What Monitor Should I Get?

Hi guys Luke here :)

Intro: So here's my question my old monitor recently broke and i have sent it back for a replacement since they no longer do that monitor i have a choose of another one for around the same price or more if i choose to pay extra.

Question:  What monitor should i get?

Information:

- Max price range is £200 ish pounds(under £150 would be nice) which is about £200=$315 dollars.

- Mainly going to be used for web browsing and just general windows things but a little bit of battlefield, minecraft, and garry's mod gaming here and there

- 4K Or 1440p Or maybe 1920x1200 ? But I want to try and away from 1920x1080 maybe? I am not to sure whether 1440p is needed if i am only doing a bit of gaming and mostly windows (FYI: I have a 650Ti boost but will be upgrading to a GTX 970 so pick a monitor that games will still be able to run above 60 fps :) ).

- Should i get a ultra wide screen and get rid of my second monitor or just a normal 16:9 and keep my second monitor?

- One with 5ms response time or under?

- Don't know about view angles, aspect ratio, brightness, colour depth and advanced contrast ratio? Are any of these things important and a certain number or digit i should look for in a monitor?

- Above 23" but i would quiet like around 27"

- Thinnish or next to no Bessel at all.

Here are some monitors i was looking at! - BTW is liyama a good brand for making monitors?

http://www.ebuyer.com/434525-iiyama-prolite-e2773hs-27-led-hdmi-monitor-ple2773hs-b1

http://www.ebuyer.com/620275-benq-gl2760h-27-led-dvi-hdmi-monitor-9h-lc8la-tbe

http://www.ebuyer.com/393832-iiyama-prolite-b2481hs-1-24-led-monitor-b2481hs-b1

http://www.ebuyer.com/351419-asus-vs248h-24-led-lcd-hdmi-monitor-vs248h

Thanks to all of you that comment and help all suggestions are much appreciated and even tell me about your monitor experience :)

- Luke

EDIT: Forgot to mention i need one that's wall mountable.

Hi guys Luke here :)

Hey Luke

For your budget you are not going to be getting £1440p, they are closer to £300

You could go for a 144hz 1080p Display if you play fast shooters, or a nice IPS 1080p screen if you prefer better colours and viewing angles

Or save up :P, a single 970 is definitely enough for 1440p

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Hey Luke, for your budget, a U2414H by Dell would be a great option - I have one and personally vouch for it.

If you can muster up  a little more cash though then do take a look at the following monitors on sale right now at 1440p:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-126-LG

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-167-SA&groupid=2913&catid=2919

Hey Luke

For your budget you are not going to be getting £1440p, they are closer to £300

You could go for a 144hz 1080p Display if you play fast shooters, or a nice IPS 1080p screen if you prefer better colours and viewing angles

Or save up :P, a single 970 is definitely enough for 1440p

HI thanks for you reply. 

Ok thought so.

Yep that is true. I did like my previous monitor that was IPS so since i wont being doing tons of gaming and will be playing minecraft (mainly) will i really benefit from seeing 144fps in gaming (thats what hz means right the amount of fps you can see?). So i think i would prefer a IPS monitor instead.

Yep i thought so :P lol yes i might save up but do need a monitor soonish.

snip

I am personally not that into 144hz, its nice to have but I need IPS for photography and video work and I am not a fan of multi monitor setups, at least not in my current home office

I use a 27" 1440p IPS display, there is an Acer one in the UK for £269, so maybe try get a bit more money? if not 24" 1080p IPS would be your best bet

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Hey Luke, for your budget, a U2414H by Dell would be a great option - I have one and personally vouch for it.

If you can muster up a little more cash though then do take a look at the following monitors on sale right now at 1440p:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-126-LG

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-167-SA&groupid=2913&catid=2919

Hi thanks for you help.

Ah ok that dell does look nice and not too pricey.

And wow didnt think you could get 1440p monitors under £300. Maybe saving up a little money is a good idea. 

- Are they both wall mountable?

- What hz (hertz) are they both?

- Which one would you pick if you had to pick one of the two?

I am personally not that into 144hz, its nice to have but I need IPS for photography and video work and I am not a fan of multi monitor setups, at least not in my current home office

I use a 27" 1440p IPS display, there is an Acer one in the UK for £269, so maybe try get a bit more money? if not 24" 1080p IPS would be your best bet

Oh ok and yeh even though i am not i do like seeing a sharper and more colour accurate picture. Ok i only use my second monitor for a web browser or notes or something like that not playing one game across two monitors. My second one is just a old no hd 19" one. What is the 27" inch one you use ? and how much was that when you got it? Would you recommend any smaller or bigger than 27 or do you find that the sweet spot and you couldn't go any bigger than that? And i think i am going to try and get some more money saved up first.

Oh ok and yeh even though i am not i do like seeing a sharper and more colour accurate picture. Ok i only use my second monitor for a web browser or notes or something like that not playing one game across two monitors. My second one is just a old no hd 19" one. What is the 27" inch one you use ? and how much was that when you got it? Would you recommend any smaller or bigger than 27 or do you find that the sweet spot and you couldn't go any bigger than that? And i think i am going to try and get some more money saved up first.

I use the AOC Q2770PQU 1440p PLS monitor, was £350, currently you can get them for £320, but there are some cheaper 1440p models, 1440p is perfect for 27", 

that £269 samsung uses the same panel as my AOC, (same as the ASUS PB278Q , all 3 use the samsung PLS panel)

I use the AOC Q2770PQU 1440p PLS monitor, was £350, currently you can get them for £320, but there are some cheaper 1440p models, 1440p is perfect for 27", 

that £269 samsung uses the same panel as my AOC, (same as the ASUS PB278Q , all 3 use the samsung PLS panel)

Thats a nice monitor :) yeh i did see some cheaper models around. Oh ok but 1080p isnt good for 27"?

