Star Citizen: When should the Ship sales Stop?

CatCloud

Copy pasted from my thread on the RSI Forum in the Sub´s Den (non subbers cant read it)

So as many of you know many people don't like the whole idea of Buying ships, and even less because its Alpha.

Yeah Yeah it goes to development, and yeah yeah we don't HAVE to buy anything. 

But that's when the game is called "for the Rich" and "P2W" and that will harm the Reputation of the game.

Personally i bought some ships and im all fine with what i got, might do some Cross chassis upgrade down the line (if possible) but other than that im cool.

Anyway, How long will this keep going? Personally i would like it to end Before Beta is announced. and hopefully no more Anniversary sales because it just feels like a stab in the back when they put "limited" ships on sale again. 

I´ll throw out a poll and please leave a civil comment on your opinion because im very curious to see what you all think.

Also what if they only had two packages.

The Aurora Package for 50$ and the 300i package for 70$ and nothing more?

It´s still something.

And If people reaaaaallllllly want to donate more there is still the Subscription option. (IMO this is where the true supporters are)

And Yes i know... buying big fancy ships does not make you superior. All about them skillz and good loadout.

It should stop when Alpha stops in my opinion 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Copy pasted from my thread on the RSI Forum in the Sub´s Den (non subbers cant read it)

So as many of you know many people don't like the whole idea of Buying ships, and even less because its Alpha.

Yeah Yeah it goes to development, and yeah yeah we don't HAVE to buy anything.

But that's when the game is called "for the Rich" and "P2W" and that will harm the Reputation of the game.

Personally i bought some ships and im all fine with what i got, might do some Cross chassis upgrade down the line (if possible) but other than that im cool.

Anyway, How long will this keep going? Personally i would like it to end Before Beta is announced. and hopefully no more Anniversary sales because it just feels like a stab in the back when they put "limited" ships on sale again.

I´ll throw out a poll and please leave a civil comment on your opinion because im very curious to see what you all think.

Also what if they only had two packages.

The Aurora Package for 50$ and the 300i package for 70$ and nothing more?

It´s still something.

And If people reaaaaallllllly want to donate more there is still the Subscription option. (IMO this is where the true supporters are)

And Yes i know... buying big fancy ships does not make you superior. All about them skillz and good loadout.

Just to add my opinion to the P2W mentality, the 300i is not an upgrade to the Aurora, yes it goes faster and has bigger weapons but it has a smaller power plant meaning it takes less time for the weapons to drain.

What this means at the current moment with the Aurora is that they are an even match because I can shoot more for longer, personally I think the Aurora is better as the missiles have a quicker lock on.

I was one kill away from winning a team death match on my own yesterday, which would of happened if the damn 300i pilots didn't ram.

Just to add my opinion to the P2W mentality, the 300i is not an upgrade to the Aurora, yes it goes faster and has bigger weapons but it has a smaller power plant meaning it takes less time for the weapons to drain.

What this means at the current moment with the Aurora is that they are an even match because I can shoot more for longer, personally I think the Aurora is better as the missiles have a quicker lock on.

I was one kill away from winning a team death match on my own yesterday, which would of happened if the damn 300i pilots didn't ram.

"cough" m50"cough"

This place is moving a lot slower that I hoped, I already have over 40 votes at the rsi forum :(

Anyway, thanks for your input, I didn't know, neither of those ships has been very appealing to me as you know. But still good to know.

I don't really mind too much if they just continue on until release, but I feel like they should stop once the beta begins. At that point, everyone will have had an opportunity to check out all of the ships available to them (by flying them or through videos) and should know what they would like. Also, they probably wouldn't need so much funding at that point and should focus on selling the game to anyone who didn't back it.

As far as selling "limited" ships again, I've been lied to in the past (League of Legends did something similar with skin sales) and, although it doesn't matter too much in the long run, a week long sale was definitely excessive if they were going to have one at all.

I don't know enough about their current financial state or progress to venture a guess on what needs to be done about the sales.

