Comments from an avid console gaming collector/hoarder that will never switch to PC.

He wasn't responding to me in any of his comments. 

"Won't happen. Why do you think I pick up some many classic games? To have what are new experiences to me for years." (Response to claims that he'll have to become a PC gamer if consoles get discontinued or become all digital.)

"Never going to happen." (Response to PCs hooked up to living room TVs, any controller you want to use, nearly unlimited options available where to and how to interface.) 

"I do not prefer the cold nature of PC gaming. I don't support digital content, and I simply dislike the, shall we say, lack of charm to it. Charm is hard to define exactly. You either get why a console and its library are unique and interesting, or you see it as just more games. I feel the former." (Response to someone claims PC gaming is objectively better) 

"Let's be real man, no one collects physical PC games. Ultimately, it boils down to preference. I fully acknowledge the positives to it, but they don't outweigh what I consider to be the negatives." (Response to how hard copy discs of PC games are still released to collect.)  

"It's still digital content. Guys, honestly, this isn't complicated. I quite simply will never be a PC gamer." (Response to GOG being DRM free.)

"Me personally, I'll just keep playing classic stuff. As it is, I have more games than I'll realistically be able to play in my lifetime." (Response to what if consoles become digital only.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So he's made up his mind. He will collect and store consoles and their games as long as there are DRM licenses tied to discs and carts. I weighed in. My main argument is that console collecting now takes up a lot of space considering so many games can be stored and played digitally off hard drives. That he should stop collecting starting with 8th gen except for exclusives. If you have to install your XBO and PS4 games off discs it defeats the purpose of console gaming. Optic disc drive serial code DRM isn't safe. 

"All video games are digital in a way. A Blu Ray contains an ISO and a DRM code to get processed by an optic disc drive. If your optic disc drive stops reading discs you're screwed. If a replacement optic disc drive doesn't match your consoles serial number it won't play game discs; solder while supplies last because the console manufactures don't want it to be easy for you to maintain consoles because they're betting on them breaking so you buy new ones to inflate sales numbers.

Decades in the future when we have petabyte memory cubes/crystals most of the original hardware and software will be fragile, deteriorated and like antiques they will only survive in museums on display or in storage not to be played again. The preservation of video games will not come from it's original cartridge and optic disc drive DRM formats, but from data on boundlessly expanding digital storage, backups and transfers to better more secure formats generation after generation. To throw out another retro sci fi movie, look at what happened to those books in The Time Machine (1960). 

Time Machine - Books

If there's DRM free PC games to be had they can be burned onto those same blank Blu Ray discs you've mentioned before. Or how about those external hard drives that you can use with a XBO but can't with a PS4? If you have to install all your PS4 and XBO games to a hard drive like a PC anyway; external on USB or internal, your disc copies of console games are more so a means of distribution as a solution for people with slow internet.

So let's say most big PC games, the AAA titles that get advertised you know, aren't DRM free. It's true, Steam has a different version of DRM just like the console discs and consoles themselves do. You can't sell or trade your games like console copies, but you know that's a pretty stupid practise to be participating in anyway especially with Gamestop. With Steam there are emerging ways to share your games BTW. If Steam collapses and PC licenses become void there will be a tremendous piracy backlash. At this point you better believe the future consoles games will be distributed like Netflix to small set top boxes.

I think you like collecting hard copies of stuff. It's just more exciting to you. You like the antiquing adventures in second hand stores and finding those rare finds like minded people would care about. An Atari Jaguar game for $100 is only worth $100 to an eccentric collector; the right buyer. You'll set vacations around hitting used game stores. A Steam Sale to you is finding $5 games in a bargain bin, some you know of, some you don't and some you may never play. You're buying them years and years after their marketability has faded away to swoop in and collect what has been discarded; out bidding customer trade-ins even. It's not because of DRM security because optic disc drives don't last forever. You bide your time for fresh dead console used game market to oversaturate with deals rivaling Humble Bundles considering how so many once cost upwards of $50 and $60 new.

You're willing to entomb yourself around media that can be carried digitally in the size of a big shoe box. The controllers are worth more than the games if they can be emulated.

Ask yourself this : How important is VHS when DVDs exist? How important are DVDs when thousands can be backed up, stored, and transferred on multi terabyte hard drives? Now we have Blu Rays. Sure they're less likely to break like DVDs and CDs before them, but that data can be managed simpler with diversified HD backups."

So what? If someone likes doing it and there's no harm for others in that, just let him keep doing it!

