Cable stupidity

Giganizer300PRO
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

So what you are saying is: if I get HDMI 1.3 or up, the Windows might not detect the full resolution, but I can change it in NVIDIA Control panel and it will work just fine, I will be able to use the monitor's full resolution - 2560 x 1080?

Yes.

Wasup

So...

My PC (new) is almost ready.

I have decided that the LG 25UM55 (aka Ultra-Wide 25" Full HD Monitor) is about the greatest thing for 220€. (If you have a better suggestion for about the same price range - or less, please post it, but don't focus on it, I'd rather see you go to my other topic: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/255864-buying-a-monitor-help-please/ )

But then I was browsing for the cheapest price and I noticed a problem that I was too stupid to see in the first place. The monitor only has 1x DisplayPort and 2x HDMI. My graphics card only has 1x HDMI, 1x DisplayPort, 2x DVI ( DVI-I, DVI-D). Why would you even do this...

Now I have 2 monitors, one on HDMI, one on DVI. I would switch one of these for the new one. But I don't have a DisplayPort cable and it's extremely hard to find one, especially in my country. I then found one costs 20€. Can I just use an adapter, like from DisplayPort to HDMI or something? The monitor I am keeping is an LG TV with resolution up to 1360 x something. At that quality, there would be no change right? What is the best thing for me to do? Help please. Thank you for your help. I will check the US stores for a cheap DisplayPort, since my friend is travelling to New York.

You need to use either a displayport or dual link dvi to use the full 2560x1080. Hdmi is limited to 1920x1080.

HDMI can go beyond 1920x1080, although you may need to set it through the NVIDIA control panel, 2560x1080 might not show up in Windows initially as a supported resolution, since it's outside the HDMI spec. HDMI is still capable of doing it though.

You can use a DVI to HDMI cable, or a DP to HDMI cable.

You need to use either a displayport or dual link dvi to use the full 2560x1080. Hdmi is limited to 1920x1080.

HDMI can go beyond 1920x1080, although you may need to set it through the NVIDIA control panel, 2560x1080 might not show up in Windows initially as a supported resolution, since it's outside the HDMI spec. HDMI is still capable of doing it though.

So... DP is the only one that supports resolutions over 1920 x 1080?

So what you are saying is: get a DP cable or you are basically fucked..... ?

So... DP is the only one that supports resolutions over 1920 x 1080?

So what you are saying is: get a DP cable or you are basically fucked..... ?

HDMI and Dual-Link DVI can both do over 1920x1080.  A DVI to HDMI adapter will only carry a single-link DVI signal though.  You should use a straight HDMI cable, then set a custom resolution in the NVIDIA control panel if the monitor's full resolution doesn't show up in Windows right away.

HDMI and Dual-Link DVI can both do over 1920x1080.  A DVI to HDMI adapter will only carry a single-link DVI signal though.  You should use a straight HDMI cable, then set a custom resolution in the NVIDIA control panel if the monitor's full resolution doesn't show up in Windows right away.

But isn't it so that HDMI only supports 1920 x 1080? How can I then set it to more and is it reliable?

But isn't it so that HDMI only supports 1920 x 1080? How can I then set it to more and is it reliable?

HDMI 1.3 onward support higher resolutions in terms of raw bandwidth, however resolutions higher than 1080p aren't part of the HDMI spec so the monitor may not report it as a supported resolution to windows (and so it won't show up in the Windows "change resolution" panel) depending on the HDMI controller that the monitor vendor chose to use.  If it doesn't show up, you can set a custom resolution in the NVIDIA control panel (or use ToastyX's CRU if you have an AMD card).  It's perfectly stable, and you can get 1920x1080 at 120Hz, or 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 at 60Hz, or 3840x2160 at 30Hz, or 4096x2160 at 24Hz over HDMI 1.3-1.4a.

HDMI 1.3 onward support higher resolutions in terms of raw bandwidth, however resolutions higher than 1080p aren't part of the HDMI spec so the monitor may not report it as a supported resolution to windows (and so it won't show up in the Windows "change resolution" panel) depending on the HDMI controller that the monitor vendor chose to use.  If it doesn't show up, you can set a custom resolution in the NVIDIA control panel (or use ToastyX's CRU if you have an AMD card).  It's perfectly stable, and you can get 1920x1080 at 120Hz, or 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 at 60Hz, or 3840x2160 at 30Hz, or 4096x2160 at 24Hz over HDMI 1.3-1.4a.

So what you are saying is: if I get HDMI 1.3 or up, the Windows might not detect the full resolution, but I can change it in NVIDIA Control panel and it will work just fine, I will be able to use the monitor's full resolution - 2560 x 1080?

Yes.

Yes.

Ok then I will use HDMI for the new LG UWD and a DVI for the old LG HD TV which only goes up to 1360 and it should be fine.

Thank you so much for your help. If there's anything I can do to thank you...