sondcard or onboard sound?

master_6TheOriginal

Hi guys,

I saw a lot of deabtes going on about buying a soundcard or not, but there are so many opinions out there, and so many of them are just opposites of each other.

I have a Superlux HD668B and I am using my onboard chip, the Realtek ALC 1150 in the MSI Audio Boost-2 -'system'. My question: is it worth it to buy a soundcard like the xonar dgx or any other soundcard arround 50 bucks? Thanks a lot :)

It's worth it if you think it's worth it. If you have headphones that you think are good enough to justify a sound card then go ahead.

I might be wrong.

I had a problem with my modmic4.0 picking up EMI from my onboard audio.

I bought a $30 Xonar DG and it completely fixed it, and removed all EMI from the input.

I did not notice an increase in output sound quality though, but thats because im not using studio monitors :P

Basically if you have any issues or EMI with onboard sound, a nice cheap xonar sound card will fix it for you :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You most likely won't gain anything by getting a sound card. Only consider one if there is interference (buzzing, hissing, etc.) with the on-board solution. Even then an external solution would be better choice.

Consider buying the FiiO E10K if you don't have a really good motherboard audio, since it has DAC

if your motherboard has a good DAC, you could opt for schiiit magni or the Mayflower's O2 amp.

They all might be more expensive than the rest of the options that you have, but as you upgrade your headphone (even to $400 Sennheiser HD600) they all will still pair up well