AMD GTX 970 with no SSD or AMD GTX 770 with an SSD or Intel 770 with no SSD

The title pretty much says it all. I have to decide between getting a GTX 970 with an AMD, a GTX 770 with an SSD and AMD, or a GTX 770 with and Intel processer and no SSD. I have links to all three of the builds below it you want to see what else I am putting into it. Also note that I want to keep this at pretty much $1000 to play modern games on Ultra at 1080p. Thanks for everyones help!

GTX 970 with no SSD and AMD: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/deathtospiders2/saved/Fssv6h

GTX 770 with SSD and AMD: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/deathtospiders2/saved/J2Tj4D

GTX 770 with no SSD and Intel: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/deathtospiders2/saved/ZdMypg

first one

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

**** the SSD right in the *****!  Get the 970 and have the best gaming experience and deal with some slower but acceptable load times.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

The title pretty much says it all. I have to decide between getting a GTX 970 with an AMD, a GTX 770 with an SSD and AMD, or a GTX 770 with and Intel processer and no SSD. I have links to all three of the builds below it you want to see what else I am putting into it. Also note that I want to keep this at pretty much $1000 to play modern games on Ultra at 1080p. Thanks for everyones help!

An R9 290 is around the same price as a GTX 770 and trails not too far behind the 970. Good gaming performance and an SSD.  /thread

Motherboard: ASRock H81 Pro BTC ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($51.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB PCS+ Video Card  ($249.00 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT Phantom 240 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor  ($149.00 @ B&H) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Intel 7260HMWDTX1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Case Fan: Gelid Solutions FN-SX12-10 37.0 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($7.99 @ Directron) 
Keyboard: AZIO L70 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($24.88 @ Amazon) 
Total: $943.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-23 20:07 EST-0500

"Rawr XD"

ssd's are a waste of money really

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Unlocked

Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($64.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB TurboDuo Video Card  ($240.00 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Edimax EW-7822UAC 802.11a/b/g/n/ac USB 3.0 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($28.99 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: NZXT FN-120RB 47.3 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($5.98 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $987.26
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-23 20:05 EST-0500

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81-D3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($58.99 @ Directron) 
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($64.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB TurboDuo Video Card  ($240.00 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Edimax EW-7822UAC 802.11a/b/g/n/ac USB 3.0 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($28.99 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: NZXT FN-120RB 47.3 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($5.98 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $928.26
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-23 20:06 EST-0500

i disagree my friend has one and its amazing how much better it feels to use the computer over a hard drive

I had one and sold it within a few days

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Bullshit

nope I had a 480GB r7 SSD and sold it because I didnt feel that much of a diffrence if you want I can show you the ad

While in interest of getting the maximum gaming performance out of your machine for the money, they are yes. But the 60$ (the price of a new game) it costs to make a 120GB ssd your os drive is really worth the upgrade for the general experience of your computer. . 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

R U okay bud?

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

nope I had a 480GB r7 SSD and sold it because I didnt feel that much of a diffrence if you want I can show you the ad

Did you get a faulty SSD or something? I've never heard someone complain about how slow their SSD is compared to their hard drive. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

R U okay bud?

yes

Did you get a faulty SSD or something? I've never heard someone complain about how slow their SSD is compared to their hard drive. 

I wasnt complaining it was faster just not enough for me to really notice it

snip

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Wow. After looking at everyones responses, I have determined that the 970 is a better investment than the SSD. However, Bubblewhale's idea of getting a 290 instead really interested me as I hadn't looked much at the 290. Because of that, I think that I will get something along the lines of his unlocked build. Thanks for everyones help though, I will probably get a SSD some time later.

Are you trolling? 

"LTT's resident SSD hater"

"I think ssd's aren't worth it"

I can guarantee that im not (against coc) 

Fun fact, it's also against the CoC to call out people for being trolls, whether they are or not. (Adding onto your post.)

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I can't even edit most videos on a hard drive unless I slap a bunch of them in raid 0. I can't even record 60 fps gameplay. thumbnails take forever to load in huge folders. My university internet is faster than my HDD can write during burt times if I use both Ethernet ports. Hell, even with one my laptop hard drive is slower. SSDs are literally 3-5 times faster depending on the ssd and hdd you are comparing against. How can you not notice the difference? If I load games on an ssd I can't even read the loadscreen tips!

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

You've used an SSD one time and you generalize that all SSD's aren't worth it. I suggest you try again because you're the first person I've seen who thinks SSD's aren't that have actually used one. 

I find it incredibly hard not to notice a difference between 10 second and 3 minute boot times. IDK maybe I'm just crazy. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Wow. After looking at everyones responses, I have determined that the 970 is a better investment than the SSD. However, Bubblewhale's idea of getting a 290 instead really interested me as I hadn't looked much at the 290. Because of that, I think that I will get something along the lines of his unlocked build. Thanks for everyones help though, I will probably get a SSD some time later.

I would go for that too. For now, best bang for buck. It's worth upgrading to an SSD, but that can be done later. Upgrading a gpu means getting rid of the old one where adding and SSD, you will still need your HDD either way. SSDs are worth it, but the nice thing is it's an upgrade you can add any time, so you don't really have to consider them for your initial build.

muh specs 

All parts black

Go GTX 970 and no SSD.

An SSD isn't crucial to have in your system. It's nice as a speed improvement in terms of OS start times and responsiveness, but a hard drive will do perfectly fine. People seem to overblow the importance of SSDs at this point in time, when they're just not that important.

I own an SSD. It's very nice to have, I will be the first to tell you. But, it's not the end of the world without one.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

You've used an SSD one time and you generalize that all SSD's aren't worth it. I suggest you try again because you're the first person I've seen who thinks SSD's aren't that have actually used one. 

I find it incredibly hard not to notice a difference between 10 second and 3 minute boot times. IDK maybe I'm just crazy. 

I got 10seconds anyway (windows 8) noticed it mainly in adobe stuff but it was a 5-10 second diffrence

Go GTX 970 and no SSD.

An SSD isn't crucial to have in your system. It's nice as a speed improvement in terms of OS start times and responsiveness, but a hard drive will do perfectly fine. People seem to overblow the importance of SSDs at this point in time, when they're just not that important.

SSDs are really important. Going back to an HDD after using an SSD is cringe worthy at first. But people should always go for a better card over a card and ssd, as it's easier and cheaper to add an SSD than upgrading a gpu, which would require you get rid of your old one.

muh specs 

All parts black

SSDs are really important. Going back to an HDD after using an SSD is cringe worthy at first. But people should always go for a better card over a card and ssd, as it's easier and cheaper to add an SSD than upgrading a gpu, which would require you get rid of your old one.

So almost every consumer desktop under $1000 doesn't have one why? And most laptops under $750?

Again, they're not as important as you're making them seem. You can live without one just fine and lose little in terms of gaming performance.