Newly built computer, everything powers but no display to monitor.

NickTaylor
  • Problem: When I turn the computer on, the heatsink fan and graphics card fan turns on and works like normal, everything seems to be fine, just there is no display to the monitor. I tried with 2 different monitors that I know work, one with VGA and the other with DVI.

• OS: No operating system right now (plan to temporarily use Ubuntu 64 bit)

Specs:

• Motherboard:    MSI A78M-E35
  • Graphics Card: GT 610                                                          (Got it when I bought my main desktop, Reinstalled into my main without issue.)
  • Processor:        AMD Athlon  X4 860K (Stock Heatsink)         (Checked for bent pins before and after installation, all good)
  • HDD:                  Western Digital Black 2.5" 500 GB                (Tried booting with and without HDD plugged in, same issue.)
  • Power Supply:  Turbolink 500w                                              (Also got it when I bought my main desktop, never had an issue.)
  • RAM:                 GSkill Ripjaw 4GB                                          (Installed both sticks into my main desktop, worked fine.)

Bios Version: Whatever came with the board I assume. I can't get into the bios to look.

TL;DR: When I turn my new built computer on everything powers up, but there's no display to the monitor. It never did display to the monitor.

Need help fixing this, This computer is for my brother and I'd like to get it to him soon. Any help is appreciated.

(Sorry for bad image quality, I don't have a good camera.)

post-164691-0-86051200-1416961146_thumb.

Try booting off the iGPU video outputs.

Try using the onboard video outputs.

Just tried that, despite there being no integrated graphics. Still not working. I forgot to point out in the OP that I went through the whole checklist in this site and Tom's Hardware, all to no avail.

Just tried that, despite there being no integrated graphics. Still not working. I forgot to point out in the OP that I went through the whole checklist in this site and Tom's Hardware, all to no avail.

Sounds like a faulty processor motherboard.

Sounds like a faulty processor motherboard.

If you think that's what it is I'll try sending it back for a new one. I bought it from NCIX so I think they have a limited warrenty.

If you are using a monitor with a 21 : 9 aspect ratio or greater it wont work unless on display port. 

If you are using a monitor with a 21 : 9 aspect ratio or greater it wont work unless on display port. 

Nah, tried it with a 4:3 and a 16:10.

Check the metal pins inside the DVI connector and see if they're bent. They should all point straight.

Or, try a different cable.

Nah, tried it with a 4:3 and a 16:10.

Are you sure you don't need like a adapter or anything also does the GPU have a HDMI display port ? try plugging it into your tv or something.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Are you sure you don't need like a adapter or anything also does the GPU have a HDMI display port ? try plugging it into your tv or something.

It has HDMI, I'll try that now.

It has HDMI, I'll try that now.

Nope, HDMI doesn't work either.

Try placing it into a different slot.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Try another PCI slot?

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

Try placing it into a different slot.

Only one PCIe slot.

Only one PCIe slot.

Try removing it and placing it back in.

If you have another PC around try testing that GPU to see if that is the problem. If not, it's probably the motherboard.

Edit: Didn't see that you already tried that. Maybe, try another GPU in that slot to check if it's the PCI slot? If you have a working GPU laying around. 

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

If you have another PC around try testing that GPU to see if that is the problem. If not, it's probably the motherboard.

Edit: Didn't see that you already tried that. Maybe, try another GPU in that slot to check if it's the PCI slot? If you have a working GPU laying around. 

Sorry for late response, didn't get a notification.

I might be able to use another, but I know it's not the GPU so I assume it'd be the motherboard.

Is the board and cpu compatible? And if the motherboard is broken why does everything light up?

Okay so I just exchanged the motherboard for a new one (same model) and it's still not working. I tried it with another graphics card again, still not working. PCPartPicker said

"Some AMD A78 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Kaveri CPUs" 

I looked up how to update the BIOS without a display, but couldn't find any solid answers. Anyone have ideas?

Is the board and cpu compatible? And if the motherboard is broken why does everything light up?

They are, I looked it up before they were bought and it says they are on the MSI website.

Don't troubling yourself,Just returning this board and ask exchange(If it's an option) a Gigabyte or Asus or AsRock motherboard(maybe few dollars more) and wooohooo plug n' play...

It's definitely the board's problem,better change to another brands...

Seriously..If you can buy a MSI board and have no issue...then you're lucky enough to win the lottery ticket...