What SSD should I get?

IBIubbleTea

Hey, Black Friday and Cyber Monday is coming up and I was think about getting another SSD for my computer. Even though I live in Canada, I think there will still be some good deals here and there. Planning on spending around $300 for +480GB storage. I'm looking for speed, reliability and long life span. Planning on running large amount of files at once on it and maybe an OS too.

I have been looking at the following.

Crucial M550 512GB

Intel 730 Series 480GB
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB
Crucial MX100 512GB

Thanks.

You must "Quote" to get my attention​.

~IBIubbleTea - 20/07/2014 

I have the Samsung 840 EVO 250GB and I've had no problems with it, I would recommend that, but I've heard nothing but great things about the other choices you listed, so you really can't go wrong with any of them.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Samsung is love, Samsung is life.

No..Plz.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Samsung is love, Samsung is life.

Samsung is lawsuits. :P

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I have the Samsung 840 EVO 250GB and I've had no problems with it, I would recommend that, but I've heard nothing but great things about the other choices you listed, so you really can't go wrong with any of them.

The thing is, The Intel one is the cheapest right now. 

All 3 brands are good choices for SSDs, you can't really go wrong with any of them...personal preference would still be Intel though.

Where's ADATA?! The SP610 and SP900 are excellent SSDs for the money.

"Rawr XD"

All of them should work perfectly, but I would personally recommend the mx100

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Samsung is lawsuits. :P

Aren't they trying to band nVidia chips in the US? I also heard something about lawsuiting nVidia because they (nVidia) claimed their Denver K1 was the fastest mobile chip and Samsung responded by saying their Exynos 5 is the fastest or some bullshit like that?

I've heard the Intel has very good reliability, I would go with the Intel one if it's the cheapest in a heartbeat.

Corsair is love, Corsair is life

-Interfectorem

Don't recall saying that, but you got me there. I really do love them too much. 

If you have the choice of MLC NAND and SandForce/Marvell like in this case though, they'd be better choices then the EVO

"Rawr XD"

Where's ADATA?! The SP610 and SP900 are excellent SSDs for the money.

i don't know. Currently I have the XPG SX900 which I bought last year and I think it's performance is already decreasing...

i don't know. Currently I have the XPG SX900 which I bought last year and I think it's performance is already decreasing...

SX and SP are different though. Last year I wouldn't have been recommending ADATA but their SP offerings are much better now

"Rawr XD"

Aren't they trying to band nVidia chips in the US? I also heard something about lawsuiting nVidia because they (nVidia) claimed their Denver K1 was the fastest mobile chip and Samsung responded by saying their Exynos 5 is the fastest or some bullshit like that?

Actually, Nvidia first sued Samsung for invalidation of their GPU patents, but realistically Nvidia should ARM instead since Samsung uses Mali GPUs.

Also, why doesn't Nvidia sue Qualcomm or other SoC designers like Mediatek?

Samsung than fired back with the benchmark allegations. 

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

Actually, Nvidia first sued Samsung for invalidation of their GPU patents, but realistically Nvidia should ARM instead since Samsung uses Mali GPUs.

Thanks for correcting me. Didn't know too much about the topic since I read a quick headline somewhere on reddit.

Aren't they trying to band nVidia chips in the US? I also heard something about lawsuiting nVidia because they (nVidia) claimed their Denver K1 was the fastest mobile chip and Samsung responded by saying their Exynos 5 is the fastest or some bullcrap like that?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they did. I'll tell you a secret between you and I. There're only 5 year olds running both of those companies, hence the childish behaviour. I can imagine an argument like this going down:

NVIDIA: Our Denver K1 is the fastest mobile chip available!

Samsung: No, our Exynos 5 mobile chip is the fastest.

NVIDIA: No, ours is.

Samsung: No, you twit, ours is.

NVIDIA: No, you piece of crap, ours is!

Samsung: NO! Ours is you scumbags!

NVIDIA: Aahh! You are a bunch of idiots! Our chip is faster and you flamin' know it!

Samsung: Fine! We're gonna get your chip banned. Then we'll see whose is faster. :P

NVIDIA: What.....ever!

:D

Samsung is perfect

fixed.

y u block me

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Whilst I like NVIDIA for their GPUs, we can probably all agree that both of these companies act very childish and immature. ;)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they did. I'll tell you a secret between you and I. There're only 5 year olds running both of those companies, hence the childish behaviour. I can imagine an argument like this going down:

NVIDIA: Our Denver K1 is the fastest mobile chip available!

Samsung: No, our Exynos 5 mobile chip is the fastest.

NVIDIA: No, ours is.

Samsung: No, you twit, ours is.

NVIDIA: No, you piece of crap, ours is!

Samsung: NO! Ours is you scumbags!

NVIDIA: Aahh! You are a bunch of idiots! Our chip is faster and you flamin' know it!

Samsung: Fine! We're gonna get your chip banned. Then we'll see whose is faster. :P

NVIDIA: What.....ever!

:D

It's more like

ME: SHUT THE FUCK UP OR I'LL KILL YOU

GEEKAZOID: NO

ME: -GRABS KITCHEN KNIFE-

GEEKAZOID: -BLABBERS SHIT ABOUT NVIDIA AND HOW GREAT THEY ARE-

ME: -STABS GEEKAZOID 384 THOUSAND TIMES-

-The wild Geekazoid has died-

-peace and eternity to has returned!-

-gave over-

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

It's more like:

ME: SHUT THE HECK UP OR I'LL KILL YOU

GEEKAZOID: NO

ME: -GRABS KITCHEN KNIFE-

GEEKAZOID: -BLABBERS CRAP ABOUT NVIDIA AND HOW GREAT THEY ARE-

ME: -STABS GEEKAZOID 384 THOUSAND TIMES-

-The wild Geekazoid has died-

-peace and eternity to has returned!-

-game over-

Huh :huh:?

Go for MX100 , at 512 GB the performance matches the samsung drive , or the m550