AMD's 380X preview (Captain Jack?)

Linusinium

i hope this is true. would love to get some competition going again

Personal computer master race

That would be 390X. If the 390X performs that poorly with a node advantage, it would look really bad.

SiSoft's benchmarks are like the WCCFtech for numbers. The only useful let alone interesting information is validated hardware specifications.

AMD must love LTT, hardly a ounce of official information and already people are creaming their pants over how powerful the latest card to be released next year is.

Marketing at it's best.  I think apple should give AMD one of their medals for this effort.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

lol its hillarious to read some comments here.

Nvidia drivers are nothing better then AMD drivers.

They both have theire issues.

just stop this garbage ;)

*their

"Instinct or Rationality; Which will you choose? Enchanted by a superiority complex"

"what you do in spite of internet speed is inspiring. :3" From Cae - 2015

I don't know if you are just dumb, in denial or just missinformed. But i kinda like the "drivers have no problems for me, so they are fine" mentality.

First off, there are alot of people with issues  with AMD drivers for more then a year, on destop, on modern GPUs. Here are a few examples: features like types of AA not working after you turn on other features like AO;  GPU clocks locking on UVD/desktop clocks when you go on a fullscreen 3d application; some types of video not being acelerated, Bad scaling on few monitors, horrible scaling on cf (just read guru3d forum and you will see).

These aren't minor things. They would be minor if they got fixed 1-2 months after with a new driver. Some of these persist for more than a year.

Secondly, i didn't talk about "texture" quality, so stop reading only what you want to read. I specificly mentioned stuff like AO and said that stuff like this, enchanced godrays, physx in few cases and other stuff, makes the games more eye candy. That, for me, matters. I couldn't care less if that doesn't matter for you. Also, i got all this from personal experience. I don't go around reading random retarded google stuff to be posting here. I kinda even tried few stuff trading gpu's (780 isnt mine) and yes, i do prefer the nvidia side of things.

In the end, what i meant was: if i have 2k USD at this precise moment, and want to build a system, i would build an nvidia one. I would get a more pleasing experience with than if i bough and AMD one. I would have physx if i wanted to, gsync (wich is godlike) if i wanted to, and few other good stuff. I would get more stable drivers, more intuitive software (nvidia experience >raptr imo), etc, etc..

And no, i'm not saying that AMD is bad, but they need to kick it up a notch, specially on the software side of things. 

Certainly not dumb, in denial or feed off others information. I don't need other people to tell me what I already know. The "drivers aren't a problem for me and have never have been" is proof of concept that more than likely 90% of your problems are due to user error. All AA works fine never had a problem (user error). GPU clocks don't even collate with UVD (co-processor) or the desktop (software w/ hardware acceleration) so you're spewing nonsense with that one. Again video acceleration is either due to user error or a software issue or limitation. I've been leverage DXVA2 just fine without any problems, ever. As for Crossfire I haven't seen people with any issues in a long while. I also honestly could care less about it as I prefer single GPU solutions (both SLI and Crossfire scaling is horrible). So as you can see more than 90% of your problems are oriented towards your own user error.

You are referring to texture quality when you think Nvidia drivers provide better picture quality over AMD. Drivers and hardware play little to no part in picture quality. The only advantages that Nvidia has in this department is PhysX which is an exclusive SDK now days and their new DSR. Which is nothing more than taking the games highest resolution textures and downscaling them. Other than that there's no advantage in the picture quality between either manufacture. I for one honestly could care less about the extra eye candy that PhysX provides as well. Like said it's an exclusive SDK now (only 4 game titles used it in 2014). AMD brought forth something even better than what PhysX could ever be, Mantle. Now before you get off on a tangent over Mantle it wasn't designed just to boost performance. Mantle allows direct hardware access between the game engine and the device driver (no limiting layers in between like DirectX). How does this collate with PhysX? Simply put we can send larger and a higher number of batches to the GPU without any API overhead. Which means we can draw more objects in game, add more particle effects, among others while maintaining the same performance numbers you would generally get while running the game on DirectX. You like Nvidia and that's fine everyone has a favorable brand or company.

