IPS true colors, or fast 144 hz tn panel?

Niceeguy

So i currently run a what i would call powerfull system with an i7 processor, gtx 780 ti graphic card and 16 gigs of ram. And because of that, i thought that since i have such a powerfull video card, i should have a monitor which could display the extra frame rates i would be getting. Didn't stop a second to think about, if the games would even look good. So i bought a benq xl2420te (without the e in europe), which runs at really smooth 144 hz. I was really excited about my new system rig, as i upgraded it from a shitty laptop, that would run league of legends unstable at low settings. I watched all kinds of videos with the new generations beautiful graphics, and i was prepared to be blown away after i had set up my new rig, and installed a couple of games. However this is not what happened.. I started by firing up bioshock infinite. I was really hyped about this game, as i played the first bioshock and found the story really great, and the gameplay good. When i got into bioshock infinite, i got disappointed. The game ran totally smooth, but the monitor didn't really give me the satisfaction of showing off a beautifully made game with beautiful colors. I dont know how to put this, but the monitor showed me the game and the game only. All the colors where there, but it didn't wow me, it was like yea, im playing bioshock now, and all the pretty videos i watched, where a total lie, because its not really that fucking great. Then i fired up bf4. Same thing once again. I saw all the trailers that showed off beautiful graphics, but when i played it, it ran smooth, but again it showed the game and that only. No nice details or beautiful colors. ​This was a great disappointment to me. I had the best rig my money could buy, but the games weren't giving me what i wanted. When i had my laptop and dreaming of having a powerfull pc, i would think about how blown away i would be, and how grateful i would be, because I've never likely experienced anything like it. Finally able to play smooth beautiful games. At least i could play smooth. 

At least i think that its smooth, because when i see gameplay on youtube from a console, it looks exactly just as smooth, but 10 times more mind-blowing, because they are playing on a big ass tv-screen. Now i can also watch gameplay on youtube at 60fps, which looks exactly like my 144 fps gameplay on my monitor. Problem is, when i play bf4 and turn my own monitor down to 60 hz, there is an incredible difference. I really see the 60 fps, like lag, and not even remotely smooth as 144 hz is, but when i see console gaming and/or youtube gameplay at 60 hz, it looks as smooth as 144 fps. Can this be, that when you half the refresh rate from 144 (overclocked from 120) down to 60, its like dividing af regulars monitor refresh rate down to 30? I really dont get it, but if anyone could explain/debate this that would be great :) 

Another question i have for you guys is, if i should get rid of my benq, and instead buy an ips screen instead. Because i think gaming is as much in the beauty and details, which i dont see with my current monitor. And i want to be wowed every time i turn the monitor on, and fire up borderlands 2 or bf4 or whatever. But is it really on the cost of lag, cuz i really dont see it. Inform me please. 

Regards!

First what you SHOULD do is calibrate the monitor. Play with the settings or look up recommended settings from a good review of the panel. I have the exact same one and I needed to tweak it quite a bit for it to look best as possible. Frankly things look pretty good on this panel, might be a case of misplaced expectations.

An IPS will give you more accurate colours and might be better for you, but try calibrating first to see if it makes a difference.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

You see i´ve already tried that, but i dont really seem to have found the best calibrations yet. I saw a pretty long ass guide, but when i did it, it just made the colors less "shiny" so to say :/ wasn't really pleased by that. 

Try this one http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1388430311

Picture preset:Standard

Brightness51

Contrast50

Sharpness:5

GammaGamma 2

Color temperature:User mode

R98G89B94

AMAOn

Instant ModeOn

I get pretty good results like that, personally I reduced Gamma a bit as well and run at lower brightness.

In relation to your "shiny" colours, I'm worried you might be talking about really oversaturated colours that are overly bright. A good calibration means you see accurate colours, not very bright a popping colours per se, but the ones that the creators used.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

The review also proves to a point that the panel is actually quite good at colour representation.

But again, i have to say that these calibrations doesn't really make the colors look like "wow that is fucking beautiful". Its just standard, it looks like its supposed to. Best way i can describe it is, that it looks basic. You know the feeling when you go to your friends house saturday afternoon to chill, and he fires up his ps4 on the giant tv. Its THAT feeling i want to get, when i play my own games. It looks absolutely gorgeous, and it runs just as smooth as my own 144 hz monitor. I guess im just mad, that i dont get the wow-facor that you do on better screens. How do you feel when you fire up your games? Im actually curious about that, as you said that you are fine with the monitor. 

