Hello, i am thinking of building my own rig, after some time, and i found many people using a cooler of some sort. Is this vital? I will not be doing any kind of overclocking, benchmarking or stress-testing, so is a fan or radiator-styled cooler important? Thanks!

You have to have a cooler for your CPU.

Typically CPUs come with a stock cooler, so you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Typically CPUs come with a stock cooler, so you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Except if he has a highen lga 2011 build it doesnt have one or a fx 9 series build

what is your build plans

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

Im thinking about getting a i5 4590, because im purely gaming, so wont need a fancy 8 core 16 thread cpu xD

Except if he has a highen lga 2011 build it doesnt have one or a fx 9 series build

what is your build plans

nah, dunno if a i5-4590 will bottleneck two 970's in sli xD do they come with coolers ? (the cpu)

nah, dunno if a i5-4590 will bottleneck two 970's in sli xD do they come with coolers ? (the cpu)

yes and you will b fine you mighet wan tto get  cheep air cooler but either way you will be fine

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

I'd go with an i5 4690 as its slightly more powerful than the 4590.

Shouldn't have any problems with a bottleneck, and yes it does come with a cooler.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I'd go with an i5 4690 as its slightly more powerful than the 4590.

Shouldn't have any problems with a bottleneck, and yes it does come with a cooler.

thanks, wont need it for gaming. 4 threads is already kinda overkill for gaming. not overclocking and 4590 is good enuf for me, not using it as a workstation

It is vital, but most CPUs come with one in the box. The main reason you'd want to buy a better one separately is either if you're going to overclock: setting the CPU to go faster than it was designed to go. That increases heat output. Another reason to buy a separate one is if you think the stock one is too loud: It's cheap to make but it comes with a relatively small fan that has to spin quickly to keep everything cool. A bigger one can get the job done with a lot less drama. I'd like to noth though, having tried both, that Intel's stock heatsinks are somewhat less terrible than the AMD ones.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

thanks, wont need it for gaming. 4 threads is already kinda overkill for gaming. not overclocking and 4590 is good enuf for me, not using it as a workstation

Its not overkill, most newer games use all 4 cores, and you not overclocking should mean you would want the most performance you can get for your money at stock speeds...

(the 4690 is an i5, not an i7)