PCMasterRace is Ignorant

Suika

Who needs a console? alienware alpha.. gigabyte brix, steam box, 

Alienware alpha literally just came out, nobody knows how well it will perform. The gigabyte brix with the desktop 760 has heat problems. There is no such thing as a steambox (yet).

Okay, I will come at you with a perfect argument.

----------

First thing let’s get 2 things straight, console gaming IS PC gaming.  They have ALWAYS been computers, the difference is they are computers designed to do a specific task with a specific goal in mind.  The second thing is the consoles are becoming more of a general purpose device, not so much a gaming device.  This is why the PC vs Console debate is becoming more and more relevant.  Thus, they are not designed to do a specific task anymore, the gaming part is falling by the wayside.  There is NO arguing this.  Let’s take the Xbox One’s debut as an example, people were upset because it included a Kinect sensor and you HAD to use it, users debated that it would take up system resources, Microsoft said it wouldn’t be that big of a deal.  Turns out it was a big deal, in the tune of an 8% system performance kind of deal.  This is the kind of deal that a new $800 video card gives you over a $700 video card.  But, playing back on the console’s side, having a Kinect ABSOLUTLY POSITIVITLY WITHOUT ANY DOUBTS give you a better general purpose experience.  (Shit I would give anything to just be able to tell my computer “go to linustechtips.com” and it do it {I know you can do it with tons of software and stuff but that is the point of the console as we will get to later}).  Resource: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/14/xbox-one-performance-could-become-more-powerful-without-kinect

----------

First thing we will discuss is “PC gaming being cheaper”

Response:  You’re hitting this from the wrong angle dude.  You yourself said “No Black Friday sales or used/old stuff”, this must also include ANY sales.  Let’s take a look then, apples to apples:  (all prices are as of 11/27/2014 @ 7:00AM EST)

http://www.amazon.com/Battlefield-4-Xbox-360/dp/B00EFFW0HC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417089441&sr=8-1&keywords=Battlefield+4

The only console cheaper than the PC is the PS3 (The PC is almost $20 cheaper than Xbox One, and $10 cheaper than PS4)

http://www.amazon.com/Minecraft-Xbox-360/dp/B00BU3ZLJQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417089595&sr=8-1&keywords=minecraft

Minecraft is basically the same price, but we will give the nod to the consoles because its not “easily accessible” (ie can’t find a PC version on Amazon)

http://www.amazon.com/Diablo-III-PC-Mac/dp/B00178630A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417089694&sr=8-1&keywords=Diablo+3

$10 cheaper on the PC

Now lets ponder on WHY I chose these games?  Cause they are in the top 10 games played in October!  Why did I not include the other 7?  Because they aren’t made for the consoles.  Thus it is a 9 to 1 win for the PC’s.  But we will settle for a 2 to 1 win here. (Reference: http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/Raptrs-Top-PC-Games-October-2014 )

----------

Your next argument is upon building a PC.  My immediate argument is, well can you build me a console any easier?  But I digress, and will play your little game.

PC’s are NOT consoles, but consoles ARE PC’s.  This is the first thing you MUST come to understand.  All they are, are prebuilt PCs at low price points, that have all the horsepower pointed in the right directions, with an API and OS that don’t conflict with the gaming experience.  By this I mean “Playstation OS” will not start looking for a update right in the middle of a 40 on 40 CoD multiplayer scramble (yes this is a downfall of PC gaming {PC gamers shut up, I know you can disable updates but Jesus gave you a break, now give the console peasants a break}).

So back to your point, building a PC isn’t hard, but you’re not building a console you’re buying one.  Thus people who argue “Build your own PC instead of buying a console” have an invalid argument.  This is an apples vs oranges comparison.  Instead of buying a console you should buy a dedicated gaming PC.  Here is an appealing gaming PC that will work as an awesome console replacement:

http://www.amazon.com/Alienware-ASM100-1580-Console-i3-4130T-Processor/dp/B00MA7AMKY/ref=lp_8588813011_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1417090264&sr=1-5

It is about the same processing power as a console, for just a tad bit more price point. (Basically the cost of the Windows license)

If you want a more traditional computer, this would be a great option that offers more horsepower at a, non-debatable, higher price:

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-AG3-605-UR1C-Desktop-Processor/dp/B00K0K9PBA/ref=lp_8588813011_1_9?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1417090264&sr=1-9

Now, if you want to get into the P’s&Q’s of it, lets include the cost of your Television that you will use to play on.