If I had that kind of money to invest towards a new build I wouldn't buy Nvidia. The reason for this is not because I am a AMD fanboy but more over that I would wait for Broadwell and the R9 300 series before pulling the trigger on the GTX 900 series. The R9 390x is shaping up to be a monster of a single GPU solution. I would rather spend the few extra bucks and not need to Crossfire or SLI later on down the line (neither scale well when it comes to price to performance). A majority of display manufactures are likely to adopt FreeSync for it being free of licensing and cost of extra hardware. If you ask me FreeSync has a better implementation and is a better solution compared to G-Sync. Current displays are even capable of supporting FreeSync. The only problem is device manufactures aren't going to roll out a firmware update to add FreeSync support. As for software I personally think it's all crap from both manufactures. I prefer using better third party software instead of proprietary and if it doesn't exist I write it myself. Also keep in mind Raptr isn't developed nor owned by AMD.

I'm throwing it out there that you are running a fanboy mill and essentially trashing AMD in your posts. They don't need to kick anything up a notch they are doing extremely well in the GPU market. Both companies could spend more time with their software that's agreeable. Tho personally CCC is rock solid stable and anything else really isn't needed.

Certainly not dumb, in denial or feed off others information. I don't need other people to tell me what I already know. The "drivers aren't a problem for me and have never have been" is proof of concept that more than likely 90% of your problems are due to user error. All AA works fine never had a problem (user error). GPU clocks don't even collate with UVD (co-processor) or the desktop (software w/ hardware acceleration) so you're spewing nonsense with that one. Again video acceleration is either due to user error or a software issue or limitation. I've been leverage DXVA2 just fine without any problems, ever. As for Crossfire I haven't seen people with any issues in a long while. I also honestly could care less about it as I prefer single GPU solutions (both SLI and Crossfire scaling is horrible). So as you can see more than 90% of your problems are oriented towards your own user error.

You are referring to texture quality when you think Nvidia drivers provide better picture quality over AMD. Drivers and hardware play little to no part in picture quality. The only advantages that Nvidia has in this department is PhysX which is an exclusive SDK now days and their new DSR. Which is nothing more than taking the games highest resolution textures and downscaling them. Other than that there's no advantage in the picture quality between either manufacture. I for one honestly could care less about the extra eye candy that PhysX provides as well. Like said it's an exclusive SDK now (only 4 game titles used it in 2014). AMD brought forth something even better than what PhysX could ever be, Mantle. Now before you get off on a tangent over Mantle it wasn't designed just to boost performance. Mantle allows direct hardware access between the game engine and the device driver (no limiting layers in between like DirectX). How does this collate with PhysX? Simply put we can send larger and a higher number of batches to the GPU without any API overhead. Which means we can draw more objects in game, add more particle effects, among others while maintaining the same performance numbers you would generally get while running the game on DirectX. You like Nvidia and that's fine everyone has a favorable brand or company.

If I had that kind of money to invest towards a new build I wouldn't buy Nvidia. The reason for this is not because I am a AMD fanboy but more over that I would wait for Broadwell and the R9 300 series before pulling the trigger on the GTX 900 series. The R9 390x is shaping up to be a monster of a single GPU solution. I would rather spend the few extra bucks and not need to Crossfire or SLI later on down the line (neither scale well when it comes to price to performance). A majority of display manufactures are likely to adopt FreeSync for it being free of licensing and cost of extra hardware. If you ask me FreeSync has a better implementation and is a better solution compared to G-Sync. Current displays are even capable of supporting FreeSync. The only problem is device manufactures aren't going to roll out a firmware update to add FreeSync support. As for software I personally think it's all crap from both manufactures. I prefer using better third party software instead of proprietary and if it doesn't exist I write it myself. Also keep in mind Raptr isn't developed nor owned by AMD.

I'm throwing it out there that you are running a fanboy mill and essentially trashing AMD in your posts. They don't need to kick anything up a notch they are doing extremely well in the GPU market. Both companies could spend more time with their software that's agreeable. Tho personally CCC is rock solid stable and anything else really isn't needed.

first off, you didn't even read what i wrote?

