What do you do with your old builds?

Spev

Just wondering. Personally I could build myself a brand new rig right now but I'm holding off & just moving into a new case, bought a 970, and am working on a full custom loop. The only reason I'm not doing a entire brand new build is not because of money which is most people's barrier, it's because I feel bad replacing perfectly good parts. 

What do you guys do with your old builds? Replacing one part is one thing, but when you do like a huge overhaul? I doubt anyone will buy old/used parts so it's like they pretty much are garbo...thinking of the money I spent on them and just replacing them when they work fine just makes me feel like shit.

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

For now, my old rig is sitting under my desk collecting dust. One of these days though, I will do something with it.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

For now, my old rig is sitting under my desk collecting dust. One of these days though, I will do something with it.

The other thing is it's so hard to do stuff with old hardware. My motherboard has seen better days. If it was possible to I would buy a new motherboard and keep the CPU and spiff up the rig a bit in a new case. Can't find a 1366 mobo anywhere lol. I'm afraid I'm going to suffer the same fate as you some day soon.

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

Updating relatives hardware with my spare parts. And sometimes donate a pc to 3th world country schools.

I doubt anyone will buy old/used parts so it's like they pretty much are garbo...thinking of the money I spent on them and just replacing them just makes me feel like shit.

A lot of people actually buy and sell old parts on sites like Ebay. I would usually make a pfsense box, a FreeNAS box, or just keep it around for those rare moments I need a second PC.

I try to sell the old parts as I upgrade. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with my current build though since I'm pretty much starting from scratch when SkyLake comes out and I switch to an ITX case.

The other thing is it's so hard to do stuff with old hardware. My motherboard has seen better days. If it was possible to I would buy a new motherboard and keep the CPU and spiff up the rig a bit in a new case. Can't find a 1366 mobo anywhere lol. I'm afraid I'm going to suffer the same fate as you some day soon.

I really want to get an ITX Z77 motherboard. Pop my 3570K on there, toss in my GTX 770 when I inevitably upgrade to something better and bam. LAN rig ahoy.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I try to sell the old parts as I upgrade. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with my current build though since I'm pretty much starting from scratch when SkyLake comes out and I switch to an ITX case.

True, do you know when Skylake comes out? That is when I'm planning to say adios and do my full rebuild. All I know is 2015 lol.

Normally I upgrade one part or several parts at a time.

If the part still works and is compatible enough to troubleshoot problems with my PC, I'll keep it.

If it works but isn't compatible with the rest of my PC, I give it to a friend who will eventually use it to repair one of his customers' PCs.

If it's broken, it's no use to anyone anymore, so it gets recycled.

In the event of making a completely new PC, I'd either sell the old one cheaply or tear it down and then all the parts get treated like earlier in my post.

I donate mine to the Smithsonian, B) .

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

What old build, been rocking the same pc for years.

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

How much do you guys think my old processor and GPU would be worth?

GPU: GTX 580 EVGA

CPU: Intel i7 980

Would anyone even buy these lol?

Sell or keep em. I have a phenom X6 1090t in an ikea box. was planning it on mounting on the wall. but nahh. too much work.

Retire to quick-access cold storage duties until they kick the bucket... I hold a small ceremony to honor them before scrapping them for parts...

True, do you know when Skylake comes out? That is when I'm planning to say adios and do my full rebuild. All I know is 2015 lol.

Unless the roadmap changes, it will be released the second half of 2015 (Q4 I think?) with the unlocked version being released in the first half of 2016. So far, Intel has been confident in saying that they are sticking to this plan.

I gave my old build to my father. He needed a new PC anyways  :P

"My signature is in Comic Sans, and therefore I am cool" - Anonymous

CPU: i7 4790K @ 4.2 Cooler: Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth x97 RAM: 16GB DDR3 Ram GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Superclocked SSD: 256GB SSD (OS) HDD: 1T 7200RPM Case:BitFenix Coloussus Venom Edition PSU:EVGA 850W Gold Fully Modular OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit

Make it into a home or media server

"There are 10 types of people in the world: those that understand binary and those that do not."

CPU:  4790K @ 4.7GHz  Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VI Formula  RAM:  32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz  GPU:  (2) GTX 780 Poseidons in SLI  Case:  NZXT H440  Storage:  (2) Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs and (1) 4TB WD Black HDD  PSU:  EVGA Supernova G2 850w  Cooling:  Custom loop - Koolance 380i CPU block, (built-in waterblocks on GPUs), Alphacool VP655 pump, (1) 360mm XSPC radiator, (1) 240mm XSPC radiator, Bitspower 150 reservoir

Unless the roadmap changes, it will be released the second half of 2015 (Q4 I think?) with the unlocked version being released in the first half of 2016. So far, Intel has been confident in saying that they are sticking to this plan.

Damn..I wasn't planning on waiting till 2016 for an unlocked CPU...maybe I'll upgrade sooner...

I have my other build wrapped in garbage bags.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Usually I just upgrade individual parts when the newer generation comes out. Sometimes I skip a generation if it's not worth upgrading

If I upgrade a part I sell it on Craigslist and end up paying around $100 for the newer version in the end

If I ever make a completely new build I distribute the parts between my home theatre and other pc's in the house

One thing I always suggest is a folding rig

I just usually strip the parts and put them somewhere to admire :P

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []