Audio-Technica headphones

At the the moment i am looking a the ATH-A500x, but I was wanting to know if I should consider getting the ATH-M40x's. Does anyone have either of them and/or advise me on which I should pick. Any feedback would be helpful.

ive got the m20xs and they are pretty good, so i'd probably go with the same line if i were to upgrade. (so the m40xs)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

ive got the m20xs and they are pretty good, so i'd probably go with the same line if i were to upgrade. (so the m40xs)

What do you use them for predominantly, I'm pretty keen on using them for gaming as well as movies and music

I would personally go with the A500x between the two since those are open. I would also suggest the Sennheiser HD-518 as an alternative.

"Graphics and gameplay are not mutually exclusive."

"Nvidia, AMD, Intel, or whatever company out there has only one end goal and that is PROFIT.

If you think these companies exist for any other reason you're gonna be disappointed my dear. CAVEAT EMPTOR"

What do you use them for predominantly, I'm pretty keen on using them for gaming as well as movies and music

some gaming, mainly music.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I would personally go with the A500x between the two since those are open. I would also suggest the Sennheiser HD-518 as an alternative.

The A500x's aren't open the AD500x's are but would that be the only reason, because I've heard the the A500x's are more fragile. But in terms of sound quality which is better and by how much. Also I'm not that keen on open back as they would have more limited uses than closed back for me.

The A500x's aren't open the AD500x's are but would that be the only reason, because I've heard the the A500x's are more fragile. But in terms of sound quality which is better and by how much. Also I'm not that keen on open back as they would have more limited uses than closed back for me.

Oh sorry for the confusion. How much is your budget btw. Teksyndicate made a couple of youtube videos with some recommendations for $50 and $150 budgets, I would suggest you check them out. But most of their suggestions are open headphones.

"Graphics and gameplay are not mutually exclusive."

"Nvidia, AMD, Intel, or whatever company out there has only one end goal and that is PROFIT.

If you think these companies exist for any other reason you're gonna be disappointed my dear. CAVEAT EMPTOR"

Main difference one is open one is closed.

M40X: Closed, narrower sound stage but more noise isolation, generally good when you have a noisy environment and you want to block out the sound or when you don't want others to hear what you're listening to. 

AD500x: Open, better sound stage, ears won't sweat after long periods of gaming, good when you want to hear other people talking or if you live alone. 

Sound wise, AD500X is probably better because it is a open-back headphone, but if you want noise isolation go for the M40x. 

Edit: Saw that is was the A500x instead of the AD500x.

A500x: I don't know much about it, but I know the M40x's are very good. Since they're both closed-back, go for the M40x, it's newer and very good for its price. 

Oh sorry for the confusion. How much is your budget btw. Teksyndicate made a couple of youtube videos with some recommendations for $50 and $150 budgets, I would suggest you check them out. But most of their suggestions are open headphones.

Yeah i've seen their videos thanks

I'd go 500X. Open design is better for gaming and has a more open soundstage, however, not as good of noise isolation. This video is helpful

I can understand that but i was wanting to know how to choose between the m40x/m50x and the A500x

Open is always better unless you need isolation - then open is the devil.

yeah thats part of the reason why i dont want open back

Main difference one is open one is closed.

M40X: Closed, narrower sound stage but more noise isolation, generally good when you have a noisy environment and you want to block out the sound or when you don't want others to hear what you're listening to. 

AD500x: Open, better sound stage, ears won't sweat after long periods of gaming, good when you want to hear other people talking or if you live alone. 

Sound wise, AD500X is probably better because it is a open-back headphone, but if you want noise isolation go for the M40x. 

Edit: Saw that is was the A500x instead of the AD500x.

A500x: I don't know much about it, but I know the M40x's are very good. Since they're both closed-back, go for the M40x, it's newer and very good for its price. 

Thanks this is very helpful 

Oh I missed the lack of the D as well (we always expect the D). B)

I'd vote M40X due to the removable cable alone.

Oh I missed the lack of the D as well (we always expect the D). B)

I'd vote M40X due to the removable cable alone.

thanks

A500x would be a better investment IMO, unless you're planning to take it out and about, the A/AD series are literally the same, they offer the same house AT signature that you may or may not like, except one's open and one's closed.  Most people say that the A-series already has a very large soundstage, especially compared to the M offerings.  

The M40x is a better fit if you happen to like mainstream v-shaped audio or need portability. That doesn't make the A/AD any worse at electro-pop and the like, it's just got a more consumer oriented sound.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

A500x would be a better investment IMO, unless you're planning to take it out and about, the A/AD series are literally the same, they offer the same house AT signature that you may or may not like, except one's open and one's closed.  Most people say that the A-series already has a very large soundstage, especially compared to the M offerings.  

The M40x is a better fit if you happen to like mainstream v-shaped audio or need portability. That doesn't make the A/AD any worse at electro-pop and the like, it's just got a more consumer oriented sound.

Yeah thanks, but you're right i probably will go with the M40x's as I do want to use in places other than at home

if you only have 100ich dollar sennheiser hd 558 is a good choice to, they dont have much bass if that is something you want to, with th right music so can they be as good as my sennheiser hd 600 or Mad Dog by MrSpeakrs 

HD558 :http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-558-Headphones/dp/B004FEEY9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416985867&sr=8-1&keywords=hd558&pebp=1416985868299

HD600 :http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Dynamic-Professional-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B00004SY4H/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416987673&sr=8-1&keywords=hd600&pebp=1416987673868

Mad Dog :https://mrspeakers.com/product/mad-dog-leather-alpha-pads-comfort-strap/

if you only have 100ich dollar sennheiser hd 558 is a good choice to, they dont have much bass if that is something you want to, with th right music so can they be as good as my sennheiser hd 600 or Mad Dog by MrSpeakrs 

HD558 :http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-558-Headphones/dp/B004FEEY9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416985867&sr=8-1&keywords=hd558&pebp=1416985868299

HD600 :http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Dynamic-Professional-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B00004SY4H/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416987673&sr=8-1&keywords=hd600&pebp=1416987673868

Mad Dog :https://mrspeakers.com/product/mad-dog-leather-alpha-pads-comfort-strap/

Thanks but not that keen on open backs, mostly because other people will be able to hear what I am listening to, which is fine for in my room, but out and about that's not such a good thing.

Thanks but not that keen on open backs, mostly because other people will be able to hear what I am listening to, which is fine for in my room, but out and about that's not such a good thing.

some of my fav cheap closed is the audio-technica ath-m50x

m50x: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416995699&sr=8-1&keywords=m50x&pebp=1416995701052

i have the same situation as @Mickster,but in my case it's between the M30X-M40X

i have the same situation as @Mickster,but in my case it's between the M30X-M40X

@Wind, check out this video, 

it might be able to help you make a decision.