AMD's 380X preview (Captain Jack?)

Linusinium

I'm kind of laughing at everyone who thinks this is the 390x and are making thermal jokes :P

Yes, we get it. You like NVIDIA. But really people? Why don't we wait and see. Given everything we know (which admittedly isn't much) about upcoming 3xx arch, this is exactly the performance the 380x should be at.

I think some oven jokes are funny even though I am not particularly fond of Nvidia. The "no driver" jokes are sometimes funny as well. The same goes for all the 1.7% yield, wood screws and Fermi heat jokes that were everywhere at the Fermi launch.

If you can't laugh at jokes about your favorite brand then you're taking it far too seriously.

Comic from back in the Fermi days:

post-216-0-78413800-1416999876_thumb.jpg

I think some oven jokes are funny even though I am not particularly fond of Nvidia. The "no driver" jokes are sometimes funny as well. The same goes for all the 1.7% yield, wood screws and Fermi heat jokes that were everywhere at the Fermi launch.

If you can't laugh at jokes about your favorite brand then you're taking it far too seriously.

Comic from back in the Fermi days:

attachicon.gif1331933347798.jpg

That's fucking gold, you are on winning run with the funny stuff. :D

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

The cards will be launched and on the market in that time.

I don't see it launching before April. So, more like 5 months, but still.

Broken image?

It shows fine on my end. Here it is uploaded to another host. 

10384518_734552756626481_238640789030693

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10384518_734552756626481_2386407890306934093_n.jpg?oh=9824e5f14cc6ea0f463cf4c4700fd854&oe=54D4E3B4&__gda__=1427202621_958e49e27476829d7b70169fae7f1e26

Maybe it didn't show on your end because I linked it directly from the Chinese website, and your ISP might have blocked the access to those servers. 

My PC: CPU: Intel Core i3 3220, MB: ASUS P8P67 LE, GPU: Palit Jetstream GTX 670, RAM: 4GB 1333mhz DDR3, Storage: 750GB Hitachi, PSU: CoolerMaster G650M 80+ Bronze, Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus, Case: Multirama, Display: Acer x229w 22" 1680x1050, Keyboard: Logitech K120, Mouse: Steelseries Kinzu v2, Sound: Logitech 2.1 system

It shows fine on my end. Here it is uploaded to another host. 

10384518_734552756626481_238640789030693

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10384518_734552756626481_2386407890306934093_n.jpg?oh=9824e5f14cc6ea0f463cf4c4700fd854&oe=54D4E3B4&__gda__=1427202621_958e49e27476829d7b70169fae7f1e26

Maybe it didn't show on your end because I linked it directly from the Chinese website, and your ISP might have blocked the access to those servers. 

dunno, working fine now, thanks for sharing.

The funny thing about it is Nvidia's released more generations of GPU's with thermal problems than ATI/AMD.

Hell yes they have. Did you ever use the 5800/5900 GTX cards? (This was what... back in the ATI 9800 Pro days? somewhere around there anyway).

Plus GTX 400 and 500 series cards had a few heat monsters too. And didn't the GTX 200 series also?

Yeah but that was about an eon and a half ago, which no one cares about. The past few generations of Nvidia chips have been taking the lead in power consumption. If AMD doesn't get up to speed on power consumption and heat output they will be left behind, especially in the mobile scene. (Which is where all the profits are going).

Needs more GPU-Z screenshots, I want to see that core count and memory bandwidth etc. 

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

leaks leaks .... that's all we have had from Captain AMD while NVIDIA take more market share month by month, bloody Jesus AMD are late on free Sync, late on new GPU's, haven't come out with a new CPU for the last three years, by the time they get their act together it will be all GREEN & BLUE     

post-154698-0-57013800-1417016593.jpg

I5 3570K@ 4.4 - GIGABYTE Z77- Kingston 8G 2400 RAM - MSI GTX980 - HAF-X - 27'' ROG SWIFT + 32'' LG IPS - OCZ 250G SSD + WD 4TB HDD - ASUS XONAR DX -Noctua NH-D14

Yeah but that was about an eon and a half ago, which no one cares about. The past few generations of Nvidia chips have been taking the lead in power consumption. If AMD doesn't get up to speed on power consumption and heat output they will be left behind, especially in the mobile scene. (Which is where all the profits are going).