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-42LB5600-42-Inch-1080p/dp/B00KVLT0A4/ref=sr_1_1?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1417090592&sr=1-1

That is the “most popular, under $500” on Amazon.  Basically $350 (for a base Xbox One) plus $350 (for the TV) equals out just under the price of the (non-debatable) more powerful desktop.

Building a PC isn’t hard, youre right.  But neither is buying a console.  This point has so many things wrong with it, NEITHER win.

----------

Going onto community, you have to be fucking insane…  CRAZY to think that consoler’s (if it’s not a word, it is now) are going to be more competent than PC gamers.  Consoles BIGGEST buyers are moms and dads for their teenagers.  MOST 25+ year old gamers, game on a PC.  Let’s look at two sources:

http://www.pcgamesn.com/pc-gamer-statistics-reveal-equal-gender-split-and-average-age-38 (states the average age of a PC gamer is 38)

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/726494/the-average-age-of-a-gamer-is-30-says-esa/ (states the average age of a gamer is 31 {this will obviously include PC gamers, which will bring the average up from a console ONLY age})

So once you take this into account OBVIOUSLY the PC gamer is older, THUS naturally more mature.  This is a TOTALLY accurate statement to make.  PC gamers are more mature, and the PC gaming community is a more mature community.

----------

It is just as difficult to lug your console, TV, controllers, and other peripherals around to someone’s house to set up a local multiplayer as it would be to do the same for PC.  Playing online is also just as difficult and as easy.  This is 100% draw, why did you even bring it up.  (Yes I know PC gamers, we can all just have nice and tidy notebooks and such to carry with us, once again Jesus said be nice)

----------

Buying a new console vs upgrading a new PC is a moot point.  Anyone who makes this argument, is like in the second argument you made, comparing apples to oranges.  I think that upgrades make hardly no since, you should build your computer with the next 3-5 years in mind, just like you should buy a console with the next 3-5 years in mind.  The only time I would suggest upgrades in the middle of a build cycle is adding more RAM or Storage.  (Maybe SLI’ing or Crossfiring a video card when the prices plummet and you can get one on sale)  Because the last generations of consoles lasted such a long time (this is mostly because they were selling at such a loss when they launched) I will give this nod to the consoles.  It IS more costly, time consuming, and downright frustrating to keep a computer up to date and bug free.

----------

I want to also point out a few of MY points for buying a PC (or building one) over getting a console:

1. Its EXACTLY what you want.  If you want a cheap computer, by shit do it!  If you want a balls hanging out one, do it!  If you want one that just looks cool and doesn’t do much, DO IT!  If you want a Mac (gulp) DO IT!
  2. Exclusive titles, BY FAR IN A MILLION AND ONE WAYS, many more titles on the PC that the consoles NEVER get to see.  Remember the list I gave you of the top ten most played games of October, 7 of them aren’t even out on console.  That is 70% of the game market isn’t on a console.
  3. Better accessories.  I can not only use a Playstation, Xbox, or Gamecube controller on my PC, I can also use a Logitech one, a flight joystick, a keyboard and mouse, a Razor controller, (do I really need to keep on going?)
  4. The biggest point of them all, if you had to pick a game to play (pick any one you want) would you rather play it on a console or on a PC?  Not, play it with such and such friends on this network.  Not, play it on MY PC or MY console.  Just pick, PC or console.  We would all choose PC just because it’s going to be better in EVERY single way.

----------

Now, I do want to address why consoles are around and what place they have in the world.