But again, i have to say that these calibrations doesn't really make the colors look like "wow that is fucking beautiful". Its just standard, it looks like its supposed to. Best way i can describe it is, that it looks basic. You know the feeling when you go to your friends house saturday afternoon to chill, and he fires up his ps4 on the giant tv. Its THAT feeling i want to get, when i play my own games. It looks absolutely gorgeous, and it runs just as smooth as my own 144 hz monitor. I guess im just mad, that i dont get the wow-facor that you do on better screens. How do you feel when you fire up your games? Im actually curious about that, as you said that you are fine with the monitor. 

Sounds like you need an IPS or PLS panel :P

Well yea, i think i do, but i´ve gotten used to playing at 144 hz, which looks really good. I dont wanna play on a screen which looks laggy to me :/ unless someone can convince me, that 60 fps looks just as smooth on an ips panel as 144 hz look at a tn panel :) 

Well yea, i think i do, but i´ve gotten used to playing at 144 hz, which looks really good. I dont wanna play on a screen which looks laggy to me :/ unless someone can convince me, that 60 fps looks just as smooth on an ips panel as 144 hz look at a tn panel :)

60 vs 144, you'll notice the difference. I actually bought a 144hz and returned it, the colours were just too bad for me to use. Any TN panel will look like garbage compared to even the worst PLS or IPS panel. 

Sounds like you'd rather have 144hz over colour though.

Thing is i did a test. I launched bf4 on my 144 screen, and on my laptop besides me i went to youtube and saw gameplay at 60 fps (the new thing youtube does), and it looked exactly the same. I can even go so far and say that the youtube video looked even smoother. And if i can get that experience on a nice ips sceen, id really rather that. Try and do the same :) Was also thinking about buying a ps4 controller to play with, cause its nice lying in bed while playing not so intensive games. For that i would also rather have a 27" screen than my 24" benq i have now. I just really dont wanna buy it, if its gonna seem laggy to me. 

60 vs 144, you'll notice the difference. I actually bought a 144hz and returned it, the colours were just too bad for me to use. Any TN panel will look like garbage compared to even the worst PLS or IPS panel. 

Sounds like you'd rather have 144hz over colour though.

WOW! Talk about a wall of text. :o

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

WOW! Talk about a wall of text. :o

Well, i like to be detailed about problems that i give a lot of thinking myself. I want to be exactly sure that my decision is the best. Do you have an answer, or did you just want to make a statement? 

Well, i like to be detailed about problems that i give a lot of thinking myself. I want to be exactly sure that my decision is the best. Do you have an answer, or did you just want to make a statement?

Fair enough!

I'll get back to you on that. ;)

Fair enough!

I'll get back to you on that. ;)

Thank you :) Sorry if i came off a little agressive, that was not my intention. 

I would like to thank you for all your answers :) 

For now i have come to the decision, that im gonna wait some months, so i can afford a new ips screen. That way, i can keep my 144 hz benq monitor, as a solution, for when i want some intense smooth gameplay. The ips screen, i can use for casual gaming, with a ps4 controller, or just my regular mouse and keyboard. 

I´ve decided that i want a 21:9 aspect monitor. So i´ve been looking at this lg 29um65, which should have nice colors while keeping low response time. However i have also been looking at the  asus mx299q, which seems to have a better contrast. Is there anything you guys, wanna add to this? :) Maybe even suggest a newer/better monitor? 

I would like to thank you for all your answers :).

No worries mate. Happy to help. :)

For now i have come to the decision, that im gonna wait some months, so i can afford a new ips screen. That way, i can keep my 144 hz benq monitor, as a solution, for when i want some intense smooth gameplay. The ips screen, i can use for casual gaming, with a ps4 controller, or just my regular mouse and keyboard.

That's not a bad idea. Your current display should satisfy you till you can get that little extra bit of cash saved up. :)

I´ve decided that i want a 21:9 aspect monitor.

Well that's probably not a bad decision. They are pretty awesome. Great for watching your common 21:9 aspect ratio movies on, not to mention gaming with that extra width. You should find it quite enjoyable to be honest.