All too true, but the exact same situation happened to NVIDIA MULTIPLE TIMES in the past. Fermi? You could cook a ham with that arch. The point being that NVIDIA fixed those issues, despite them being just as bad as 290/290x (if not worse).

Yet people won't give AMD the benefit of the doubt? I get that a lot of the members here are really young and never experienced those older cards, but that in no way invalidates them. NVIDIA learned from their mistakes and have made some great power efficiency cards (Kepler and especially Maxwell), but not that long ago (fermi) their cards were hotter then the sun. Why do people expect NVIDIA to learn but not AMD?

It just appears to be blind fanboyism. Maybe that's not the case, but that's the way it looks. AMD has the talent, and the engineering necessary to do this. the 290/290x, despite it's thermal issues, is a GREAT card, and a big leap from the HD 7970 of the previous generation.

My biggest gripe is that they are just blindly accepting/assuming this is a flat out lie. I would have thought we were more logical thinkers here and would be able to reserve judgement until confirmed review samples hit. Besides everything we are hearing about the new arch matches these (albeit weird) benchmarks.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

leaks leaks .... that's all we have had from Captain AMD while NVIDIA take more market share month by month, bloody Jesus AMD are late on free Sync, late on new GPU's, haven't come out with a new CPU for the last three years, by the time they get their act together it will be all GREEN & BLUE     

What? AMD isn't late on their new GPU. As far as any news articles has stated, it's still on schedule.

As for FreeSync, did we even ever get a timeline for that? We JUST THIS WEEK had Samsung announce FIVE FreeSync monitors being released soon. FIVE!!! How many G-Sync Monitors were there at release? One? *Slow clap*

I'm sure you're not a fanboy, but your post seems to sway pretty heavily into the Green Camp.

As for the CPU's, AMD was nearly bankrupt. They could not afford to put in the huge R&D resources necessary to compete with Intel, so they've been focusing on Mobile (Laptop/Tablet mostly), where they make most of their money. And they've been releasing new Mobile chips constantly, and they've been heavily innovating there too, with HSA, HuMA, etc.

Now that they've got some actual cash (Thanks PS4 and XBox One!), they're heavily investing in R&D to create a brand new x86 arch from scratch. They're bringing out the big guns, Jim Keller and all (Oh yeah, he's the guy who designed the single most successful CPU - probably ever - but certainly for AMD - and he just spent years working for Apple's chip development, so he's got mad skillz).

Obviously we won't see ZEN for another year (Probably a bit sooner with leaks, early previews, and engineering/review samples), so we should wait and see how it goes, but AMD is not out of the game yet.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I thought I was going crazy here, posting things like that on this site. Glad to see someone else knows what's up.

Just want to say that Intel is definitely a threat to AMD and they might always be.

Increase your font size, hard to read.

AMD is doing fine as far as GPUs are concerned. CPUs is the problem for them.

mate I don't care if it's fucking green,blue or red as long as it sells in my store & right now AMD stuff isn't selling and every time I introduce a customer to a AMD product all I get (we heard it's shit) and when I try to explain that their quite wrong about that I get (sorry we're not buying today, bye) 

post-154698-0-02105400-1417021062.jpg

I5 3570K@ 4.4 - GIGABYTE Z77- Kingston 8G 2400 RAM - MSI GTX980 - HAF-X - 27'' ROG SWIFT + 32'' LG IPS - OCZ 250G SSD + WD 4TB HDD - ASUS XONAR DX -Noctua NH-D14

mate I don't care if it's fucking green,blue or red as long as it sells in my store & right now AMD stuff isn't selling and every time I introduce a customer to a AMD product all I get (we heard it's shit) and when I try to explain that their quite wrong about that I get (sorry we're not buying today, bye) 

So that giant rant of yours was what? To vent about uninformed customers?

Everyone knows AMD's CPU's are behind. But since this thread is about their GPU's, which are actually very successful (290/290x sold a butt load), I fail to see the relevance.

AMD GPU's are still, even with Maxwell, awesome GPU's if you want to save a bit of money for a little less horsepower. The responses like the ones in this thread (including your pretty misinformed one above) are the main reason why anyone would think AMD GPU's are shit. They aren't. Period.

For example, I don't know a single person that had their 290/290x die from heat. I haven't even heard of an example on this forum. Those people saying AMD GPU's are shit, are probably the same people who think XBox One is more powerful then a GTX 780 Ti.

So this may be the most powerful Hawaii gpu, just a maxed out R290x .... Which looks better than a 980ti or at least the same. If this is true and R390x is the real deal it may perform as 970sli or even better for sure. Looks really good tho I hope is true.

The blood on to your heart start pumping faster when you notice me.

But is ok.

Judge me for my nickname, my avatar and for the low amounts of posts I have. I will keep your heart beat raised.

So this may be the most powerful Hawaii gpu, just a maxed out R290x ....

it's not Hawai, it's something new.

it's not Hawai, it's something new.

True, but it could be based on the Hawaii arch. We know that the 390/390x is a brand new arch, but we don't have much info on the 380/380x (Unless you've seen a new article about it?)

But it also could just be a scaled down version of the 390x as well. I'm really excited to learn more as new info comes out.

True, but it could be based on the Hawaii arch. We know that the 390/390x is a brand new arch, but we don't have much info on the 380/380x (Unless you've seen a new article about it?)

But it also could just be a scaled down version of the 390x as well. I'm really excited to learn more as new info comes out.

The R9 300 series cards should feature Volcanic Islands. AMD is rumored to release a new and faster R9 290x sometime this holiday season to fill the time gap between now and the R9 300 series launch (something to throw on the market in response to the GTX 900 series I presume). So this "Captain Jack" could possibly be that card as well. Tho I wouldn't expect it to be as fast as the graphs make it out to be.

Carrizo is Spanish.

Spain colonized the Caribbean.

Captain Jack Sparrow drinks rum in the Caribbean.

This is the performance of the Carrizo APUs, because logic.

This. Confirmed.

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - I5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz - Geil Enhance Plus 1750Mhz 8Gb - ASUS ENGTX 570 DCUII - MSI Z68aGD65 - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - Samsung 830 128gb and Crucial m4 128gb - much other stuff not worth mentioning

What? AMD isn't late on their new GPU. As far as any news articles has stated, it's still on schedule.

As for FreeSync, did we even ever get a timeline for that? We JUST THIS WEEK had Samsung announce FIVE FreeSync monitors being released soon. FIVE!!! How many G-Sync Monitors were there at release? One? *Slow clap*

I'm sure you're not a fanboy, but your post seems to sway pretty heavily into the Green Camp.

As for the CPU's, AMD was nearly bankrupt. They could not afford to put in the huge R&D resources necessary to compete with Intel, so they've been focusing on Mobile (Laptop/Tablet mostly), where they make most of their money. And they've been releasing new Mobile chips constantly, and they've been heavily innovating there too, with HSA, HuMA, etc.

Now that they've got some actual cash (Thanks PS4 and XBox One!), they're heavily investing in R&D to create a brand new x86 arch from scratch. They're bringing out the big guns, Jim Keller and all (Oh yeah, he's the guy who designed the single most successful CPU - probably ever - but certainly for AMD - and he just spent years working for Apple's chip development, so he's got mad skillz).

Obviously we won't see ZEN for another year (Probably a bit sooner with leaks, early previews, and engineering/review samples), so we should wait and see how it goes, but AMD is not out of the game yet.

I don't wanna sound retarded, specially since i am an AMD gpu owner, but the problem with AMD isn't the hardware (gpu side). 

