POLL: The Best GTX 970?

Mattr567

What do you think is the best GTX 970?

For myself it would be the MSI GTX 970 Golden Edition.

Project Cobalt: 

CPU: AMD FX 8370 Motherboard:

Asus M5A97 R2.0

RAM: G.Skill Ares 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133 GPU:

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Case: NZXT H440 (Blue)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 256GB +  2x 1TB WD Cavier Blue

PSU: Corsair 750G2 

CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220X

Keyboard: Model M + a lot of others 

Mouse: Logitech G502

Vintage Gaming PC: AMD Athlon T-Bird 800Mhz, Gainward nVidia Ti200 128MB, 512MB Crucial RAM DDR, Compaq ASPEN 2 OEM Board, Soundblaster Live! 5.1, Windows 98SE

That depends what for...

Silence: ASUS Strix

Performance & overclocking: Gigabyte G1

Watercooling: Reference

Price: MSI

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

the cheapest one :P

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

That depends what for...

Silence: ASUS Strix

Performance & overclocking: Gigabyte G1

Watercooling: Reference

They're making a block for the g1 (ek is, the rep on the forums confirmed it, coming out soon apparently) so I'd say the g1 is a better option for watercooling, as you can make better use of the binned chip.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

G1 is my favorite, but I would get whichever one is cheapest :P

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

I'd go the G1 to be honest, I'll admit that I'm a bit of an Asus fanboy, but I think Gigabyte killed it this time around with the design of their coolers and the fact that they have specially binned chips (Although I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about that).

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

The Strix 970 and 980 would be an easy choice for me. Having a quiet system is very important to me and performance while gaming is top notch.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop

The Palit GeForce GTX 970 Jetstream is one badass card. Performs like a top tier GTX 970 (compared to the rest) while being the cheapest. I also dig the gold-silver metal plate surrounding the fans.

Image from guru3d.com

img_0248.jpg

Gigabyte - best rear I/O, best cooling solution, silent at below 60% fan speed (which it rarely ever reaches), binned chip, able to deliver more power than the likes of Asus for better OCing, proper VRM cooling (unlike Asus and MSI), great CS.

It's the complete package when it comes to 9xx series GPUs.

Honorable mentions go to these models, which just popped up in a shop around here.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Does everyone commenting have every model to compare with each other? Nope.

Does everyone commenting have every model to compare with each other? Nope.

At least one of each brand?

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Galax GTX 970 HOF for pure performance. I think it does that zero fan rubbish as well. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

What do you guys think of the zotac edition? Found one for 330 euro and i think i'm going to buy it

What do you guys think of the zotac edition? Found one for 330 euro and i think i'm going to buy it

From the tests I saw: much hotter and much weaker than gigabyte's. You can check this site for comparison. I know it's in portuguese, but at least the numbers on the graphics should be readable... I hope.

Left is zotac, right is gigabyte.

I know that g1 is way better in terms of temperatures but i'm trying to find a nice cheap 970. G1 is almost 50 euro more expensive than the zotac, same msi and asus.

I've done the comparisons, and from what I've seen the Gigabyte G1 Gaming is the only 970 series card that has a segment of the heatsink dedicated to the VRM, and another for the top mounted vRAM chips.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I've done the comparisons, and from what I've seen the Gigabyte G1 Gaming is the only 970 series card that has a segment of the heatsink dedicated to the VRM, and another for the top mounted vRAM chips.

This, in theory, should help with shooting for the moon when OCing. But it's pretty "useless" otherwise. Proof of it being that no other brand uses this.

There is no reference model...

I know this is a bit late to say, but there is a reference model :) I picked one up today during the "early black friday" at Best Buy. (Only tech store within 50 miles, don't hate)

CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro // CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @4.2GHz // GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 Reference // RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport @1333MHz // MOBOASUS P8Z77-V LK // SPACE: 240GB Crucial M500 SSD ~ WD Black 1TB // PSU: Corsair CX750M //

CASE: Cooler Master Elite 130 // CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 @4.0GHz // GPU: N/A // RAM: 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport @1600MHz // MOBOEVGA Z87 Stinger Mini-ITX // SPACE: OCZ ARC 100 120GB SSD ~ [2X WD Black 2TB in RAID 1] // PSU: EVGA 430W //

This, in theory, should help with shooting for the moon when OCing. But it's pretty "useless" otherwise. Proof of it being that no other brand uses this.

That would be because its cheaper, the gigabyte is the coolest of them, and its designed for overclocking, and since it has proper cooling it can use more power then other cards without the VRM overheating.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I know that g1 is way better in terms of temperatures but i'm trying to find a nice cheap 970.

"I want something amazing but I want to pay for something ordinary"

Isn't that essentially what you're saying?

The Zotac is an ordinary card, not much different from a traditional reference card, so if that's what you want then go for it. It's not like you get 5 more FPS with any 970 over another 970, it'll just either be quieter, slightly (but unnoticeably) faster, cooler, more stable in the long term due to better components - or a combination of 2 or more of those factors. It's not anything revolutionary.

Just be aware that spending as little as possible usually means a louder, slower, hotter, and/or a shorter life span card.

Now the Zotac card isn't loud, at least. I'd say long term VRM/ memory life and temperatures is going to be the weaknesses of that card.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.