No bootable device

lvh1

Hello guys

I've just remove the hard disk from my laptop as I wasn't using it a lot since I've put an ssd in it, and then this popped up: "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key. I am pretty sure I installed the OS on the ssd, any ideas why it is doing this? 

The SSD itself is fine, it is recognized in the bios. Any solutions other than reinstalling the whole OS? 

Thanks. 

Did you do a clean install?

I did do a clean install on the ssd when I installed it, but it seems it kept the bootloader (or whatever it is called, the thing that checks for bootable partitions) on the hard disk which I removed. 

Nevermind, fixed it myself. 

I've just inserted a windows 8.1 usb stick I had lying around, ran startup repair and it was fixed. 

Just for future reference, if you want to be able to remove an extra hard drive without issue, the hard drive (being removed) must be unplugged from the motherboard prior to installing Windows on the primary boot drive.  ie if you have 2 HDD/SSDs plugged into the mobo when you install Windows, they must both remain plugged in in order for Windows to run properly.  Even though you only installed Windows on one of those drives, some system files still go to other plugged in drives during installation.

"There are 10 types of people in the world: those that understand binary and those that do not."

CPU:  4790K @ 4.7GHz  Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VI Formula  RAM:  32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz  GPU:  (2) GTX 780 Poseidons in SLI  Case:  NZXT H440  Storage:  (2) Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs and (1) 4TB WD Black HDD  PSU:  EVGA Supernova G2 850w  Cooling:  Custom loop - Koolance 380i CPU block, (built-in waterblocks on GPUs), Alphacool VP655 pump, (1) 360mm XSPC radiator, (1) 240mm XSPC radiator, Bitspower 150 reservoir