Wireless Router for around 3000 square feet

Go to solution Solved by dalekphalm,

I am wondering what the best router for me would be. the router is placed in my basement and i want to get at least half the signal strength in my bedroom (2nd story). the router only needs to be about 70Mb/s and i would prefer if it was only around $100

Is it possible to simply place the Router on the 1st floor? This is the ideal placement for a wireless signal anyway, since you'll get equal coverage on the 2nd floor as well as the basement (ignoring environmental factors anyway).

If you have a separate modem, you can run an ethernet cable from the modem to the router. If it's a combo device, then it would depend on what kind of internet you have (Cable, DSL, Fibre, etc). If Cable or DSL, then you could run the Coax cable or Phone cable from the basement into the 1st floor to the Modem/Router.

If, for whatever reason, you cannot, or are unwilling to move the router, then I highly recommend the ASUS RT-AC68U that @VItaminMmm linked to. I've personally used it (set it up for my former boss) in a huge house with the router in the basement, and it got excellent signal (though admittedly I never tested the 2nd floor bedrooms).

Anyway, your budget is honestly probably going to be too low for what you want. $100 gets you a decent router, but not necessarily one with that good range.

You could also try Powerline Ethernet (runs over the electrical circuits in your house - speeds can vary wildly depending on the quality and age of the electrical wiring), or you could try picking up a cheaper 2nd router to act as an Access Point or Wireless Bridge.

I am wondering what the best router for me would be. the router is placed in my basement and i want to get at least half the signal strength in my bedroom (2nd story). the router only needs to be about 70Mb/s and i would prefer if it was only around $100

Is it possible to simply place the Router on the 1st floor? This is the ideal placement for a wireless signal anyway, since you'll get equal coverage on the 2nd floor as well as the basement (ignoring environmental factors anyway).

If you have a separate modem, you can run an ethernet cable from the modem to the router. If it's a combo device, then it would depend on what kind of internet you have (Cable, DSL, Fibre, etc). If Cable or DSL, then you could run the Coax cable or Phone cable from the basement into the 1st floor to the Modem/Router.

If, for whatever reason, you cannot, or are unwilling to move the router, then I highly recommend the ASUS RT-AC68U that @VItaminMmm linked to. I've personally used it (set it up for my former boss) in a huge house with the router in the basement, and it got excellent signal (though admittedly I never tested the 2nd floor bedrooms).

Anyway, your budget is honestly probably going to be too low for what you want. $100 gets you a decent router, but not necessarily one with that good range.

You could also try Powerline Ethernet (runs over the electrical circuits in your house - speeds can vary wildly depending on the quality and age of the electrical wiring), or you could try picking up a cheaper 2nd router to act as an Access Point or Wireless Bridge.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)