How long do you consider a computer should last

andre82693

4-5 years, maybe a little more than that.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

~3-5 years. Depending on your budget and needs.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

For a gaming rig, until it either goes out in a blaze of glory OR once it can't run High settings with some good AA at decent framerates.

For a laptop or workstation, can't say. But if I get a Surface Pro 3 that thing had better last at least a good 4 years.

Git Gud.

well it really depends on the GPU at this point. The more AMD ignore CPUs to catch up to Intel the more games will get better optimized as game developers have to suit everyone and if 1/2 the market is weak, then the game just might be weak for the CPU power too so your i5 will stay in relevance for longer. GPU can last a good decade worth of gaming if you let it age. People are still gaming at low with 8800 GTXs and they are ok to a degree because low graphics on most games these days still look damn good, so its just the fps to worry about. I'd say 4 years for CPU though

System: Intel Core i3 3240 @ 3.4GHz, EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2GB ACX 2.0, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Kingston HyperX RAM, ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0 Motherboard, Corsair CX430 W Power Supply

3-4 years for a decent desktop.

2-4 years for a laptop/lower end desktop.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Do you mean how long can a gaming PC stay proficient at gaming the latest games? Probably about 5 years.

If you meant how long can a computer stay operational before keeling over and dying, well, we still have an operational vacuum-tube Ferranti Pegasus computer from 1957 that the Science Museum in South Kensington still fires up every once in a while.

So, given the sturdiness of the components, (and given that some MSi motherboards, I think, have a max. rated operational lifespan of about 40 years) I would say that as long as you keep them at stock speeds and at reasonable temperatures, a reliable computer that is taken care of and maintained (excluding its hard drives) could last upwards of a hundred years. But that's just me. I don't have the time or the lifespan to see how long my computer will last.

For heavy work/gaming? 4-5 years.

For normal stuff? +- 10 years

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

How long do you consider a gaming computer  should last

Generally my answer is 3 years.  

After three years at least one of these things will be sacrificed: Performance, compatibility, or reliability. 

In terms of durability and failing parts.. no one knows. 

It feels like no matter how long it lasts, computers have a shorter lifespan than they use to have back in the day.

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

If you're really into gaming, playing the latest and greatest games at the higher setting.... 2~3 years.
If you don't mind lowering the graphics, 4~5 years

Computers have a much longer life span these days. Especially CPU wise, where Intel barely increase the performances of their CPU and mostly concentrate on lowering power consumption in the last few years.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I recently got myself X99 [MSI x99s Xpower AC / 16GB Dominator 2666 / 5960x] and I consider it to be fine for around 5 years, at least the mobo and the CPU, RAM and GPU are updated when needed.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

talking about the whole computer? or parts? my dads pc is a i7-920 with 6 gigs of ram and a gt 9800(i believe). for everyday use, its more then perfect for him still. and its near 6 years old. computers are not getting exponentially faster like before, until we have a huge break though its going to be slow sailing. 

my guess is all current high end hardware will last until some huge revolution comes though, and computers get exponentially faster again. 

my guess is all current high end hardware will last until some huge revolution comes though

Quantum computing. 

Quantum computing. 

eh hopefully, 20 bucks says 10 years from now, most consumer hardware is going to be mobile chips, or something similar. super power efficient and small, and any heavily lifting will be cloud computed. because if internet can be reliably 10-50gbps, why cant everything be done in the cloud? cloud gaming is almost a thing

4-6 years. Maybe more depending on upgrades

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Your computer should last 3-4 years without any upgrades at all, although don't expect to be maxing out games.

eh hopefully, 20 bucks says 10 years from now, most consumer hardware is going to be mobile chips, or something similar. super power efficient and small, and any heavily lifting will be cloud computed. because if internet can be reliably 10-50gbps, why cant everything be done in the cloud? cloud gaming is almost a thing

I wonder what that would mean for content creators on a budget who want to make their own system.

The only problem with the whole cloud thing is that internet that is cheaper isn't fast. Before cloud things like cloud gaming can become a thing cheap internet has to be faster.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Almost infinite as long as the standards don't change. If you look back at where we've been the rate of change has slowed drastically. Properly configed systems haven't changed that much in the last 6 years. If you already have a good amount of ram then the gpu is the weak spot and that's easily changed to a more powerful card.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

I expect hardware to last 4 years, past that I accept it's death.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

I wonder what that would mean for content creators on a budget who want to make their own system.

The only problem with the whole cloud thing is that internet that is cheaper isn't fast. Before cloud things like cloud gaming can become a thing cheap internet has to be faster.

there is a bunch of companies offering gigabit speed at $30 i believe. once comcast doesnt own a monopoly, and for people in rural areas, wireless speeds are growing exponentially. i see data transfer will be the thing to grow the most soon. once the infristracture can grow faster then the demand, we will be set. the 4k push will demand a whole lot out of companies. after that though, its people going to be a bit before the next big jump. 

tech is amazing. i mean, look just 5 years ago how much faster speeds are. yet my dad is still using the identical computer, and by no means is it a slouch. 

there is a bunch of companies offering gigabit speed at $30 i believe. once comcast doesnt own a monopoly, and for people in rural areas, wireless speeds are growing exponentially. i see data transfer will be the thing to grow the most soon. once the infristracture can grow faster then the demand, we will be set. the 4k push will demand a whole lot out of companies. after that though, its people going to be a bit before the next big jump. 

tech is amazing. i mean, look just 5 years ago how much faster speeds are. yet my dad is still using the identical computer, and by no means is it a slouch. 

Heh heh not here in the Upper Mid-west. It'll still probably be awhile. 

I still kinda favor local data just because yeah well it's there.

Still that would kinda suck for content creators on a budget.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

talking about the whole computer? or parts? my dads pc is a i7-920 with 6 gigs of ram and a gt 9800(i believe). for everyday use, its more then perfect for him still. and its near 6 years old. computers are not getting exponentially faster like before, until we have a huge break though its going to be slow sailing. 

my guess is all current high end hardware will last until some huge revolution comes though, and computers get exponentially faster again.

what's is this madness my dad has the EXACT same specs please tell me its not a sapphire cars

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.