A while back..I used my netbook and booted into Linux Mint16..it seemed too slow than usual until it hanged. I rebooted to Windows 7 then fell asleep. When I woke up, it was on standby at the login screen..I logged on and while waiting for everything to loadup, it again hanged. I restarted the pc and it showed "error: unknown filesystem grub rescue grub>"..I restarted a few time till I get to a working grub and booted on W7 which prompted repair that lasted almost 2hours..
At the loading screening suddenly an error saying "dwn.exe - system error..the program can't start because Windowscodecs.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."..then when it got past the loading screen, it hanged while loading desktop.

I used this computer a day before and it was working fine both on Linux and Windows..please help me fix this, I hope it's just OS problem..there's too many files there to be lost.

I dont know how to fix this, but you could take out the HDD and connect to tanother computer and copy the important data from it. If you cant fix it then reinstall everything.