Is double monitor worth it or ultrawide?

CaptainKoda

If you're going to be gaming across both monitors then go with one Ultrawide so you don't have annoying bezels but if you are just using two for productivity then 2 monitors would be better.

My Current Build: 

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.11V, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Asus GTX 760 DCII Overclocked, Corsair CX600M

Ultrawide will look better in most cases because you won't have any bezels in the middle.

Paragon [ Intel i7 4770k @ 4.2GHz | 16GB @ 1866MHz Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 | ASUS Z87-Pro | Zotac AMP GTX 1080 Ti | Corsair H100i GTX | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | 2 x Crucial M500 240GB SSDs | Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 | Corsair Carbide 300R ] (Backup Storage: Seagate Expansion 5TB USB3.0 HDD)

ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q }

i love my ultra wide. had a triple monitor setup, bezels drove me crazy

CPU-I7 4790k | Motherboard- asus maximus VII hero | RAM- G Skill Trident x 16 gigs | GPU- Asus gtx 980 strix | Case- Fractal Define r4 blackout | Storage- 250 samsung evo boot, 500 evo for games, and 2 tb wd black for storage | PSU- Corsair rm850 | Display(s)- LG 34um65 | Cooling- Noctua NH-U14S | 

there is something to be said for a 27 inch main and an additional 21-24'' 1080p. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

if cost is a factor (guessing it's not) then grab a couple of monitors, chop the corresponding bezels off and sit them reeeally close together.

Curious as to why dual monitors would be better for productivity...

Considering you can get an ultrawide now at the same resolution as two monitors, for around the same price as two monitors from LG (almost anyways)...whats the purpose of wanting to buy two seperate monitors, even for productivities sake, the bezel/second display still introduces a slight input lag on the second monitors part, puts a bezel in-between you and the second monitor which introduces something called the doorway effect on your memory (causing you to forget very small things that you have to then remember, think of it as needing to go to the car, stepping out the door and forgetting your keys, after just reminding your self to remember to get them) and usually ends up having two different colored monitors unless you get two of the same kind (which could be pricey depending on your current monitor, mine being one for display work...) so if the option is to 

deal with it

or not deal with it for the same price...

Why deal with it? 

Because you can have a fullscreen application open and still have something else running.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Ultrawide if you want the benefits of both productivity and content consumption of a large screen. 

Dual tends to work solely from a Productivity standpoint, though having one monitor for games and another for anything else is great. (Though, you could just use your tablet or phone as a second screen if you really had to surf or social during or between sessions.)

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

@NotGoodAtLying A plethora of reasons, which is why I have 6 monitors (3x 1080p 3D monitors for gaming and general productivity, another 1080p IPS monitor, which mirrors to a 1080p TV for video watching and for colour work, and a 21:9 3440*1440 IPS display for anything that requires horizontal space such as Premiere or Audition). I also keep a 4:3 in reserve.

That's because different tasks need different things from a monitor. Different aspect ratios, panel types, resolutions and refresh rates. In the 2-monitor example, I would take 2 monitors over 1 wider monitor anyday (for productivity). Apart from being able to run 2 apps in fullscreen side by side without lousy 3rd party software, being able to individually height adjust and pivot depending on needs is a freedom that's worth having, 

Productivity only -> dual monitor

Gaming and productivity -> Ultrawide

Well said! :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Dual monitors tbh

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

if cost is a factor (guessing it's not) then grab a couple of monitors, chop the corresponding bezels off and sit them reeeally close together.

Haha, and void your warranty. ;):D

For me, I have thought about this too, but I feel that dual monitors is the way to go, especially for my hobby.

I buy all my stuff used, so that's never really a concern for me :lol: I'm such a cheapskate

Haha, well.....no worries then. :D

Considering you can get an ultrawide now at the same resolution as two monitors, for around the same price as two monitors from LG (almost anyways)...whats the purpose of wanting to buy two seperate monitors, even for productivities sake, the bezel/second display still introduces a slight input lag on the second monitors part, puts a bezel in-between you and the second monitor which introduces something called the doorway effect on your memory (causing you to forget very small things that you have to then remember, think of it as needing to go to the car, stepping out the door and forgetting your keys, after just reminding your self to remember to get them) and usually ends up having two different colored monitors unless you get two of the same kind (which could be pricey depending on your current monitor, mine being one for display work...) so if the option is to 

deal with it

or not deal with it for the same price...

Why deal with it? 

Two Dell u2414h's (thinnest bezel monitor going) - £360

LG 34UM95 - £680.

Your point is moot.

The only thing about dual monitors I dislike over ultrawide is that windows minimizes the fullscreen window when you switch between a fullscreen program and a second monitor. Ultrawide will always be better for games that support it, but most of the time I just run a game on one monitor and a browser on the other.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Nothing to add from myself after the @CommandMan7 post...

Beside the thing that some applications does support dual monitors like video editing and stuff.
For gaming is mainly Ultrawide/triple surround, since having black strip in the middle is the worst idea ever.
But anyway, I opt for dual, since I use it for a quiet a long time now, and it's just so much convinient that when iSwitch to regular one monitor setup or laptop I feel confused and limited. ^ ^ 

• 3 weeks later...

@NotGoodAtLying A plethora of reasons, which is why I have 6 monitors (3x 1080p 3D monitors for gaming and general productivity, another 1080p IPS monitor, which mirrors to a 1080p TV for video watching and for colour work, and a 21:9 3440*1440 IPS display for anything that requires horizontal space such as Premiere or Audition). I also keep a 4:3 in reserve.

That's because different tasks need different things from a monitor. Different aspect ratios, panel types, resolutions and refresh rates. In the 2-monitor example, I would take 2 monitors over 1 wider monitor anyday (for productivity). Apart from being able to run 2 apps in fullscreen side by side without lousy 3rd party software, being able to individually height adjust and pivot depending on needs is a freedom that's worth having, 

Ah see 6 monitors makes sense.... >.> but 2? vs an ultrawide?