Why Do People Say That The EVGA 970 Is Terrible?

nikolaizombie1

Because apparently (I don't know) the ACX 1.0 and 2.0 are both pretty loud for one and there was an issue with the first revisions of the card that shows that the heatpipes were misaligned showing that only 2 of the 3 heatpipes made contact. They have already fixed it I believe with a revision

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

who said that?

oh yeah, what @Archangel1994 said

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

You'll find people like to be biased over cards. Just look at Linus's videos on cards and he should help.

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

People say that, but it isn't terrible.

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Mine makes almost zero to no noise when the fans spin. Very minimal sound under full load tho.

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

They had an "issue" revealed early on with their cards in that with their 3 heatpipe design, only 2 made contact with the GPU

500x1000px-LL-18cb88db_EVGAGTX970heatsin

However, you can clearly see that the pasted area (roughly approximates the shape of the GPU die under the cooler) has good contact with 2 pipes and that the only way to get the third heat pipe to contact the GPU directly is if it only half touched it and half the heatpipe on the other side touched it.

Because apparently (I don't know) the ACX 1.0 and 2.0 are both pretty loud for one and there was an issue with the first revisions of the card that shows that the heatpipes were misaligned showing that only 2 of the 3 heatpipes made contact. They have already fixed it I believe with a revision

I can't speak for acx 2.0 but my 780 classifieds with the 1.0 are very quiet, only at 70+% fan speed do you really hear them, and that basically only happens under stress testing for me

OAS || AAS || LLS

Not that big of a deal , really. The heat is going to transfer proprely anyways.

because of the heatpipe thing it led to people having bad impression and that impression just stuck for a lot of people. Reputations are something very important, if a product has problems even if it gets fixed, people will remember it. 

Personally i got two MSI cards just because red and black. No other reason. if you look at 500 benchmarks of all the cards and their overclocking they are all pretty equal

They say that because they are misinformed and have no earthly idea what they are talking about. The obvious mistake made by people that have seen pictures is the fact that only 2 of the 3 heat pipes make solid contact with the gpu, but this was done 100% on purpose by design and thats the way its supposed to be, by adding the 3rd pipe (which the end isnt closed off, it is open ) they were able to lower temps by about 3 degrees, some say the cards have some coil whine , while others say they dont....actually the coil wine is caused by overclocking the cards too high  and then the capacitors cant handle it.....this would be user error.....also they require a break in period, so if you have coil wine directly out of the box, all you have to do is run the fans at 60% for a while and the wine will stop..........even if you dont believe anything i have posted so far, you better believe this......EVGA HAS THE ABSOLUTE BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE IN THE PC INDUSTRY!!!

CPU: i7 4790k OC'd @ 4.6 ghz COOLER: Corsair H105 (SP 120mm Quiet Edition Fans) MOBO: ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 RAM: Kingston Hyper Fury 16GB (2x8) 1866mhz

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB HDD: WD Blue 1TB GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750w 80+ Gold Fully Modular CASE: Fractal Arc Midi R2

OPTICAL DRIVE: Samsung DVD Burner OS: Win 7 64bit   Please do some research of your own before asking questions. Google and Youtube are your friend.

Like the others said, there isn't anything inherently bad with it.  If anything, once people get over the fact that the 3rd doesn't necessarily need to make direct contact for the chip to be withing safe running temps, negative perceptions come down more it being a somewhat recycled design for hotter, larger chips and fans that are apparently comparatively noisier than the competition, whilst delivering roughly the same cooling performance (if you ignore the Gigabyte Windforce).  They all perform relatively the same and the all of the cards overclock very well for the most part, so to me the choice comes down to what you want from your card:

EVGA - Excellent customer Service & RMA handing

MSI/ASUS - Colour Scheme, 0dB technology (if you're that concerned about idle noise)

Gigabyte - Extra cooling performance.

I can't actually vouch for any of these things as I don't have the first-hand experience, but this is what I've gathered from my research since the cards were released.

Personally I'm going for the Gigabyte because I need all the cooling performance I can get where I live.

CPU Intel Core i7 7700K; Cooler Cryorig R1 Universal; MB Asus ROG Maximus IX Code; RAM G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz (4 x 8GB); GPU ASUS GTX 1080 Ti ROG Strix Gaming OC; Case Be Quiet Dark Base 900 Pro Silver; Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB; PSU EVGA Supernova 850W G2; OS Windows 10; KB Corsair K70 (MX Brown); Audio O2 & ODAC, Sennheiser HD 600, Sennheiser RS 185, Swan M200MKIII; Monitors 2x Dell U2410

Previous Build

CPU Intel Core i5 4690K; Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212X; MB Asus Z97-A; RAM G.Skill Sniper (2 x 4GB); GPU 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming (SLI); Case Corsair Obsidian 450D; Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Black 1TB, Hitachi 750GB; PSU EVGA Supernova 750W G2; OS Windows 10; 

Uhm.. EVGA is amazing.  I will forever buy EVGA GPUs, and their products in general because of how I have been treated by them on multiple occasions, for a multitude of different things.

MIRs:  The absolute fastest in the business.  Most companies take 6-8 weeks.  The three times I've done an MIR with EVGA, it took 4-5 weeks, AND they let you choose between check and gift card.  Check please!

RMA:  This is where they really blew my socks off.  The process was so fast, so painless, and everyone I spoke to was knowledgeable, friendly, and knew exactly what they were talking about, what my concerns were, and how to proceed.  It took 9 business days including the day I sent my card to them, to get a new card back.  This is travel from Florida to California and back.