1. Consoles ARE cheap.  You CAN NOT buy or build a computer that has all its horses in the right spot to be as good of a gaming machine as a console.  It just can’t happen.  (I did not make the argument that you can’t build a gaming PC, just that you can’t build one as powerful)  Also, when the console makers decide to rely on the sales of games, and take a cut on the cost of upfront hardware, this argument is FULL SWING in favor of the consoles.
  2. Consoles are a MUCH more universal experience.  They are not as customizable, but they are so much more unified creating an EASIER way to make games.  As a programmer having 100 different video cards to worry about simply makes building a game hard to do.  When I only have to worry about 3-4 different variants on a console, it’s so much easier to make things look shinier.  (this is because on PC’s you have to make calculations and use processing power to work around the bugs that your native game has put into play on a certain configuration)  But getting back to the user part of this, it’s so much easier to tell someone how to listen to a song on a Xbox than it is on a PC, SIMPLY because there is 100 ways to do it on a PC and only 1 way on a console.  UNITY!!!
  3. Consoles are GREAT for family time and media consumption.  They have all the tools RIGHT THERE to watch movies, play music, games (both family fun games and serious games), be social with people (although in a closed network like Xbox Live and Playstation Network but once again, universal expierence)
  4. They don’t consume as much power and are built with a certain footprint, TDP, cost, and longevity in mind.  This is the truly extraordinary thing about consoles, they do what they do within (not 100 watts like the first post said) a certain power draw limit, heat output, cost, size, sex appeal, while still (in the grand scheme of things) very long lasting devices.  People will use the hell out of them for years and they still work!  So what if it breaks 3 years into its life, PCs do that too.  Not only that they did it with a crazy great balancing act.

----------

Consoles are not the answer for everyone, PC’s aren’t either.  Get what you WANT to get, but don’t just be blindly throwing your money at PS4 or Xbox One because it’s what your parents got you when you was 14.  Get the facts, noticed how I included like 3-4 reference points for everyone, yea it’s called research and goes really well with an essay like this one (btw 1800 words and just might make a school paper out of it).

---------------------------------edit-----------------------

Reasons for getting a Console: easy way to get a "1,2,3 game on" setup.  It is MEANT for kids, or adults, who don't have the knowledge of a PC or don't care to.

Reasons for getting a PC: everything else.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Udr04ot.jpg

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

Udr04ot.jpg

Better RMA value. RMA individual parts not having the entire package replaced.

"Instinct or Rationality; Which will you choose? Enchanted by a superiority complex"

"what you do in spite of internet speed is inspiring. :3" From Cae - 2015

It's easier to play on consoles for sure. 

How to play on a console:

Buy console.

Hook console to tv. 

Create account or login if you already have a microsoft account (a lot of people already do since windows 8). 

Buy Xbox live subscription.

Buy game, game auto downloads. 

Play game. 

How to play on a PC:

Spend time researching components on newegg/amazon and LTT.

Order parts and wait for them to arrive. 

Open parts, inspect for damage. 

Put parts together on test bench (on top of the motherboard box).

If it boots go forward, if not figure out why (this could take a long time if you don't know what you're doing and have to look to LTT to help).

Install OS.

Install drivers.

Test with Prime95 and benchmark software.

If everything works well, install everything into the case. 

Install steam. 

Create steam account.

Download game. 

Spend time messing with game settings. 

Play game.

The fact of the matter is that PC gaming does require a higher level of knowledge about your equipment. There is no way around it. How many times has an update cause a game to crash or not even load? Do you think a normal person would be able to figure that out, let alone want to deal with problems (albeit small) like this on a constant basis? 

Until SteamOS becomes a thing and takes a lot of the guess work and stress from PC gaming, it's going to be a hard sell for the typical console pleb that doesn't want/cant learn PC stuffs. 

Why do we need to test with Prime95 and benchmark software? That is for enthusiasts overclocking delights. 

Also premade computers exist.

"Instinct or Rationality; Which will you choose? Enchanted by a superiority complex"

Better RMA value. RMA individual parts not having the entire package replaced.

RMA video card, now pc is useless. That really isn't a good argument. It's similar to the old pc vs mac picture where the webcam breaks and you have to ship the whole thing to Apple for repair where on the PC you just replace the webcam. Yea, if the webcam breaks you have to ship the entire thing back... but how many threads have you ever seen where the webcam stopped working? I've not seen any (not that I was looking) so it really isn't that big of a deal. 

Why do we need to test with Prime95 and benchmark software?

I mean you can just assume everything works 100% if you like, but I like to make sure. There is nothing less fun that having to take your pc apart because you have cooling issues due to improper thermal paste application. 