Secondly, you keep talking about the stuff that works for you. The clocks locking problem isn't just with me. If it isn't drivers problem, why would the gpu lock at 870 because of chrome and not at 1020 when there is obviously a full screen 3d app running? why the fuk would the clocks not prioritise the 3d app? Also, this is a recurrent problem, it has hapenned before, do your research lol.

Third, and again, i mentioned the stuff that nvidia has to make the games more eye candy. You get a better experience by playing with nvidia stuff. If you have a normal game without any special nvidia crap then AMD=Nvidia, IQ wise...

Lastly, inform yourself. Use google for god's sake. Manufacturers already said that they need to hardware in the monitors to make the new vesa standard work. And you can't make i work with AMD hardware unless you have a new gpu arq, like 260's or 290's, or after that. Not even a 280 works with it; unlike nvidia wich makes it not needed for gpu upgrade to use it. 

And fcking finally, stop pointing your finger calling other fanboys. I'm a fcking AMD user, both on fcking desktop and laptop. I'm not an nvidia fanboy, but that doesn't make me retarded blind and uninformed, unlike you.

SiSoft's benchmarks are like the WCCFtech for numbers.

So they're accurate a lot of the time but there's a bandwagon of hate against them due to them being horribly wrong once?

You have got to be kidding me...

This fanboy crap is getting really annoying. It's like some of you just haven't been in the PC business long enough to cure yourselves of idiotic loyalty. It's understandable to pick a favorite when 2 competing GPU's are within 5% of each other even though the consumer should strive for the best price/performance ratio. However I see people so entrenched in fanboyism and desperate enough to shoot down everything the competition has to offer. Which is beyond retarded because guess what? Even If you feel nothing but irrational hatred for AMD, you should at least have the open mind to realize how you may benefit from that.

Company A makes a better product than company B, if you are a fan of company B, you can look forward to better or cheaper products from company B, it's that simple. But noooo, some of you want AMD dead so badly, you must be hallucinating if you are thinking that Nvidia would continue to improve each generation without AMD around to push them.

Even if you are a diehard Nvidia fan, you should hope rumors like these pan out because A) you need AMD to keep Nvidia in check (hello $1k GPU's) and B) Nvidia has to respond to a good AMD product in a way that benefits the consumers.

And no, I am not a AMD fanboy, I'm a fan of price/performance. It doesn't matter if you are building a $500 or a $5000 PC, you should always go for the best performing parts at the moment, loyalty to specific businesses is beyond retarded, you are a consumer and they are selling you products.

For the tinfoil hats out there still thinking I'm some kind of AMD shill, here is a receipt from a card I bought last night. And since pics of older PC's I built, here is the oldest one I can find, some of you probably didn't even know how to read when these came out:

neweggxrlq8.jpg

11-04-05_1742_85225r0i.jpg

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

Even If you feel nothing but irrational hatred for AMD, you should at least have the open mind to realize how you may benefit from that.

Company A makes a better product than company B, if you are a fan of company B, you can look forward to better or cheaper products from company B, it's that simple. 

It's really sad that basic economics need to be constantly explained to what should otherwise be an intelligent community. Fanboyism is blinding these people so much, that they aren't any different than the silly people arguing over Sony vs MS vs Nintendo. I'm noticing a very rapid and continuous decline of the intelligence of the PC community (on average that is). Maybe that's because the PC as a gaming platform has been booming in recent years, and more and more halfwits got involved in it. But that's also due to the fact that this forum in particular has been overrun by 14 year olds who are actively trying to make this place worse than the YouTube comment section.

My PC: CPU: Intel Core i3 3220, MB: ASUS P8P67 LE, GPU: Palit Jetstream GTX 670, RAM: 4GB 1333mhz DDR3, Storage: 750GB Hitachi, PSU: CoolerMaster G650M 80+ Bronze, Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus, Case: Multirama, Display: Acer x229w 22" 1680x1050, Keyboard: Logitech K120, Mouse: Steelseries Kinzu v2, Sound: Logitech 2.1 system

This fanboy crap is getting really annoying. It's like some of you just haven't been in the PC business long enough to cure yourselves of idiotic loyalty. It's understandable to pick a favorite when 2 competing GPU's are within 5% of each other even though the consumer should strive for the best price/performance ratio. However I see people so entrenched in fanboyism and desperate enough to shoot down everything the competition has to offer. Which is beyond retarded because guess what? Even If you feel nothing but irrational hatred for AMD, you should at least have the open mind to realize how you may benefit from that.

