Laptops not on 802.11n frequency and not on 5GHZ band

pureGold
Go to solution Solved by ionbasa,

There are definitely older devices that use wireless G in my household. I can't set my router into N only mode, there's no option. I have the Netgear C3700.

Those older devices are what is causing your links speeds to drop.

My suggestion:

Go look for a cheap B/G access point, maybe find one at a garage sale, and setup a separate wireless network for Wireless G devices, and use your c3700 for wireless N compatible devices.

Hello Linus Tech Tips Forum! 

I recently bought a new Netgear C3700 modem router, but the laptops in my house are not using the 802.11n frequency and one of them is not on the 5GHZ band when I enable it and make it the preference. My HTC One M8 can connect to the 5GHZ band fine, but my laptop cannot even see it. Below are the details of these laptops.

Laptop 1: Samsung Book Ativ 4 NP470R5E

Network Adapter: Intel Advanced Centrino N-6235  Version 15.14.0.2

When I go to CMD and type in netsh wlan show drivers, it says the radio types supported are just 802.11g, but Intel's website AND my advanced settings for this adapter say I can go on 802.11 b/g/n on 2.4 GHZ and 802.11 a/n on 5 GHz. I enabled 802.11n mode in the advanced settings and made it prefer 5GHZ but it won't pick up the 5GHZ signal. 

Laptop 2: Toshiba Satellite C55-A5100

Network Adapter: Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11n PCI - NIC   Version 2012.4.1022.2013

Like I did for the previous laptop, I did netsh wlanshow drivers, and it says radio types supported are 802.11 b/g/n, but it's not using it. In the advanced settings I see no option to enable 802.11n mode.

My internet speed is 105 Mbps down, and about 10 up. On 5GHZ it reaches this perfectly, but on 2.4 GHZ, I only get a mere 8 Mbps, just like my old box which only supported 802.11g. So, please help me in this situation as I don't want this modem router to go to waste. Thank you for reading and for all the replies!

Edit: I want my laptops to be able to use 802.11n standard, they seem to be stuck on 802.11g. 

802.11 is a standard, not a frequency, I think the default frequency is 2.4GHz. As for your laptop, does your router show up when you're really close to it?

Both my laptops are connected to the 2.4GHz band of the router, the one does not pick up the 5GHz one when I get close to it.

Some wireless cards only work on 2.4GHz. Often times the radio will try to operate on the band that has the strongest signal, and not whichever is the fastest.

I guess my question is unclear. My priority is to get both laptops on 802.11n, but it doesn't seem the two are using that standard.

Can you change the SSID from the 5GHz band in the Router?
I added a "-5G" to my 5GHz Wi-Fi so it will always and only use the 5GHz band if i connect it to the 5GHz.

And you can tell immediately if a device supports 5GHz or not.

I don't have a Netgear but thats how i did it:

4gnxghsw.jpg

~ ThxAndBye

"You should remove any cats from the vicinity, because cats will cause all kinds of problems doing CPU installation." -Linus

delid i7-3770k @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.265V | EVGA z77 FTW | GTX 680 2way-SLI | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866MHz | 240GB SSD RAID 0 | Full Custom Water Loop with two 360mm radiators  -> live temps <-

Can you change the SSID from the 5GHz band in the Router?

I added a "-5G" to my 5GHz Wi-Fi so it will always and only use the 5GHz band if i connect it to the 5GHz.

And you can tell immediately if a device supports 5GHz or not.

I don't have a Netgear but thats how i did it:

4gnxghsw.jpg

I did change the SSID. Like you I put 5GHZ at the end of mine to tell the difference.

Not all devices can use the 5Gz band.

Yes they can both use the 802.11 b/g/n standard but it does not may they are compatible with the frequency.

2.4Ghz is the standard, Yes so is the 5Ghz but not many devices use it or are compatible with it; and 5Ghz is not backwards compatible with 2.4Ghz devices and thats why no one uses it.

You will have to use it on 2.4Ghz band or use a ethernet cable with the laptop.

I did change the SSID. Like you I put 5GHZ at the end of mine to tell the difference.

--- CPU:  AMD A10-7850k --- Motherboard:  ASUS X88MPlus --- RAM:  G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 Dual --- GPU:  Integrated APU --- Case:  Aerocool Dead Silence Gaming Cube Case  ---

Not all devices can use the 5Gz band.

Yes they can both use the 802.11 b/g/n standard but it does not may they are compatible with the frequency.

2.4Ghz is the standard, Yes so is the 5Ghz but not many devices use it or are compatible with it; and 5Ghz is not backwards compatible with 2.4Ghz devices and thats why no one uses it.

You will have to use it on 2.4Ghz band or use a ethernet cable with the laptop.

So is there no hope for getting these laptops on the 802.11n standard?

They can both use the 802.11n standard But not the 5Ghz frequency of the N band.  802.11n Supports 2.4.Ghz and 5Ghz. Not many devices use the 5Ghz or are compatible with 5Ghz.

They only added the 5Ghz because device interference.

If you want to use ther 5Ghz you will need to get a new network card for your laptop that supports the 5Ghz. Why do you want to use 5Ghz? it doesn't give better performance, it just helps if you have lots of interference like in a large office where hundreds of devices are connecting to routers on the 2.4Ghz band

So is there no hope for getting these laptops on the 802.11n standard?