Oh really thats good i guess and do you mean all there of them use the same panel developed by samsung then? And whats ah mean for ips, because it says AH-IPS?

Thats a nice monitor :) yeh i did see some cheaper models around. Oh ok but 1080p isnt good for 27"?

Oh really thats good i guess and do you mean all there of them use the same panel developed by samsung then? And whats ah mean for ips, because it says AH-IPS?

just a different type of IPS there are differnet types from different companies

1080p at 27" is a bit pants, its quit pixelated, its especially sucky for web browsing and normal stuff

Hi thanks for you help.

Ah ok that dell does look nice and not too pricey.

And wow didnt think you could get 1440p monitors under £300. Maybe saving up a little money is a good idea. 

- Are they both wall mountable?

- What hz (hertz) are they both?

- Which one would you pick if you had to pick one of the two?

You're welcome, yes the Dell is very good and if you're open to multi-monitor setups down the line for more screen space then the Dell is the best bet of virtually any monitor.

The two monitors I linked to are both 60hz, both wall mountable.

Which I'd pick is a tougher question. I'd probably take the LG purely because it has more colours, and is reduced by more (from over £500 compared to the Samsung which initially was £320) so I was assume it's higher quality. That and it is being marketed as a professional grade monitor.

With that said, I've no experience with either of them, so the differences might be small, or the Samsung might just be more competitively priced, or might just be the case that it's newer. I really have no clue.

As for IPS vs PLS, the differences are very marginal as far as I know, and I don't know about that particular panel, but LG make a lot of flicker-free panels whereas Samsung don't. I like flicker-free monitors because my eyes get irritated looking at screens for a long time and I blame (rightly or wrongly) the flicker. That was part of the reason I opted for the U2414h.

just a different type of IPS there are differnet types from different companies

1080p at 27" is a bit pants, its quit pixelated, its especially sucky for web browsing and normal stuff

Oh ok. I did at bit more research yesterday found out AH is LG latest panel from 2011.

So if i am to get a 27" monitor i should at least try and get 1440p? What is the biggest size you think 1080p looks just about ok on? I previously had a 23.8" monitor that was 1080p and that looked ok would you go any bigger than that at that resolution before it gets pixelated? - Thanks, Luke :)

You're welcome, yes the Dell is very good and if you're open to multi-monitor setups down the line for more screen space then the Dell is the best bet of virtually any monitor.

The two monitors I linked to are both 60hz, both wall mountable.

Which I'd pick is a tougher question. I'd probably take the LG purely because it has more colours, and is reduced by more (from over £500 compared to the Samsung which initially was £320) so I was assume it's higher quality. That and it is being marketed as a professional grade monitor.

With that said, I've no experience with either of them, so the differences might be small, or the Samsung might just be more competitively priced, or might just be the case that it's newer. I really have no clue.

As for IPS vs PLS, the differences are very marginal as far as I know, and I don't know about that particular panel, but LG make a lot of flicker-free panels whereas Samsung don't. I like flicker-free monitors because my eyes get irritated looking at screens for a long time and I blame (rightly or wrongly) the flicker. That was part of the reason I opted for the U2414h.

Oh ok yes i like up to a maximum of two monitors i would say, also i want them to be wall mountable because i have a dual monitor arm/bracket,

Ah, two of the same dell monitors?

Yep thats some good points about the LG. I might watch and look up reviews about them both and see whitch one is more worth it, got make every penny count :P

Ok didnt think IPS flickerd at all but they obviously do. By the way do you know what panel that samsung monitor uses is it one made directly by them or lg or dell etc?

Is there anything that i should specially look out for on them like the colour depth or contrast ratio etc?

- Luke.

Oh ok. I did at bit more research yesterday found out AH is LG latest panel from 2011.

So if i am to get a 27" monitor i should at least try and get 1440p? What is the biggest size you think 1080p looks just about ok on? I previously had a 23.8" monitor that was 1080p and that looked ok would you go any bigger than that at that resolution before it gets pixelated? - Thanks, Luke :)

yeah I would stick to 24"

Ok didnt think IPS flickerd at all but they obviously do. By the way do you know what panel that samsung monitor uses is it one made directly by them or lg or dell etc?

Is there anything that i should specially look out for on them like the colour depth or contrast ratio etc?

As for flickering you want a monitor that does NOT use PMW (pulse width modulation) as this causes the display to flicker, it should be mentioned in the specs or reviews

colour and stuff check out TFT Central - they give  very in depth reviews, even the review of a different monitor will tell you sorts of things to look out for when buying a monitor

yeah I would stick to 24"

As for flickering you want a monitor that does NOT use PMW (pulse width modulation) as this causes the display to flicker, it should be mentioned in the specs or reviews

colour and stuff check out TFT Central - they give  very in depth reviews, even the review of a different monitor will tell you sorts of things to look out for when buying a monitor

Ok because what i might do is get a 24" 1080p for now as they might just want to do a replacement for £120 pounds and use that as my main and this other crappy one as my secondary then next year i will save up again and get the 1440p one. Does that sounds like a good idea? And i will check out TFT Central thanks :)

EDIT: That LG monitor tacitus link earlier is pre-order on the 5th of December it comes out but the question is how long will that deal last do you think or will it go off as soon as its no longer pre-order?