Is PhysX worth it?

TheDylinTech

Quick poll to see what everyone thinks about PhysX.

NOTE: This is not a 'AMD vs Nvidia', this is a 'what is your opinion on PhysX and do you believe games should keep using it?'

The biggest bottleneck is the Aussie internet..

CPU: i5 4690k @ 3.5 | GPU: Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-SOC | RAM: 8GB DDR3 @ 1333 | Storage: 2TB HDD, 500GB HDD & 120GB SSD | CPU Cooling: Hyper 212 Evo x 2 fans | Case: ThermalTake S41 

Display: 2 x 1080p Monitors | Keyboard: Logitech G510s | Mouse: DragonWar Phantom Battle Version | Mouse Pad: Logitech G240 | Audio: Logitech z506 Speakers & Audio Technica ATH-M50x | Misc: PS3, Iphone 5s & Ipad Air 

even in games that use it, it barely does anything, there are games with fantastic physics systems that do not use physx

I would prefer a technology that can be used universally 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

PhysX is actually a pretty cool technology for when it came out, but now that we have MUCH more powerful GPU's it is more or less obsolete. That, and Nvidia killed it by making it a closed platform.

Although it would not have been possible for Nvidia to really let it be open source as it is part of the Cores.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

There are A LOT of threads on this subject already, don't bother using the site search though it's broken. Hit up your preferred search engine and look for threads relating to PhysX on LTT. This will just turn into another shitfight when the AMD fanboys come in to bash PhysX.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

There are A LOT of threads on this subject already, don't bother using the site search though it's broken. Hit up your preferred search engine and look for threads relating to PhysX on LTT. This will just turn into another shitfight when the AMD fanboys come in to bash PhysX.Th

As I stated above please don't bring in any war on AMD vs Nvidia. I don't care if you're making a point. This is a PhysX post.

CPU: i5 4690k @ 3.5 | GPU: Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-SOC | RAM: 8GB DDR3 @ 1333 | Storage: 2TB HDD, 500GB HDD & 120GB SSD | CPU Cooling: Hyper 212 Evo x 2 fans | Case: ThermalTake S41 

Display: 2 x 1080p Monitors | Keyboard: Logitech G510s | Mouse: DragonWar Phantom Battle Version | Mouse Pad: Logitech G240 | Audio: Logitech z506 Speakers & Audio Technica ATH-M50x | Misc: PS3, Iphone 5s & Ipad Air 

There are A LOT of threads on this subject already, don't bother using the site search though it's broken. Hit up your preferred search engine and look for threads relating to PhysX on LTT. This will just turn into another shitfight when the AMD fanboys come in to bash PhysX.

TressFX FTW

I'm just messing with you...

I think that PhysX is losing its leverage as a selling point... It's nice to have, but not absolutely necessary... Same with AMD's TressFX...

I would only use it when my spare gtx 650 and my r9 270x...oh wait can't anymore...

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

However good it might be it's handicapped by having acceleration only on nVidia GPUs. This holds back developers because you simply cannot count on a game having a particular platform. It's not a console, after all. This means they keep it simple enough for AMD users who will have to run it on CPU and as a result, it has no tangible advantage over other physics libraries. Bullet physics for example has OpenCL acceleration, so it's much more viable if massive power is needed.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

If the game gives you good enough effects that dont tank the frame rate

eg Borderlands the pre sequel the effects are cool

Assassin's creed black flag for pointless 

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

As I stated above please don't bring in any war on AMD vs Nvidia. I don't care if you're making a point. This is a PhysX post.

I wasn't bringing any war bs into the thread, I was telling you what happens to EVERY thread about PhysX and how you can just look for the multitude of threads that already have a lot of good posts on the subject in them.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

I wasn't bringing any war bs into the thread, I was telling you what happens to EVERY thread about PhysX and how you can just look for the multitude of threads that already have a lot of good posts on the subject in them.

Yeah sry, I meant to put it out as a disclaimer to everyone else (not you).  :(

Yeah it has it's merit's, plus you are not really maxing a game without it...

But as stated before, there are better physics engines out there, and it needs to be universal.

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

Back in the day, I used to have a 9800GTX that enabled Physx. There was some pretty cool effects with particles and stuff, but when my card died and moved to AMD, in all honesty, I barely noticed the lack of Physx.

Maybe these days Physx does more impressive things, but my experience with it didn't leave a lasting impression.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

Its great at making things messy. It actually a relevant engine, but it is becoming obsolete. While the physx engine is still evolving, due to its locked nature (nvidia hardware) its implementation and optimization is not as economically practical for developers.

It would probably be different if nvidia never bought Ageia. The PPU probably still wouldn't exist, but it would be licensed to the video card manufacturers and integrated with their product lines with generational physics engine support. This would lead to likely more advanced physx engines implemented in games and supported to various degrees by hardware. This would also probably be used in differentiating the product lines with differing hardware support and capability depending on price point.

If Nvidia didn't block the use of nvidia cards with AMD cards for PP purposes it would likely be more popular and therefore more relevant. Nvidia could have actually seen a sales increase because of this.

Well In my opinion I would have to say that PhysX is pretty cool, like have you seen dat difference for borderlands? However as @ShadowCaptain stated above, there are many improved physics engines out there that are much more efficient.

It also needs to be universal across all GPU's if it really wants to take off but that will unfortunately never happen. :(  

PhysX is actually a pretty cool technology for when it came out, but now that we have MUCH more powerful GPU's it is more or less obsolete. That, and Nvidia killed it by making it a closed platform.

Although it would not have been possible for Nvidia to really let it be open source as it is part of the Cores.

How do more powerful GPUs make it obsolete?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

TressFX FTW

I'm just messing with you...

I think that PhysX is losing its leverage as a selling point... It's nice to have, but not absolutely necessary... Same with AMD's TressFX...

I thought TressFX would've eventually competed with PhysX, but so far, I'm wrong.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Where's  @DeViLzzz ? He love's Physx. 

Right here and feeling PHYSEXY!

It is definitely worth it as Nvidia allows you to play all games the way they were meant to be played.  That is all there is to say on the matter.  Until AMD gets something exactly like this or beats what Nvidia does I will be buying Green Team for my pcs.  Now as for other family members and pcs I build for them well I put in AMD card in my son's latest gaming rig and then felt guilty I had access to all the eye candy and sold the 7850 and replaced it with a GTX 760 so if I ever build for him again I will not buy AMD for him again unless things have changed to make it worth it. 

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

How do more powerful GPUs make it obsolete?

When PhysX originally came out, it was a stand alone product, you would put a PhysX card into your system, then Nvidia bought the company who made it and integrated it into their GPU cores. This was around the 8800 series I believe. These were not exactly powerful GPU's in comparison to what we have today, and what you could achieve with hardware then, we can pretty much achieve with software now, and the beefier GPU's. It also helps that we have new engines that have great physics engine built into them like unreal engine 4 and frostbite 4.

So more powerful GPU's ina nd of themselves do not make PhysX obsolete but the new GPU's and better software pretty much does. There are a few things that still work better when hardware accelerated but much to everyone's surprise (not) it doesn't just work on Nvidias GPU's, you can do the same stuff with a CPU but it will be very taxing.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

The game that really marketed PhysX was Borderlands 2 and it was really minor... I almost wanted to get a GTX 660 at that time because of PhysX but I found out that most games don't give a shit about it so I gave it a pass..

ASUS ROG G75VX

Intel i7-3630QM 2.4GHz/3.4GHz Turbo | Nvidia GeForce 670MX 3GB OCed to 736MHz | 750GB HDD | Windows 8.1 | 24 GB 1600MHz RAM | Razer Goliathus Medium | Logitech G400s | Razer Kraken/ JBL J22 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX blue