LGA 1155 stock cooler running at 500 rpm

thorpj
Go to solution Solved by BuntzenB,

Apologies, i think the way i've written this has misled you a little. Alll this was done during installation. I haven't even taken off the side panels since i booted and encountered this problem.

Ah. i would recomend checking which header ur fan is plugged into

Hi there,

I've just upgraded my build (see sig) by replacing the original mobo and CPU with an Asus B85 Pro Gamer and Intel I5-4690k

So i get the ok beep upon boot. But then i get 3 quick error beeps and it says fan error. Going into the BIOS shows that the fan is running at 500 rpm, but temps are sitting around 35C.... on an intel CPU.

I'm not able to get to my PC at the moment, but i would appreciate some help!

thanks in advance

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Hi there,

I've just upgraded my build (see sig) by replacing the mobo and CPU with an Asus B85 Pro Gamer and Intel I5-4690k

So i get the ok beep upon boot. But then i get 3 quick error beeps and it says fan error. Going into the BIOS shows that the fan is running at 500 rpm, but temps are sitting around 35C.... on an intel CPU.

I'm not able to get to my PC at the moment, but i would appreciate some help!

thanks in advance

Try reseating the cpu. Also make sure there are no bent pins. GoodLuck

Sounds like the header itself is faulty.

Argh not again, my previous motherboard had a faulty fan header. I can use any fan header right? I don't think there was a fan header labelled CPU fan before anyway...

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Try reseating the cpu. Also make sure there are no bent pins. GoodLuck

I don't believe bent pins would be causing the fan to spin at a lower rpm.

If its running at 35c while the fan is going at 500c, could it be a sensor reading issue?

Argh not again, my previous motherboard had a faulty fan header. I can use any fan header right? I don't think there was a fan header labelled CPU fan before anyway...

Use the CPU fan header.

It controls the speed of the fan depending on load and temps.

System: Thinkpad T460

Use the CPU fan header.

It controls the speed of the fan depending on load and temps.

mmm so it looks like i made a noob mistake and didn't use the CPU fan header for the CPU :)

I don't believe bent pins would be causing the fan to spin at a lower rpm.

If its running at 35c while the fan is going at 500c, could it be a sensor reading issue?

If the cpu isnt contacting the pins correctly then the mobo could be getting incorrect readings from the cpu

mmm so it looks like i made a noob mistake and didn't use the CPU fan header for the CPU :)

yeah it should be located right near the cpu and it will say cpu header in small letters on the board. Anyways you should hope that that's the only problem.

Please keep us posted

If the cpu isnt contacting the pins correctly then the mobo could be getting incorrect readings from the cpu

yeah it should be located right near the cpu and it will say cpu header in small letters on the board. Anyways you should hope that that's the only problem.

Please keep us posted

I'm worried now. I wiggled the CPU a little bit, but i didn't push down with any force

I'm worried now. I wiggled the CPU a little bit, but i didn't push down with any force

okay.. and what happened?

okay.. and what happened?

It went in all right.

I'd never installed an LGA1155 cooler before... So i pushed down the opposite clips (but one at a time) and spent a while pushing them down a little more, since i couldn't get the cooler to stop wiggling, (i fixed that in the end)

It went in all right.

I'd never installed an LGA1155 cooler before... So i pushed down the opposite clips (but one at a time) and spent a while pushing them down a little more, since i couldn't get the cooler to stop wiggling, (i fixed that in the end)

Okay good. Have you booted yet?

Okay good. Have you booted yet?

It posts, and i've booted into a USB with win 8.1 (got as far as the windows icon flashing up, but didn't have the time to do the full installation, so i shut down and left the PC)

And i've found where the CPU header actually is (through the manual, god how did i not see it...)

Side note: the pins that lock the CPU cooler in aren't perfect like the manual shows, but they are close.

I3XPy6z.png

It posts, and i've booted into a USB with win 8.1 (got as far as the windows icon flashing up, but didn't have the time to do the full installation, so i shut down and left the PC)

And i've found where the CPU header actually is (through the manual, god how did i not see it...)

Side note: the pins that lock the CPU cooler in aren't perfect like the manual shows, but they are close.

I3XPy6z.png

Alright thats good! so either it was cooler contact issue or pin contact issue. Either way good job! (See if you can brace the board and push the cooler pins a little harder (if u wanna))

Alright thats good! so either it was cooler contact issue or pin contact issue. Either way good job! (See if you can brace the board and push the cooler pins a little harder (if u wanna))

Apologies, i think the way i've written this has misled you a little. Alll this was done during installation. I haven't even taken off the side panels since i booted and encountered this problem.

Yeh i'm 99% certain that i didn't plug it into a CPU fan header, i just hope thats the only mistake i've made.

I won't be able to get to my PC at the moment.

thanks so much for your help, i'll get back to you with more info later.

Right, so the CPU was connected to the CPU opt header. I swapped it to the CPU fan header, and put the fan that was there onto a chassis fan header

No CPU fan errors, so that's all god, but the thing is, now the top 20mm fan fans is running at 433rpm!

It doesn't look like it's running at that

On a side note, i'm not running the BIOS version that ensures compatability with my CPU, but i'm installing windows, so it seems to work ok.

7bZtuCq.jpg

Ok so now i'm running Windows, and have installed most of my usual programs.

I ran prime 95 - for 2 seconds. Temperatures hit 90C, so i stopped that...

idles at 38-45c.

Running Batman Arkham Origins for 5 mins, the temps didn't exceed 65, and ran at a constant 60fps (locked to 60)

Running Aida64, things look more positive.

These seem like ok temps for a 4960k running a stress test with a stock cooler, in a case that isn't exactly the best in terms of airflow.

hwn477Y.png

Running Aida64, things look more positive.

These seem like ok temps for a 4960k running a stress test with a stock cooler, in a case that isn't exactly the best in terms of airflow.

hwn477Y.png

Alright just i wouldn't recommend running anything past 80 degrees for too long.

Anyways so i guess your system is fixed?

Alright just i wouldn't recommend running anything past 80 degrees for too long.

Anyways so i guess your system is fixed?

I think everything is ok now, thanks so much for your help Buntzen, i'll mark your post as the solution.

I'll get a hyper 212 evo sometime next week, and that should keep temps well inside the safe zone