RMA video card, now pc is useless. That really isn't a good argument. It's similar to the old pc vs mac picture where the webcam breaks and you have to ship the whole thing to Apple for repair where on the PC you just replace the webcam. Yea, if the webcam breaks you have to ship the entire thing back... but how many threads have you ever seen where the webcam stopped working? I've not seen any (not that I was looking) so it really isn't that big of a deal. 

You can actually run most games on intel built in graphics.

I don't want to play the latest games on 30 fps. It hurts my eyes.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

I mean you can just assume everything works 100% if you like, but I like to make sure. There is nothing less fun that having to take your pc apart because you have cooling issues due to improper thermal paste application. 

You do not count for all of us. I have personally enjoyed rebuilding my pc 5 times because I wanted neat cables.

Most people here that say "PCMasterRace" or something like that are being sarcastic and don't actually mean it.

If only that were true.

PC gaming allows you to play on a potato, or a computer that costs more than a car - you have complete choice over the quality of your experience depending on what you want to pay, and no single hardware company gets to have a monopoly/duopoly on your entire gaming system. Console gaming is one-size-fits-all, where everyone must have the same experience. you could buy the other console, but its really not much different. or you could buy the weird console, but its even more of a walled garden.

Analysis: PC gaming is to capitalism as Console gaming is to communism. that concept may go over many people's heads, but its fairly accurate. both exist because both kinds of gamers exist. well... except for the fun you can have by connecting a keyboard and mouse to a console and pwning everyone in online FPS.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

How to play on a PC:

Spend time researching components on newegg/amazon and LTT.

Order parts and wait for them to arrive. 

Open parts, inspect for damage. 

Put parts together on test bench (on top of the motherboard box).

If it boots go forward, if not figure out why (this could take a long time if you don't know what you're doing and have to look to LTT to help).

Install OS.

Install drivers.

Test with Prime95 and benchmark software.

If everything works well, install everything into the case. 

Install steam. 

Create steam account.

Download game. 

Spend time messing with game settings. 

Play game.

Never ran prime 95 in my whole life or any benchmark software and if you buy a prebuilt PC, then half of the steps are invalid

so basically

Plug in PC

Set up windows

install drivers

Create steam account

Buy game

Download game (it installs automatically)

Launch game

Change settings

Enjoy

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Never ran prime 95 in my whole life or any benchmark software and if you buy a prebuilt PC, then half of the steps are invalid

so basically

Plug in PC

Set up windows

install drivers

Create steam account

Buy game

Launch game

Change settings

Enjoy

Nvidia and amd make it easier, they have recommended settings stored in the cloud

I simply love follwing PCMR as it gets on people nerves, To me it's just a bit of fun but it also has a lot of truth to it

CPU: Intel i5 4670K 4.4GHZ  GPU: EVGA Superclocked+ GTX 980 Ti ACX 2.0+ 1446Mhz +35mV  MB: MSI Z87 GD65 GAMING Custom Matte Black Painted Chipset and VRM Heatsinks  RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB CL8 (1600MHZ)  CPU Cooler: Full Custom PETG loop with HardwLabs Black Ice Rads 1x280mm 1x360mm, EKWB CPU Acetal Nickel GPU Block  SSD: SanDisk ULTRA II 480GB HDD: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Blue  PSU: Corsair AX760 80+PLATINUM with Black Cable Mods Singular Sleeved Cables  Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D 3 Intake 3 Exhaust Notcua NF-A14 LTT EDITION  Mouse: Logitech G502 1750DPI Keyboard: Cooler Master Quickfire TK MX Blue Monitor: BENQ XL2411T 144HZ Headset : Logitech G430 7.1 Case Fans: LTT EDITION Noctuas 4 x 140mm & 2x 120mm all with white Chromax Anti-vibration pads Mouse Pad: Cooler Master CM Storm Speed-RX M

Nvidia and amd make it easier, they have recommended settings stored in the cloud

And many games have "auto detect settings"

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

And many games have "auto detect settings"

So now it is:

Plug in PC

Set up windows

install drivers (sometimes these are automatically installed)

Create steam account

Buy game

Launch game

Enjoy

Come at me.

PCMR argues its superiority for the wrong reasons, and why console plebs find PCMR to be irritating and foolish. Argue with me, if you'd like, but I feel like a lot of the arguments are not actually as solid as people would like to think. The ignorance of the PCMasterRace matches the ignorance they claim these console plebs have.

Somebody build me a $350 computer, with decent peripherals included, that can run all games on decent settings (ranging from 720-1080p), with a TDP of 100w, and is easy to set up. It also can't be based on Black Friday sales, used components, or old parts you "found throughout the house," because an Xbox One isn't based on any of those.

Come at me.

1) PC gaming is cheaper.

A: Dependent. What if, as I have now, I buy an Xbox One for $350, and get Destiny, Halo MCC, and Halo 5. I bought Destiny on sale for $30, with Xbox Live for $30, so that's a grand total of $530, and that's all I want. Now, to get a decent gaming computer to play all current games, I'm looking at a minimum of an i5-4440 and GTX 750 Ti, which could last awhile, but cost $500-600 depending on what else you buy on the PC (I've built 750 Ti & Pentium G3258 PCs for $500 with all the bling). Now include peripherals, then games, aaaaaannddd... The Xbox One was cheaper. Oh, well, that shouldn't happen, or be true, but it is. Also, people still buy games on release for PC at the full $60.

You can argue a G3258 is enough, but I disagree, since Far Cry 4 can't accommodate for Dual Cores, but the Xbox One can play FC4 fine.

2) Building a PC isn't hard.

A: It's not hard, but can be frustrating if you do something wrong. I can't say that "building a PC is hard" is a very effective argument, but I can easily argue, "I plugged in my Xbox, updated, and was ready to play." It was extremely easy, and still cheaper. Building a PC isn't hard, but setting up a console is even easier.

3) You have to deal with a cruddy community and little kids on a console.

A: I've met some really cool people on Destiny, and some really stupid kids on TF2. It's hard to summarize a community like that.

4) You can play with friends online.

A: It's 50x easier and cheaper to play with four friends in local multiplayer than setting up four laptops and computers for one game at one place.

5) You have to buy an entirely new console when Microsoft releases one.

A: And you have to upgrade a PC with the new consoles to match the new demands these new games might have. Ubisoft is a bad example, but a GTX 780 in the recommended specs for Watch_Dogs? That's probably just poor optimization, but I don't think PC will be getting the same great optimization that consoles have. There is also development on the Xbox 360 going on still, so you can easily wait for the next console to go down a little cheaper.

What do I think PCMR has? Obviously, a mouse and keyboard is undeniably the easier and better way to play. Not always comfortable for a couch or in local multiplayer, but the better way to play for a single gamer at a desk. Higher resolutions and better graphics is a major bonus for PC gaming. I'll argue with console plebs when one says the other is better, you're not buying the console for graphics, you're buying it for the exclusives, features, and controller. PC has the superior everything else. Modding support and better indie support, not to mention the constant F2P and reliance on digital media instead of physical discs (I prefer digital, but my internet is so bad). PC is, when you can afford it, the superior way to play games, but consoles are still great and serve a good purpose. At the price point they're being sold at, it's perfectly fine.

I like having a super PC, but the total and utter disrespect for consoles on here is ridiculous. They serve a purpose and they serve it well, I'm glad I own an Xbox One because of the games like Destiny and MCC. I have a minimum of 120 hours invested in Destiny already, but not so much on my PC for the past few months.

I'm also waiting for FC4 to go on sale for PC. I'd much rather have it on PC than console.

I like the way you mention we can't unclude parts on sales etc, but then you say you got destiny on sale in your example of that the xbone was cheaper ?

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

I like the way you mention we can't unclude parts on sales etc, but then you say you got destiny on sale in your example of that the xbone was cheaper ?

and not to mention free games when purchasing pc parts

flame-war.jpg

You my friend just made a huge mistake. PCMR is only used sarcastically so if you meet a PCMR and theyre serious, theyre not PCMR. besides, dis gon b gud.

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

As for doing a local play session with other people, the best console out there for that is WiiU. Super Smash Bros FTW. I don't see/know a lot of people with that console though. Most games stray away from 4 person split screen nowadays. Though, there are really good indie games on PC that do support 4 player local, but is not available to the Xbox One/PS4. Poor WiiU getting no love. :(