I hope they stick to the idea of not selling ships when the game launches.  

Aren't subscriptions just to pay for the youtube shows and some subscriber perks, rather than the actual game?

I don't know enough about their current financial state or progress to venture a guess on what needs to be done about the sales.

I hope they stick to the idea of not selling ships when the game launches.  

Aren't subscriptions just to pay for the youtube shows and some subscriber perks, rather than the actual game?

The sub money is very divided. its goes more or less everywhere. but im guessing they ended up with So many Subscribers they could pull off those shows as well.

IMO it depends what you mean by "sales", I'm happy with basic ships being sold right up till release as every day more people are finding out about SC and should have the option of jumping on-board early even if relative to most of us they are late ;) On the other hand I think actual "sales!" with limited and/or variant ships would be better off being stopped at beta as it gives really early backers a little something special.

Ideally I would like ship prices to slowly drift upward till they reach "retail" prices at release so CIG don't miss out on revenue they could have generated due to an influx of slightly pre-release sales.

At the end of the day it doesn't really bother me how they go about it as long as they are pulling in enough money to make it TBDSSE and keep it running for 10+ years I'll be happy, I don't have a problem with people having access to whatever ships they like as long as we don't have capitol ship etc. saturation (which they seem to be aware of and are managing with limited releases) at the end of the day I'll still be able to earn what those "rich" backers have in game and hopefully still be able to out class most of them with my mad skillz even in my Aurora ;)

"cough" m50"cough"

This place is moving a lot slower that I hoped, I already have over 40 votes at the rsi forum :(

Anyway, thanks for your input, I didn't know, neither of those ships has been very appealing to me as you know. But still good to know.

Well I'm not an expert on all the ships but I have been making use of the free weeks, the M50 feels the different to the 300i and Aurora and the lack of upgrades and hardpoints make it balanced in a different way.

On a side note, are you ok mate?

I am not mentally blind to ever buy ships that costs 100$ and more!

It depends on how devoted you are to the game, for me I grew up playing Chris Roberts games so knowing how good they are I would spend $10,000 on the war pack if I could.

I believe that supporting the development of the game doesn't have much in common with mental disabilities.

I believe that supporting the development of the game doesn't have much in common with mental disabilities.

Yep it doesn't.But look at the prices.NVM

Sure it's a lot.

But that's the rules of economy man, if you have ppl willing to pay then you'd be stupid not to take the opportunity. In the end he's doing this game for the money.

It's to prevent flooding, $40 will get you a full sized singled player game along with an MMOSS.

Now think about if they had the hornet, m50, cutlass for the same price as the Aurora.

You purchase the base game when its released you go online and are overwhelmed by hornets, m50 and cutlasses, your gonna die a lot.

I've put around 200 into this game. Avenger and Hornet. I'm considering getting another ship, don't know which one yet. 

They can keep selling ships as much as they want. Its Pay 2 Win in the sense that you can literally buy the best ship. But can you use it? Cause that matters too. I can load my Hornet up bristling with every single gun known to the universe, doesn't mean anything if I fly like a moron and get obliterated by the M50 that strafed me in one go because I fly like a donkey. 

I've put around 200 into this game. Avenger and Hornet. I'm considering getting another ship, don't know which one yet. 

They can keep selling ships as much as they want. Its Pay 2 Win in the sense that you can literally buy the best ship. But can you use it? Cause that matters too. I can load my Hornet up bristling with every single gun known to the universe, doesn't mean anything if I fly like a moron and get obliterated by the M50 that strafed me in one go because I fly like a donkey. 

Yeah its down to skills, but that begs the questions. that is the best ships? The biggest one? Really, there is no "best" ship considering how many different things its possible to do within the game.

I highly doubt a Idris or Bengal would be better at exploring then a Carrack for example. but is then Carrack the "best" explorer? no.

and you cant really fit EVERY gun to a hornet. you have gun class limits.

it would be fun to se a Hornet with a railgun from an Idris though :P