Asus strix gtx 970 + fx 8300

Mrflyingdonut

I have a amd fx 8300 cpu and want to buy a new graphics card. How would a gtx 970 go with it?

it would be slightly bottlenecked because of the poor core performance in most games and applications, but the 970 performs so well that you likely wont notice the loss of performance unless youre doing 4k.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The ASUS GTX 970 STRIX http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NJ9BJ8G would go great with the FX-8300 as long as you do a bit of overclocking on that CPU.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, ASUS Maximus VII Hero, i7-4790K @ 4.5GHz, Corsair H100i, EVGA GTX 980Ti SC, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2X8GB 1866Mhz CL9, 2X Crucial M500 960GB, EVGA SuperNOVA 1050 GS, ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q w/ nVidia 3D Vision 2

It would bottleneck at the graphics presets,
But if you turn up the AA and textures(and other GU heavy things) and maybe turn down shadows a little(If the load doesnt become balanced) you wont have a bottleneck.

A bottleneck doesnt mean much, It really means you have a on-going upgrade path.

A bottleneck only means that the GPU aint on full potencial, You will still almost max out most games.

Putting a coolermaster 212 EVO on it and overclock it would make the system more balanced.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

You'll be fine with the 970. Don't listen to any noob that says it's gonna be "bottlenecked". It won't. The 970 is still gonna run at 100%, you just won't get as much performance as if it was an i -insert huge numbers here- CPU.

But then again, you are getting as much power as you payed for. Go for it, don't worry.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

i actualy upgraded from a 4.6ghz FX-8320 about 4 months ago because i was not getting all the performance out of my GTX780 when i was monitoring GPU load at 1080p i find it to be in the 70 and 80% a little too often for my likings with FPS sometimes in the 40's and 50's so i went heck i bought a 500$ graphics card i wan't to get all the performance out of it...

That being said, many games are now properly multi-threaded and in such games i was getting better results (BF4 being the best of them with a constant 98% GPU load with the FX) and as someone else mentionned you'll be able to apply high anti-aliasing and GPU heavy settings maxed out and you'll still get an enjoyable experience...just don,t start monitoring your GPU load...shove that under the carpet and enjoy your games...or spend 300$ on a core i5-4590 and an H97 motherboard.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

You'll be fine with the 970. Don't listen to any noob that says it's gonna be "bottlenecked". It won't. The 970 is still gonna run at 100%, you just won't get as much performance as if it was an i -insert huge numbers here- CPU.

But then again, you are getting as much power as you payed for. Go for it, don't worry.

He Will be bottlenecked at the graphics Pre-sets, Maybe by 10-25% But he Will, The gtx 970 is about as powerful as a R9 290x.

Bottlenecking is good in some cases,

A pure gaming PC can gain from being bottlenecked by the CPU becouse the AA, resolution and pure-graphical effects can be higher if the GPU is overpowered in relation to the CPU.

You would need atleast a 8350 to be balanced with a r9 290, But if the 8350 os overclocked to 4.5-4.8Ghz it would be balanced with a 290x/970 at the graphics pre-sets.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

or spend 300$ on a core i5-4590 and an H97 motherboard.

or wait until Broadwell / Skylake. One might say it's not worth getting the very first line of products of a new architecture. Oh yeah? Then let's throw all the Gtx 970s away, they "are not worth it".

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

He Will be bottlenecked at the graphics Pre-sets, Maybe by 10-25% But he Will, The gtx 970 is about as powerful as a R9 290x.

Bottlenecking is good in some cases,

A pure gaming PC can gain from being bottlenecked by the CPU becouse the AA, resolution and pure-graphical effects can be higher if the GPU is overpowered in relation to the CPU.

You would need atleast a 8350 to be balanced with a r9 290, But if the 8350 os overclocked to 4.5-4.8Ghz it would be balanced with a 290x/970 at the graphics pre-sets.

thats very relative to the game being played though...many games requiring fast processing from the CPU i found a GTX780 to be quite overpowered when compared to an overclocked FX CPU and i was running mine at 4.6ghz daily and i did some testing as high as 4.93ghz (which was my top speed at 1.55v it was darn hot but working) and even then the CPU was still too slow for such a GPU at 1080p...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

or wait until Broadwell / Skylake. One might say it's not worth getting the very first line of products of a new architecture. Oh yeah? Then let's throw all the Gtx 970s away, they "are not worth it".

broadwell will probably be only a very minimal improvement on haswell performance and skylake will probably be quite overpriced...just saying.

thats very relative to the game being played though...many games requiring fast processing from the CPU i found a GTX780 to be quite overpowered when compared to an overclocked FX CPU and i was running mine at 4.6ghz daily and i did some testing as high as 4.93ghz (which was my top speed at 1.55v it was darn hot but working) and even then the CPU was still too slow for such a GPU at 1080p...

Everything is Very relative, Both on the games and settings, At the graphics pre-sets my GPU barely reaches 60-65% load in most games.

My Gaming PC

Trust me, Im an Engineer

Everything is Very relative, Both on the agem and settings, At the graphics pre-sets my GPU barely reaches 60-65% load in most games.

Oh, and don't forget we are talking about different archtectures. And non optimized drivers.

Just to add more variables, I think we still don't have as many as we should :P

broadwell will probably be only a very minimal improvement on haswell performance and skylake will probably be quite overpriced...just saying.

Same was said about the Gtx 9XXs...

Same was said about the Gtx 9XXs...

...and it was true, the GTX970 is a very slight improvement on the GTX 780 and the GTX980 is quite overpriced.

Look i don't know who you are and where you're coming from but let me tell you this: i've had first hand experience with using an overclocked FX chip along with an high-end GPU in modern games at 1080p for over 3 months and it's not a good match that i would do again or recommend...ever.

So,unless the OP is planning an upgrade on the platform any time soon, i would suggest spending less and maybe looking at an R9 290 (still overpowered for the CPU but at least it's not 400$ after taxes and shipping..) or even an R9 280X which is a better match for the FX CPU.