Controller which makes you bleed when shot (but in a good way!)

SGM

As a techie and an advocate for donating blood this really put a smile on my face. 

From Kotaku by Luke Plunkett:

Blood Sport is the perfect name for am ambitious piece of technology: a rig that will link medical hardware to a video game, and take some of your blood whenever you're hit. All for a good cause, of course.

sv2c1funqpiahpzra3tn.gif

Despite hospitals and emergency services the world over needing fresh blood every day for transfusions, there are never enough people willing to donate the stuff. Blood Sport is looking to make the act a little more lucrative, linking the charitable aspect (the losing blood part) to some fun (the video game part).

It's really simple: the electrical signal from a controller's rumble is linked to a fairly standard blood collection system. Every time the controller rumbles, some blood is taken from you.

You can read the rest of the article and watch the video here - http://kotaku.com/you-lose-actual-blood-every-time-youre-shot-with-this-c-1662416368

What do you think? Seems like a pretty cool way to get more people to donate and perhaps make it a little less stressful (or not depending on the game). Would this make you more likely to give blood?

Update:

Apparently they just suspended the project due to some unknown reason :/

Source: (update @ bottom) :http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/24/blood-sport/

Direct Source news : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1246820613/blood-sport-the-ultimate-in-immersive-gaming?ref=category

Thanks again for the info, Tech_Dreamer.

The only time incorrectly is spelled incorrectly is when it is spelled incorrectly.

Hmmmmm.....

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

I dont know how I feel about this... doesnt matter for me though I donate the normal way

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

The person still alive after 5 hours wins.

This is gonna be the way to enter the pro-leagues in E-sports now, risk your life to make a name for yourself.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

pretty interesting idea

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

i think this can cause problems for the donator, i mean you're excited, happy, focused, etc while playing and the amounts normally donated are enough to get someone dizzy at the end, i'm not a doctor but to me this sounds like trouble

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Imagine the poor sucker gets spawn camped and owned for the whole round, what then? He dies?

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

i think this can cause problems for the donator, i mean you're excited, happy, focused, etc while playing and the amounts normally donated are enough to get someone dizzy at the end, i'm not a doctor but to me this sounds like trouble

That's a fair point, though I'd like to think it'd take place in a donation clinic with medical staff on hand if anything does go wrong. The staff know to look for the tell-tale signs that someone isn't doing okay (at least I hope they would) and would take preventative action.

Obviously this wouldn't be for everyone. You'd probably have to be fit and healthy to be eligible.

The only time incorrectly is spelled incorrectly is when it is spelled incorrectly.

Imagine the poor sucker gets spawn camped and owned for the whole round, what then? He dies?

Well they'd keep donating until the collection bag is full (over here in the UK it's just over 1 pint of blood). They can also control the volume of blood taken each time they are shot\killed so they shouldn't pass out from rapid blood loss.

Clearly there'll be some limit on how much blood it can take there will be little to no risk of death.(one would hope)
Now does it take more blood for a head shot or am I going to want to start shooting people in the hands/feet to milk the most out of it lol.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

TROLOLO, feel sorry for those who suck at FPS games

Runescape player  II  Civ 6 and LoL noob  II  

No thanks, terrible idea. Instead of having people donate blood "doing what they normally do" they can have a heart and donate it on their own will.

Pointless.

Yes, because they're going to force everybody to do this...

Yes, because they're going to force everybody to do this...

Did I say, at any point, this was being forced on someone? No.

Never, ever, ever will I do this. Not because I'm a bad person, but because I've had blood taken before and I've never been more physically uncomfortable in my life. I'm fine with blood, but that needle in my arm was so uncomfortable.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

Not donating my blood, or my organs, no one would want them anyways.

Except maybe a family member.

Never, ever, ever will I do this. Not because I'm a bad person, but because I've had blood taken before and I've never been more physically uncomfortable in my life. I'm fine with blood, but that needle in my arm was so uncomfortable.

I know that feels. The morphine IV they gave me when I broke my arm was more painful than the broken arm itself.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Did I say, at any point, this was being forced on someone? No.

It was implied.

Justify it whatever way you want, it's clear you're against the idea even though it doesn't affect you. 

It was implied.

Justify it whatever way you want, it's clear you're against the idea even though it doesn't affect you. 

It was never implied, bias twists words around if you don't agree.

This is just another lazy device for people to not do something that helps others. "Oh well if I do this then I can help people" instead of going out and helping people because you care. That's not the forethought behind this.

This is just another lazy device for people to not do something that helps others. "Oh well if I do this then I can help people" instead of going out and helping people because you care. That's not the forethought behind this.

Well not really it's just more enjoyable way to do it or a way to convince friends whom may not normally donate to donate example I could challenge a friend to a blood match when that friend may not normally donate. Those that volunteer to do it on their own accord are most likely those that already donate. 

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

Don't share your controllers, kids.

You'll catch AIDS.

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

As a person who is horrified by blood and needles.

My worse nightmare has come true.

Same. RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!

Yet my pain tolerance is so high that having a needle stuck in me for blood feels like a little sting then it stops almost instantly.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I'm in If I can use a mouse and keyboard.

i like turtles

Well not really it's just more enjoyable way to do it or a way to convince friends whom may not normally donate to donate example I could challenge a friend to a blood match when that friend may not normally donate. Those that volunteer to do it on their own accord are most likely those that already donate. 

Which leads me to my point.. why does someone need something to convince them to donate blood? Same process, suck it up either way?