Although I do not agree with the guy in question at all, the "cold nature of PC gaming" phrase reminds me of "digital sound is lifeless, real music is only on vinyl" threads.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

Sounds like he enjoys what he enjoys, I don't see why you have such a problem with it. How about you ditch PC and get consoles instead, oh wait you won't because you like PC much like this guy likes consoles.

Stop being a dick.

|| Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 || RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengance (3000) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450-Plus || Graphics Card: Gigabyte RTX2070 || Storage: 750GB SSD (2 Drives), 3TB HDD (2 Drives) || Case: NZXT H500 || Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W || 

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like he enjoys what he enjoys, I don't see why you have such a problem with it. How about you ditch PC and get consoles instead, oh wait you won't because you like PC much like this guy likes consoles.

Stop being a dick.

You just owned him son,you get Shrek for your achievement

Link to my knowledge google.com .My most beloved store newegg.com

My tech:PS3,

i5 4690k,Msi R9 390,1600 mhz DDR3 8GB Avexir,Gigabyte Z97 Gaming 3,Corsair Carbide Spec 03,Cooler Master VS650,Philips E Line 22 inch monitor,A4Tech illuminated kb crap and Gigabyte Force M7

i5 4200u,GT 740M and 4GB RAM

Most of the OP's whine is about digital content over physical distribution not consoles vs PC. What a joke, most of the content I get on the consoles I own are also digital. Also really, I'm sorry, the person you were arguing was right when they said that nobody collects physical copies of PC games. So you're just digging a hole for yourself there. If this person wants to be all nostalgic about physical distribution of games? Then let them be. How is it really hurting you at all if someone wants to do that?

You know the thing I love about this community? Most of the time it all comes back to the games. That's what it's really about.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

You sound super annoying.  Let the guy enjoy his hobby.  This is why the world hates you pcmustardface people.  Just shut up and let the guy play what he wants to play and how.

Stop being a dick.

What I found in common with a lot of the replies was the idea that : If someone is doing something you don't like and it doesn't hurt you, don't worry about it. I agree with this regarding gay marriage, but this is different.

There are distancing complex buffers like optimization priorities and exclusivity contracts behind closed doors that twist things up for everyone. These restrictive deals are tied more to consoles. The Watch Dogs E3 settings getting buried on PC. 30 FPS frame locks. Gamestop business drums up more pre order DLC, more exclusives screwing people coming and going. It's like second hand smoke where someone is slowing killing themselves and they don't care about it or who's in the room. Find me a smoker under 20 and I'll show you someone that doesn't give a fuck. Things may have never been better for PC gamers now as console platforms become more similar, but there are conflicts between consoles that pull everything down like crabs in a bucket.

So they're hurting themselves more, and me less, so forget about it because none of it matters. I use to like console stuff before I built my first PC because I didn't know any better. The news about RRoD would've been enough of a signal to not buy a 360 if I had better alternatives, but in the end it just delayed the purchase thinking it had been sorted out by 2009. It did for me, no RRoD, but within 2 years my 360 stopped reading discs and it was out of warranty.

>Builds PC in 2012 guided by channels like LinusTechTips after years of mistakes. The final solution.

>Joins reddit after XBO reveal and Microsoft E3 2013 controversy and the backlash on youtube.

>Is ignored by friends list as they deny anything is wrong. That everything is Awesome!

>XBL Gold expires around Titan Fall's release date 2014.

>In retrospect dismisses consoles as a whole as segregated hotel minibars in livingrooms.

It would be stupid to wholeheartedly fanboy over one console from another. Before I quit XBL I was tolerant and diplomatic going back to SNES vs GENESIS, it didn't matter then. 

Now I dismiss loyalty to them all and then some. That moment I saw Bioshock running 60 FPS at 1080p I was sold. No more having to buy the same software again and again platform to platform, I.E HD remastered games going from 7th gen to 8th within 2 years of release.

For crying out loud, let the people enjoy the content in the way they want to enjoy it. I have a Wii U, 3DS and PC and I enjoy games on all of them. Some months I play more games on Wii U, some months I'm on PC and some months I'm on my 3DS. In recent months with the way things are I've actually been enjoying games on my Wii U more, that's just how it is. Hell some months I stumble across a mobile game and that's what consumes my time. Content is content and it's there to be enjoyed, stop being such a dick.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Threads like this should be deleted and be in the Terms as banned. It's dumb and no one cares.

"My hot dog is better than your hamburger."

"Nuh uh, my bacon cheese burger is better because it has more on it."

"Hot dogs are classics that every one likes. Just add mustard."

Just shut up and eat.

Honestly, who really cares what he plays on, he's just an ignorant fanboy.

I'm finding it to be a waste of time arguing with console peasants/fanboys.