I've been using amd for quite a wile (on laptop and on desktop) and their driver support is borderline idiotic. I actually don't care if a certain gpu can give me 10 fps more than it's counterpart. Nvidia is ahead of AMD in image quality imo. It's funny cuz the IQ theme was left behind a few years back but it's noticeable again. I gamed on my 280x a few games that i played on 780/770 and nvidia has superior IQ due to better optimized AO and few other stuff; the games get more eye candy.

Don't even wanna mention broken video support on for like 2 years now on my laptop, an issue that AMD is aware and didn't solve yet. 

Also, only one gsync monitor? are you high? Acer, asus, aoc, BenQ, philips, viewsonic, etc, have gsync monitors, few of wich exist for a few months already. People still dream that AMD's counter to gsync won't add any kind of extra cost. 

Bottom line is:

Nvidia is ahead in alot of stuff when compared to AMD. If AMD get's a new team to make drivers/software that can fully use their (imho) good hardware and get more involved with the game developers (as nvidia usually does), then this will be a decent competition.

(i am not a fanboy. as i stated i'm an AMD user)

I don't wanna sound retarded, specially since i am an AMD gpu owner, but the problem with AMD isn't the hardware (gpu side). 

I've been using amd for quite a wile (on laptop and on desktop) and their driver support is borderline idiotic. I actually don't care if a certain gpu can give me 10 fps more than it's counterpart. Nvidia is ahead of AMD in image quality imo. It's funny cuz the IQ theme was left behind a few years back but it's noticeable again. I gamed on my 280x a few games that i played on 780/770 and nvidia has superior IQ due to better optimized AO and few other stuff; the games get more eye candy.

Don't even wanna mention broken video support on for like 2 years now on my laptop, an issue that AMD is aware and didn't solve yet. 

Also, only one gsync monitor? are you high? Acer, asus, aoc, BenQ, philips, viewsonic, etc, have gsync monitors, few of wich exist for a few months already. People still dream that AMD's counter to gsync won't add any kind of extra cost. 

Bottom line is:

Nvidia is ahead in alot of stuff when compared to AMD. If AMD get's a new team to make drivers/software that can fully use their (imho) good hardware and get more involved with the game developers (as nvidia usually does), then this will be a decent competition.

(i am not a fanboy. as i stated i'm an AMD user)

For someone who claims to not be a fanboy you sound quite like one. First and foremost AMD drivers are fine. I've never had an issue with them and they've grown to be stable ever since the Never Settle campaign launched. Sure there are little issues, quirks and other minor stuff but that's to be expected from any video drivers (including Nvidia). As for image quality both hardware and device drivers play no part in texture quality. You're probably thinking of PhysX as being better graphics in confusion. PhysX is only an add-on API for a select few games. It also doesn't enhance the game textures either. So where you're getting this "Nvidia has superior image quality over AMD" is beyond me. Also to contrary belief Nvidia is actually behind AMD in quite a few things as well. As for getting in touch with game developers? Mantle is being used in over 22 game titles. Which means AMD is in touch with more game developers than Nvidia at the moment. Also look at how big the Never Settle campaign is right now. It's hard to say AMD isn't in touch with the gaming market.

For someone who claims to not be a fanboy you sound quite like one. First and foremost AMD drivers are fine. I've never had an issue with them and they've grown to be stable ever since the Never Settle campaign launched. Sure there are little issues, quirks and other minor stuff but that's to be expected from any video drivers (including Nvidia). As for image quality both hardware and device drivers play no part in texture quality. You're probably thinking of PhysX as being better graphics in confusion. PhysX is only an add-on API for a select few games. It also doesn't enhance the game textures either. So where you're getting this "Nvidia has superior image quality over AMD" is beyond me. Also to contrary belief Nvidia is actually behind AMD in quite a few things as well. As for getting in touch with game developers? Mantle is being used in over 22 game titles. Which means AMD is in touch with more game developers than Nvidia at the moment. Also look at how big the Never Settle campaign is right now. It's hard to say AMD isn't in touch with the gaming market.

Their desktop drivers are fine. Their mobility driver on the other hand....

Anyway, I think AMD are loosing money from their CPU line (they are getting their ass handed to them by intel in mobile cpus and mid-high end cpus)