Has anyone had experience with open box products @ Micro Center?

desert_scarab

I work a block from a Micro Center that has two EVGA GTX 780 Ti's SC for $324.99 USD. However, they are open box and the retailer indicates that they were returned in good working condition, but may be missing other peripherals or manuals. I'll go in after the holiday and ask specifics directly, though.

Has anyone had experience with purchasing "open box" discounted GPU's from Micro Center? This question is specific to this retailer, but would like to know if anyone has had similar situations with other stores/online retailers.

I currently have one reference PNY GTX 780 Ti and thought this would be a great deal to go SLI and give more oomph to my system rather than waiting on selling my current 780 Ti and picking up one GTX 980 (or maybe two GTX 970's).

At $324.99 USD, that would be somewhat cheaper than one GTX 970 and give quite the performance boost. Though, I'm hesitant due to the returned "open box" status.

I have heard of CPUs being returned because the OC bad and then they were sold as open box models. Do you have a return policy? It is always worth a try. 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Yes,

It was a Z77X-UD3H. Fantastic board, too bad the open box one had bent pins, killed my SSD and almost fucked my entire system. The price gap isn't that big, and neither is the performance gap.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I trust Micro Center very, very much.

I personally haven't, but you should be fine.

signatures are the illuminati #mkultragotcha

Checked an open box Z77 board a couple years ago, believe it was an ASUS ROG board. It was clearanced for 100 bucks, but had bent pins. Did purchase an open box Z87 board last year for pretty cheap. It looked like the person bought the board and just didnt like it, because the tape was still on the chipset and dimm slots.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

I've bought an open box motherboard from them 2-3 years ago, still running fine for me.

I think it is a luck of the draw thing... the employees at the one I went to didn't seem competent enough to test a PC component, I'd assume they ask the customer what is wrong, write it on the box and put it on the shelf. For $50 I took the risk and turned out alright, but I dunno if I'd risk much more than that unless they give you 15-30 days to return it where you can stress it a bit.