Best Budget Gaming CPU?

Now I've been doing some digging and i'm planning a build for my friend. We're trying to keep it as close to $650 (w/ Windows included) as possible. According to Austin Evens >Link< my best 3 choices are: AMD Athlon 760K/860K (MSI A78M-E35 Micro ATX) OR (MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX) Pentium G3258/Core i3 4150. While the Pentium will basically beat the AMD side of things when OC, my friend will not be doing any OCing & wants the best performance outta the box. With Mantle & DX12 beginning to take advantage of more than 2 cores whos to say the AMD side will soon be back in the running against Intel in the battle of budget CPUs.

But I want to know what you guys think? Personally I own a machine w/ a 760K it plays everything on 1080p just fine (expect for big AAA titles due to 650Ti).

>As far as I know he wants to play: Star Wars TOR, Battelfield 3,4, & Hardline, CoDs, & maybe a couple other games at high+ setting 1080p.

Pentium G3258 + Hyper 212 Evo + Overclocking = Win

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Athlon 860k, with a decent mobo, and either stock cooler, or aftermarket, depending on if you are going to OC or not. Dual core gaming is on its way out, and the pentium can't hang up to speed anymore, with it not even launching Farcry 4 and Dragon age inquisition

fx 6300 - sapphire dual x r9 270x - Zalman z9 - Evga 500B - Cooler master hyper TX3 - Win. 8.1 - Asrock 970 extreme 3 r2.0 - Crucial ballstix sport 8gb (2x4) - WD blue 1TB - some random optical drive for 11$

I'd say the 4150. When you factor the cost of a cooler and a Z97 board, it costs more than a 4150, stock cooler and a H97 board.

Old system: Pentium 4 521 | Dell 0JC474 | 1.5 GB DDR2 533 MHz | 8 MB (yes, you read that right) integrated graphics | Hitachi Deskstar 80 GB | Generic Dell 230 watt PSU and case

Athlon 860k, with a decent mobo, and either stock cooler, or aftermarket, depending on if you are going to OC or not. Dual core gaming is on its way out, and the pentium can't hang up to speed anymore, with it not even launching Farcry 4 and Dragon age inquisition

I heard that myself.

Overclocked Pentium G3258

Pentium G3258 + Hyper 212 Evo + Overclocking = Win

Pentium G3258 overclocked.

"my friend will not be doing any OCing"

Get an i3 if you're not overclocking imo.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

I repeat NOT GOING TO OC

Then straight up the I3

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

any haswell core i3 performs better and smoother in games than an overclocked pentium, with much less stuttering and hitching...better frametimes as well...it's what i would suggest OP

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I read it.. but why? It's free speed and takes no effort.. it would be stupid not to OC, especially on a low budget!

I agree, but some people just aren't comfortable with doing it. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s