--- CPU:  AMD A10-7850k --- Motherboard:  ASUS X88MPlus --- RAM:  G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 Dual --- GPU:  Integrated APU --- Case:  Aerocool Dead Silence Gaming Cube Case  ---

They can both use the 802.11n standard But not the 5Ghz frequency of the N band.  802.11n Supports 2.4.Ghz and 5Ghz. Not many devices use the 5Ghz or are compatible with 5Ghz.

They only added the 5Ghz because device interference.

If you want to use ther 5Ghz you will need to get a new network card for your laptop that supports the 5Ghz. Why do you want to use 5Ghz? it doesn't give better performance, it just helps if you have lots of interference like in a large office where hundreds of devices are connecting to routers on the 2.4Ghz band

Then how can I use the 802.11n because I can't figure out a way to turn it on? 5GHz seems better for me because I live in a crowded neighborhood and less interference seems like a better solution, but if that doesn't work then it's fine, my priority is 802.11n on 2.4 Ghz. Thanks man, you've cleared up my question a lot.

Then how can I use the 802.11n because I can't figure out a way to turn it on? 5GHz seems better for me because I live in a crowded neighborhood and less interference seems like a better solution, but if that doesn't work then it's fine, my priority is 802.11n on 2.4 Ghz. Thanks man, you've cleared up my question a lot.

802.11n works off 2.4Ghz as well. Out of curiosity, you mention that the one of your laptops has the Intel Advanced Centrino N-6235 wireless card. That should work with 5Ghz. Can you see your wireless SSID with the -5Ghz label? If not, you may need to update the drivers from: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&FamilyId=1783&ProductID=3315&ProdId=3315

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

802.11n works off 2.4Ghz as well. Out of curiosity, you mention that the one of your laptops has the Intel Advanced Centrino N-6235 wireless card. That should work with 5Ghz. Can you see your wireless SSID with the -5Ghz label? If not, you may need to update the drivers from: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&FamilyId=1783&ProductID=3315&ProdId=3315

I understand that 802.11n works off 2.4 GHz, but it isn't being used. I updated my N-6235 network adapter but I still can't find the SSID with 5GHz label using https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&FamilyId=1783&ProductID=3502&ProdId=3502.

I understand that 802.11n works off 2.4 GHz, but it isn't being used. I updated my N-6235 network adapter but I still can't find the SSID with 5GHz label using https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&FamilyId=1783&ProductID=3502&ProdId=3502.

Are you using AES for your wireless encryption? TKIP or TKIP+AES doesn't bode well with 5Ghz. (I also believe that to get full 802.11n speeds, that AES is the only supported encryption).

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Are you using AES for your wireless encryption? TKIP or TKIP+AES doesn't bode well with 5Ghz. (I also believe that to get full 802.11n speeds, that AES is the only supported encryption).

I am only using AES encryption.

I am only using AES encryption.

Well, Can you see any 5Ghz bands at all? Even from a neighbor or coffee shop?

The adapter does work on 5Ghz and should pickup the 5Ghz signal. Can you take a screenshot of what device manager shows for your wireless card, such as:

4dIiHCK.png

Well, Can you see any 5Ghz bands at all? Even from a neighbor or coffee shop?

The adapter does work on 5Ghz and should pickup the 5Ghz signal. Can you take a screenshot of what device manager shows for your wireless card, such as:

My neighbors don't have any 5GHz band, so I'm the only one in the neighborhood according to my phone which is on 5GHz. (Checked on my phone with WiFi Analyzer which is on the 5GHz band) My laptop however can't pick up the 5GHz band.

post-164257-0-18697000-1417112289.png

My neighbors don't have any 5GHz band, so I'm the only one in the neighborhood according to my phone which is on 5GHz. (Checked on my phone with WiFi Analyzer which is on the 5GHz band) My laptop however can't pick up the 5GHz band.

attachicon.gifNetwork Adapter.png

What are the option sunder the 802.11 Channel Width for the 5Ghz band and what are your options for the 802.11N mode? What about Fat chanel intolerant and Mixed Mode protection? And lastly preferred band?

Channel width 5Ghz: Auto, 20 MHz, on auto at the moment

802.11n Mode: Enabled/Disabled, I enabled it.

Fat Channel Intolerant: Enabled/Disabled, it's disabled 

Mixed Mode Protection: RTS/CTS enabled, CTS - Self enabled. It's RTS/CTS enabled

Preferred Band: No preference, 2.4 GHz, 5.2 GHz. It's on 2.4 GHz preferred since I'm using that one. If I switch it to 5.2 GHz, it still does not pick up the 5GHz signal.

bump

Did you buy the adapter separately, or did it come as an OEM part with your laptop?

If the latter, there may be a "catch 22".

Did you buy the adapter separately, or did it come as an OEM part with your laptop?

If the latter, there may be a "catch 22".

It came with the laptop. Why is it a catch 22? I have been reading about when manufacturers put together computers some functions are restricted for some reason. Is that why? If this is the case, should I buy a wifi usb adapter to achieve 802.11n output?