Water Cooling:  EVGA allows you to water cool and take apart your GPU without voiding the warranty.  Can't say the same about every other company out there.

Asking a question:  Whether it was on the phone or through email, the people I spoke to were extremely adept at answering my questions and at no point did I feel like I was speaking to someone who didn't "understand" the nuances of gaming and technology.  These people are trained incredibly well, and it shows.

Step-Up Program:  This is not something I personally took part in, but it is available only through EVGA.  Its a fantastic offering that is really quite appealing and unique.

-----------------------------------

Yes, the recent batch of 900 series EVGA cards have gotten a lot of bad publicity because their fans were too noisy when first launched, and their ACX Cooler isn't fully covering the GPU die.  What does this mean?  Not much now because they have fixed the fan problem with a firmware update, even including a no-fan-spin mode, and the cooler not fully covering the GPU die is not that big of an issue.  In the 970/980 roundups I've seen, the EVGA card is only trailing by 1-2C, that is not a massive amount, and pretty much within the margin of error.  Lets not forget that their cards are the least expensive coming in at $330 compared to $350+ for the competition's 970s. 

I will gladly, gladly take 1-2C higher temperatures and all of the benefits of having a card backed by EVGA than go with any other brand because I know what I'm getting with EVGA and that is exemplary service and a company that stands behind their products.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I used to have a EVGA GTX 780 ti SC and had no issues at all. Go with EVGA

"If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains." - Bill Shankly

Other than coil whine my supetclocked 970's are great. The 980s all coil whine. They probably run 3-5*C warmer than a g1, but I never touch 80*C on a quiet profIle in sli so it's no biggie!

They had an "issue" revealed early on with their cards in that with their 3 heatpipe design, only 2 made contact with the GPU

500x1000px-LL-18cb88db_EVGAGTX970heatsin

However, you can clearly see that the pasted area (roughly approximates the shape of the GPU die under the cooler) has good contact with 2 pipes and that the only way to get the third heat pipe to contact the GPU directly is if it only half touched it and half the heatpipe on the other side touched it.

I would be less worried about the 3rd heatpipe, and more worried about the center of the die contacting the aluminium divider instead of copper.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

My roomate has a 970 ACx 2.0 and it is silent! The fan turns on when it hits (50 c ish ?) Put it a through a few test to make it spin up and even then it was silent!  

You'll find people like to be biased over cards. Just look at Linus's videos on cards and he should help.

But Linus is blatantly biased towards NVidia and Asus..?

Not sure where you're going with that.

Linus noted that because all 3 heatpipes touch, the heat is still being transferred to the third heatpipe, meaning it's cooling the card even if it isn't making direct contact

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

But Linus is blatantly biased towards NVidia and Asus..?

Not sure where you're going with that.

I wasn't saying to go for either...I was saying take his advice.

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

People say that, but it isn't terrible.

Yeah because they're clueless I guess? Taken from http://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2222180

"GTX 980 ACX2 is a completely different heatsink design, in fact 970 FTW ACX2 is a different design as well. The 3 heatpipe design is only used on 970 SC and 970 SSC ACX1/2. Here is a picture of the contact side of the GTX 970 FTW card:"

jhCkth8.jpg

So lets bring the noise results up; http://be.hardware.info/productinfo/benchmarks/5/videokaarten?products[]=254223&specId=15681&tcId=371

WknpIiq.png

So actually it's the quietest of all of them. Not sure why EVGA gets so much criticism while Gigabyte is praised to hell when it's a fucking loud card. Gigabyte is topping in the temp results but that's not hard if your coolers are 2.5x louder >.>

OP, IMHO....if I were to buy a Nvidia card, it would be EVGA....as they are a very well known/liked board partner with Nvidia.  Same reason I went with Sapphire for AMD....look for the latest revision of the card, or better yet, contact EVGA and ask.

Case: Silverstone SG09B Motherboard: MSI Z10 Morter M-ATX CPU: I5-6600K  Ram: Corsair LP 2400 DD4 16GB GPU: MSI RX 480 Storage: Seagate HDD Baracuda 2TB x2, Crucial M200 500GB SSD X2 (Raid 0)PSU: Silverstone Strider Gold 1000W w/PP05E Kit

"When to say :blink: WTF :blink: ....$2K rig only used for Minesweeper and Internet Checkers marathons...."

I have 2 older 7xx series acx cards and they get hot and loud under load. If you were looking for lower temps or a quieter system, go with something else. EVGA makes very good components and have excellent customer support if you run into any issues. They're also very generous with their warranty for watercooling their gpus.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop

The way I understand it, the issue with the new EVGA cards is not with the cooler, but with coil whine. Of course you could potentially have coil whine on any GPU if you're unlucky, but from a lot of initial reviews I read of EVGA's 970 for example, many complained of an audible buzzing/coil whine from only a moderate load.

I'm not sure if EVGA has since fixed this in newer batches of cards, but it was enough to put me off buying one for a planned Air 240 build.

OP, IMHO....if I were to buy a Nvidia card, it would be EVGA....as they are a very well known/liked board partner with Nvidia.  Same reason I went with Sapphire for AMD....look for the latest revision of the card, or better yet, contact EVGA and ask.

Isn't Sapphire known for having horrible tech support? Or have they cleaned that up in the last couple of years? I have read horror stories about RMAs taking up to two months. I mean they sound like the anti-EVGA from what I have read when it comes to support, though their cards are supposed to be awesome when they work (never owned a Sapphire myself but my brother had a bad experience with one of their cards a few years ago).