Company A makes a better product than company B, if you are a fan of company B, you can look forward to better or cheaper products from company B, it's that simple. But noooo, some of you want AMD dead so badly, you must be hallucinating if you are thinking that Nvidia would continue to improve each generation without AMD around to push them.

Even if you are a diehard Nvidia fan, you should hope rumors like these pan out because A) you need AMD to keep Nvidia in check (hello $1k GPU's) and B) Nvidia has to respond to a good AMD product in a way that benefits the consumers.

And no, I am not a AMD fanboy, I'm a fan of price/performance. It doesn't matter if you are building a $500 or a $5000 PC, you should always go for the best performing parts at the moment, loyalty to specific businesses is beyond retarded, you are a consumer and they are selling you products.

Nailed it exactly. Well said.

So tired of all the "brand X is better than brand Y" blanket-statements lacking any factual context. <_<

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I know. Same thing with 8350 vs. 4670K shouldn't be about AMD vs. Intel. Just get the product that is objectively better and stop limiting your options to a brand.

It has a lot to do with invested interest. Just like people are clinging for dear life to consoles. They're objectively very bad machines, yet still people defend them to death because... XBOX vs. Playstation or Sony vs. Microsoft. Noone made a mistake, so they try to reduce dissonance by actually buying into the corporate bullshit and start believing the hypes and actively defend it.

For the tinfoil hats out there still thinking I'm some kind of AMD shill, here is a receipt from a card I bought last night. And since pics of older PC's I built, here is the oldest one I can find, some of you probably didn't even know how to read when these came out:

neweggxrlq8.jpg

11-04-05_1742_85225r0i.jpg

Duuuuude I also had a 7800 GT. Great card, back in the day.

Anyway, well fucking said.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I´m getting tired of fanboys realy :D

They dont make any sense, only wasting webspace.

I´m getting tired of fanboys realy :D

They dont make any sense, only wasting webspace.

Pretty much. The only ones who want brand loyalty is the brand themselves. Then they can sell crap to you for top dollars. Brand loyalty is indeed stupid. I've been guilty of this from time to time, but usually I get better. At least I hope so :)

Neither well, nor normal.

It's really sad that basic economics need to be constantly explained to what should otherwise be an intelligent community. Fanboyism is blinding these people so much, that they aren't any different than the silly people arguing over Sony vs MS vs Nintendo. I'm noticing a very rapid and continuous decline of the intelligence of the PC community (on average that is). Maybe that's because the PC as a gaming platform has been booming in recent years, and more and more halfwits got involved in it. But that's also due to the fact that this forum in particular has been overrun by 14 year olds who are actively trying to make this place worse than the YouTube comment section.

Pretty much, it seems younger generations are jumping aboard the #PCMasterRace and bringing their half witted know it all attitudes with them.

About the only thing I would add is that if AMD did cease to exist (and the same thing can be said if we reversed the roles) is that Nvidia would still continue to improve their products, it just wouldn't be as often.  This is because the drive for improvement would shift from trying to compete with another company to trying to encourage people to upgrade more frequently. Even with a monopoly there is still a requirement to improve a product or the revenue from sales will start to fall, and monopoly or not, no company wants that.  Would the price go up? yes, but it would still only go as far as the general consumer can afford.  In short Nvidia would still have to offer products worth buying with an edge to make them appealing when an upgrade is not necessary.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

• 3 weeks later...

As long as AMD's new cards are decently competitive on all fronts (including power consumption) AND have a decent stock AIR cooler on the high end which nvidia have had now for 2 generations then I don't really care. If they require an aftermarket cooler like Hawaii then I think they need someone to replace their head of engineering in the heatsink department.

I am addicted to building gaming PCs but I don't have a great reason to stop...yet...