Gtx 970 worries

Adge

Hello everyone

When I inatalled y gtx 970 strix unknowingly one of the 8pin connectors from my power supply got stuck in the fan and when I turned my computer on it made some weird cranking noises. I took it out and it seems to be fine but should I be worried?

Nah, if it looks fine now it probably is fine. It's not so bad if a fan is blocked for a small period, it can damage it if it's blocked for a long time, but if it was for a small period and it looks fine now, it's probably ok. No worries my friend!

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

It should be fine dude. I've gotten screws and such stuck by accident, but as long as the fans are working, and your cpu is working, you should be fine. Stress test your video card to get your fans going at 100% to make sure the one fan wasn't damaged. 

Hopefully it was the 8pin against the aluminum/copper heatsink. Try turning your computer on with the card in it again (making sure nothing is in the way, obviously) and pray to Lord GabeN that it was just the connector against the heatsink. Don't go up and open a game as soon as it boots, try looking at the card while it's idling and see if it's okay and that ASUS GPU Tweak or MSI Afterburner or whatever reports normal temperatures. Then go and stress it with FurMark or what have you.

I once plugged my 8pin connector into my cpu power, after 20seconds of me blankly looking at it thinking "Cooooool" I realised it was literally smoking. I unplugged it and it is currently powering my gpu, shall I be worried? I think'st not.

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

Thanks for replies guys :) soothed my soul

As long as no fan blade has come off it's fine. But if it did you'd probably know about it.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.