H100i with NF-F12 vs. NH-D15 noise levels

Ronson

Hey guys

I currently have a H100i with Noctua NF-F12 fans mounted for cooling my 4790K. I want a quieter setup with similar or better performance and was considering the Noctua NH-D15.

However, I've read in reviews that the NH-D15 with 2 fans can be fairly loud, up to 40dB. I'm almost certain that my current setup isn't that loud.

So my question is: Are the NH-D15 really this loud - and is it really louder than a H100i with NF-F12's (PWM, no LNA)? Any suggestions to other setups are also welcome!

I could crank my friends NH-D15 up to 100% and they really didn't make much noise at all

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Hey guys

I currently have a H100i with Noctua NF-F12 fans mounted for cooling my 4790K. I want a quieter setup with similar or better performance and was considering the Noctua NH-D15.

However, I've read in reviews that the NH-D15 with 2 fans can be fairly loud, up to 40dB. I'm almost certain that my current setup isn't that loud.

So my question is: Are the NH-D15 really this loud - and is it really louder than a H100i with NF-F12's (PWM, no LNA)? Any suggestions to other setups are also welcome!

Of course it depends on the RPM of the fans, but the D15 is much quieter than the h100i.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

The D15 is a lot quieter than the H100.

One major reason for this is the bigger fans that spin at a lower rpm while moving the same / more air.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Of course it depends on the RPM of the fans, but the D15 is much quieter than the h100i.

One major reason for this is the bigger fans that spin at a lower rpm while moving the same / more air.

But is it also quieter than NF-F12's?

Yeah, because the h100i has pump noise aswell.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

It's bigger noctua fans, so they are more quiet that the NF-F12.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

I could crank my friends NH-D15 up to 100% and they really didn't make much noise at all

Yeah, because the h100i has pump noise aswell.

So you all would choose the Noctua NH-D15 if you were to buy a new CPU cooler tomorrow?

So you all would choose the Noctua NH-D15 if you were to buy a new CPU cooler tomorrow?

If you want Air cooling, the NH-D15 is the best Air Tower right now.

If you want an AIO, the most silent AIO is the Cooler Master Nepton 240M or Cooler Master Seidon 240M.  Both very inexpensive, and excellent performers.  I own the Seidon 240M, and it is nearly silent while providing incredible temperatures.

If I'm buying a new AIO today, I would buy the Nepton 240M because of its insane performance and super quiet operation.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

the NH-D15 with the 2x Noctua NF-A15 PWM might be a smidge quieter than

the NF-F12 at 12v

NF-A15

sound: 19.2dBA

NF-F12

sound: 22.4dBA

not a great amount of difference between the two.

i run the rosewill hyperborea 120 fans at 12v and they are severely quieter

than the NF-F12 on LNA (or 50% cycle) and much cooler running on AIO.

Yeah, the D15 performs just as good as almost all AIO's and tends to be alot quieter.

Yeah, the D15 performs just as good as almost all AIO's and tends to be alot quieter.

Yeah sure... Do You have d15 ? I have and noctuas fan are LOUD even at 500 rpm i hear them both. Over 1200 rpm they sound like F16

To OP if you are looking for cooling solution noctua nh-d15 is a great solution, keep temps on my 4770k lower than Swiftech H220, but fans... are loud. I wouldn't recommended noctuas fan as quiet solution for pc at all. if you gonna oc Your cpu they do a job, but forget about silence.

Yeah sure... Do You have d15 ? I have and noctuas fan are LOUD even at 500 rpm i hear them both. Over 1200 rpm they sound like F16

To OP if you are looking for cooling solution noctua nh-d15 is a great solution, keep temps on my 4770k lower than Swiftech H220, but fans... are loud. I wouldn't recommended noctuas fan as quiet solution for pc at all. if you gonna oc Your cpu they do a job, but forget about silence.

I have the u14s and it is ridiculously quiet even at full load. Ask anyone on this forum and 9/10 times they will say noctua makes some of the quietest fans around, so you either have shit fans or the hearing of a bat.