with it, I PREFER to spend my time on my PC, but I still do other things as and when I need/want

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Pretty much this.

WoW has overtaken my life again. But I don't work at home so that's one thing. I just don't get as much exercise as I'd like now with WoW out and raids starting in 5 days.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers