Luxury watchmakers target pirate smartwatch faces

ahhming

The world's leading luxury watchmakers are teaming up to squash competition from unofficial digital rivals.

Big brands including Omega, Tissot, Certina and Mondaine have taken exception to 'pirate' faces being made available for cutting edge smartwatches and are now trying to delete them from the Internet.

Mondaine, a Swiss-based company also involved in the latest takedowns, famously found itself in a huge spat with Apple after the company included one of its designs in iOS6. That ended up costing Apple a reported $21 million in licensing fees. The same design is readily available for the Moto360 on various watch face sites.

Source:

http://torrentfreak.com/luxury-watchmakers-target-pirate-smartwatch-faces-141122/

http://www.cnet.com/news/time-is-money-apple-pays-21m-for-clock-design-says-report/

I want the second from the left in the bottom left

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Apple invented pirating watchfaces!

Anyway, it's kind of silly using a watchface from a physical watch on a smart device. The whole point of a smart device is that it should show you something more.

@The_Strict_Nein  The one on linus' instagram? Yeah that one is cool.

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

"If it's one of those thing where you don't even think about, of course it is fucking patentable." US Patent Office.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Actually, they should be able to take faces off, its there design

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

now trying to delete them from the Internet.

because that is exactly how internet works, and it has been a successful strategy for so many other people... *cough* 

ugly-beyonce-super-bowl-pic-396x550.jpg

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Streisand effect, anyone?

AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5ghz (1.332v) | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Asus M5A97 R2.0 | Kingston HyperX 16GB @ 1600mhz | MSI Radeon R9 290 Twin Frozr

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w PSU | 256GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 | Zalman Z11 Plus

that bottom second to the left one,

it's perfect.

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

i think thats fair, besides you must be really stuck for watch designs if you have to steal them there is an infinite amount of designs especially when its a screen aswell

It seems entirely reasonable that they don't want their IP used without permission, These ARE their designs after all and I'm sure they're copyrighted.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Apple invented pirating watchfaces!

Anyway, it's kind of silly using a watchface from a physical watch on a smart device. The whole point of a smart device is that it should show you something more.

Believe it or not but there is a lot you can do with a good watch. People underestimate the watch. It is a complicated, reliable, accurate watch that works and works non-stop for many many years. People like to point fingers at wrist watches for being so expensive but they don't realize how much money has been spent on training people to build these watches, R&D and the materiel costs involved. You could say I am bias and you would be correct but I own a few watches and I love them, I rarely wear them because they are valuable to me and I don't want them to be stolen. One of my watches is nearly 60 years old now. I would like to see the Apple watch last that long. I would bet it would last no longer then 6 years. Also it's like how many of us are hardware PC enthusiasts, it's not just the practical side it's also because you are really interested in components, for some it's watches and I don't blame them because a watch is art.

I find it quite lovely and hypnotic how something mechanical can be so accurate. They took the Omega Speed master professional to the moon for a reason instead of a digital watch.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Eh, I'm with the watchmakers on this one. Those designs are entirely theirs and they've had them for decades in some cases. It's their IP.

Omega especially. These are the guys who have the damn moon watch. Don't steal their face. Buy it.

Then again, were in forum where spending 500 on a watch is insane (based on previous threads) but spending 500 on a GPU is #toolegittoquit

People underestimate the watch. It is a complicated, reliable, accurate watch that works and works non-stop for many many years. People like to point fingers at wrist watches for being so expensive but they don't realize how much money has been spent on training people to build these watches, R&D and the materiel costs involved.

I agree that they are cool and I see why people appreciate them, but there's also elegance in utilitarianism.

It's neat that you can get a mechanical watch to be so reliable and accurate, but electronics can be so so much more accurate while being more resistant to shock, temperature changes and costing so much less.

There's beauty in achieving something complicated very simply. Like chaining basic system functions together in bash scripts instead of downloading separate bloated pieces of software for each task you want to do. Or building a kit car for 23 000 pounds that outperforms sports cars people pay 3 times as much for.

Yes, high end mechanical watches are amazing, but the effort that takes also makes them an extravagance. Something that I could go admire in a museum, but the idea wearing something like that on my wrist seems vulgar.

Eh, I'm with the watchmakers on this one. Those designs are entirely theirs and they've had them for decades in some cases. It's their IP.

Omega especially. These are the guys who have the damn moon watch. Don't steal their face. Buy it.

Then again, were in forum where spending 500 on a watch is insane (based on previous threads) but spending 500 on a GPU is #toolegittoquit

I agree with you, but i find it ridiculous how they want to "delete them from the internet"

i can see them getting the faces out of the app store or whatever you use to get them though. but pirates will always exist...

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

I agree that they are cool and I see why people appreciate them, but there's also elegance in utilitarianism.

It's neat that you can get a mechanical watch to be so reliable and accurate, but electronics can be so so much more accurate while being more resistant to shock, temperature changes and costing so much less.

There's beauty in achieving something complicated very simply. Like chaining basic system functions together in bash scripts instead of downloading separate bloated pieces of software for each task you want to do. Or building a kit car for 23 000 pounds that outperforms sports cars people pay 3 times as much for.

Yes, high end mechanical watches are amazing, but the effort that takes also makes them an extravagance. Something that I could go admire in a museum, but the idea wearing something like that on my wrist seems vulgar.

I guess there is just more craftsmanship in a wrist watch or a pocket watch then there is in a smart phone or a smart watch. Yea looking at dye shots can be nice but I would rather open up my watch and stick my head really close to it and watch all the gears doing their own thing. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Actually, they should be able to take faces off, its there design

Where design? There design!