2 Seperate windows installations on 2 seperate SSD's, each one with it's own HDD assigned to it, restricting acces to 'the other side'

Redpalmtree
Go to solution Solved by dfsdfgfkjsefoiqzemnd,

Happy to help.

For your info, here's a screenshot of an edited GRUB.  That's my own (rather old) netbook, running a triple boot from a single SSD.  Same principle, both versions of windows don't show the other one's partition.

5po3fn.jpg

I named them normally, but you can call them "Work", "Private", "I like cake" or whatever you want.
Currently the 4th entry is highlighted on mine, but that's Memtest86+ (to make the proper entries more visible for my camera).
I set it up to give me this screen for 15 seconds, and boot whatever OS I used last if I don't respond in that timeframe.

excuse the AZERTY keyboards, we like to do things differently here.

-----

EDIT : And in case you were wondering : Neither Windows install will ever see the Linux partition due to Windows not supporting the format Linux uses (EXT2 or 3, even 4 on modern kernels)

-----

EDIT 2 : I completely forgot about the extra hard drives you mentioned in the 2nd part of your original post.  As you may have suspected already, the hiding trick will work for those too.
Drive letters are assigned by the active system.  Removing a drive letter in one Windows install will not affect anything in the other install. Basically you can have a C, D and E in the "Work" configuration and then a different C and D if you boot in the "Private" system. Pretty neat really.  You can even use a disk on multiple installs, giving it a different drive letter in each one if you want.

Linux will see all drives, which isn't really a problem. If he ever really needs to boot into Linux, it'll probably be for a good reason and access to all disks might come in handy.

One remark though if you want to use multi-boot in combination with secondary hard disks, and it's VERY important if you don't like clutter :

Windows and Linux have different ways of handling recycle bins.

Linux uses a ".Trash-####" folder (#### being the ID of the user who created the folder, usually 1000) with all the files neatly stored in it.

Windows 7 uses a "$RECYCLE.BIN" folder with several seemingly random files in there.

In both systems, these folders will only be created the first time you send stuff to the recycle bin.  In both systems you will see the other system's folder in the hard disk's root folder.

You can delete the windows bin when you're in Linux (although most experts advise against it), but not the other way around.

As soon as you move something to the recycle bin in Linux, the recycle bin folder will be created.  That one will be visible in Windows and you won't be able to delete or even hide it.  You can't delete the actual folder in Linux either.  Basically it'll be there until you format the partition it's on.

The only good solution is prevention.  When deleting files in Linux, always use the shift+del key combination to do a hard delete.  That way there's no bin involved.

I know that's a bit much info at one time, and in an in-depth discussion I reckon we're both better off doing it in Dutch.  So if you need help, feel free to PM me. 

I think that a physical switches are the way to go for the HDD's and SSD's. One Windows installation will be connected to the internet while the other is to work offline, and not completely shutting the other drives down will give certain virusses the ability to spread, won't they?

But how to find these switches, I can't find anything related

I think that a physical switches are the way to go for the HDD's and SSD's. One Windows installation will be connected to the internet while the other is to work offline, and not completely shutting the other drives down will give certain virusses the ability to spread, won't they?

But how to find these switches, I can't find anything related

Amazon.de has some.

http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=orico%20hdd%20switch

Typing "SATA switch" on ebay NL's homepage also produces several results.  Or you could do a google search to find out what's available, read reviews to make sure they're fit for your purpose (especially if you want to split from one switch to 3 drives) and then look for specific models.

Typing "SATA switch" on ebay NL's homepage also produces several results.  Or you could do a google search to find out what's available, read reviews to make sure they're fit for your purpose (especially if you want to split from one switch to 3 drives) and then look for specific models.

These are switches that go in optical drive bays, the NZXT h440 has none of these, unfortunately..

I think this will be impossible unless you mount the thing on top of your case and make hole in your case, haha

There's also this one, which uses a PCI slot, but it's pricey and he'll need to reach the back of the PC every time ... unless you can drill 4 holes in the case somewhere and have enough room for the circuit board.