So i´ve been looking at this lg 29um65, which should have nice colors while keeping low response time. However i have also been looking at the asus mx299q, which seems to have a better contrast. Is there anything you guys, wanna add to this? :) Maybe even suggest a newer/better monitor?

Yeah, I think I would suggest to you that maybe you could go for this (http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-29UB65-P) LG Ultrawide IPS monitor. It just has a better (also adjustable) stand which can come in quite handy if you find the monitor is too low. It's a pretty good buy I think. You'll just have to search for it in your local stores. I hope that helps ya. :)

Yeah, I think I would suggest to you that maybe you could go for this (http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-29UB65-P) LG Ultrawide IPS monitor. It just has a better (also adjustable) stand which can come in quite handy if you find the monitor is too low. It's a pretty good buy I think. You'll just have to search for it in your local stores. I hope that helps ya. :)

Thanks for the suggestion :) I looked it up, and it does indeed have a nice stand, with pivot and height adjustment. However it has a rather low contrast (500.000:1), versus the 29um65, which has a higher contrast (5.000.000:1). And compared to the mx299q its nothing, as that one has 80.000.000:1! :o Wasn't able to find the mx´s response time though, but i guess thats the one im thinking of buying the most, unless you tell me its an old panel their using, and the lg is newer and better :b Or there a better 4th monitor haha ;) 

Thanks for the suggestion :) I looked it up, and it does indeed have a nice stand, with pivot and height adjustment. However it has a rather low contrast (500.000:1), versus the 29um65, which has a higher contrast (5.000.000:1). And compared to the mx299q its nothing, as that one has 80.000.000:1! :o Wasn't able to find the mx´s response time though, but i guess thats the one im thinking of buying the most, unless you tell me its an old panel their using, and the lg is newer and better :b Or there a better 4th monitor haha ;)

That's actually the dynamic contrast. Not the real contrast. Don't be put off by that. That dynamic contrast is greatly inflated and is not realistic. What you wanna look for is the static contrast which is typically around 1,000:1. So please, ignore those 500,000:1 to 100,000,000:1 contrast specs because they are unachievable and are fake. ;)

Well there is a pretty damn big difference from 5.000000:1 to 80.000.000:1, so there has to be some kind of difference. Else they would say their monitor has infinite contrast ;) Anyway, do you know anything bout the displays? Which has the newest/best panel and such? 

Personally I prefer IPS or VA over TN. I have a VA monitor and I love it. The colors are beautiful.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Well there is a pretty damn big difference from 5.000000:1 to 80.000.000:1, so there has to be some kind of difference. Else they would say their monitor has infinite contrast ;) Anyway, do you know anything bout the displays? Which has the newest/best panel and such?

Oh but they do, check out Samsung's "Mega Infinity" contrast ratio, whatever that means...

Contrast ratio is the difference between the highest and lowest level of light output the screen is capable of. If the brightest is 1000x brighter than the darkest it can do, it has a 1000:1 contrast ratio.

Manufacturers now measure "dynamic" contrast ratio as the difference between the brightest and darkest across different frames (because there is no rule that says they have to measure it as the brightest and darkest that can be displayed at the same time) so they measure the brightest it can get, then have the display deactivate its backlight, then measure it again to get its "darkest" level although it will never ever get that dark in actual usage. Since with the backlight off there is zero light output, this technique always yields a technically infinite contrast ratio, but they can't say that otherwise people might get suspicious and actually look into it ;) so they just make up increasingly large numbers every year.

Colours and viewing angles all day every day imo, having owned the benq 120hz gaming monitor in my previous build and now currently using the AOC 1440P IPS I can attest to the differences. I did enjoy 120hz, it even felt better in windows(scrolling/windows/browsing) but I feel the colours and viewing angles bring me into the game more and make it pop. Depends what you use the monitor for ofcourse, if you sit playing cs:go all day and dont care about the game looking great then the 120/144hz would be much better for you, but if you like a nice balance of amazing looking games and being able to watch blu ray rips in all their glory with no washed out colours or horrible viewing angles then grab the ips. Also the extra screen space over 1080p is amazing!

Based on what you've said so far OP it sounds like you're better off sticking with the 144Hz BenQ

IPS Panels, assuming they're a good one, do have more accurate colours, I haven't really noticed it as far as gaming goes, I've found the higher refresh rate to be better across the games I play.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM