Far Cry 4 doesnt support dual core cpu's

So? Even CoD: AW does this.

Quad Core processors are becoming a requirement for AAA titles.

Except even CoD: AW FIXED IT WITH A PATCH.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

To anyone who is exclaiming "who is even using a dual core?"... 48% of steam users, that's who. Quad core users follow with 44%. Admittedly the figures are only for physical CPU's, and many of those dual core users probably have hyperthreading.

People don't mind stuff that requires high end hardware, if it pushes high end hardware and looks good in the process. Crysis has been practically immortalised due to this. But you got to wonder if they realllly needed to run 4 threads, or if they were just lazy or had some other ulterior motive.

The pc requirements don't really apply to me anyways though. They apply to whatever rig I have in a years time when I pick this up on a cheap arse steam sale, along with any other Ubisoft title I can bring myself to even consider.

Edit:

Source for steam stats: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/cpus/

To anyone who is exclaiming "who is even using a dual core?"... 48% of steam users, that's who. Quad core users follow with 44%. Admittedly the figures are only for physical CPU's, and many of those dual core users probably have hyperthreading.

Well two physical cores is quite broad, since most mobile i7s are dual core.

"Rawr XD"

People don't mind stuff that requires high end hardware, if it pushes high end hardware and looks good in the process. Crysis has been practically immortalised due to this. But you got to wonder if they realllly needed to run 4 threads, or if they were just lazy or had some other ulterior motive.

The pc requirements don't really apply to me anyways though. They apply to whatever rig I have in a years time when I pick this up on a cheap arse steam sale, along with any other Ubisoft title I can bring myself to even consider.

Edit:

Source for steam stats: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/cpus/

Pretty sure that also says the most common Vram is 1gb and the average intel cpu speed is 2.3-2.69ghz so clearly there's a lot of steam users that wont even attempt to run it. 

I'm curious how the survey works I own 5 machines running steam ranging from Intel core 2 quad@3ghz with a 2gb 560ti to my main I7 4770k machine in my sig does it count them all? (Which would surely drag down the average) or would it only count the one I was logged in on at the time? (most likely my AMD A10 7850K with a 4gb 270x HTPC) 

I don't have steam on my laptop which is my only dual core.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

Fuck I was just about the buy a G3258 for a budget rig, sigh, thank god I didn't buy it yet

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

It's no big secret that you need 4 cores for AAA titles, even if they would support 2 Cores...

You also need 8GB of RAM, even though the game only uses 3 :)

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

@lordbaal

Actually I am curious to know aswell. If it just gets facts off every computer that steam is installed on, it would be way out. I game on a 4770, but have installed steam under my name on about 5 different systems running dual cores.

You were referring to both in that post. And mobile hardware is no different than desktop hardware. You can maintain several cores at a lower thermal threshold compared to a very few highly clocked cores. The next step is Graphene (strongest material on the planet). After that we won't need to worry about it as the architectures companies are developing will be irrelevant. We've already got fiber optic microprocessors as is.

Laptop vs. Desktop are the same cores, but no, phone chips are nothing like their bigger core brothers. You don't get all the control logic that makes the branch prediction good and keeps the instruction pipeline fed to the same degree (hence the IPC disadvantage of phone chips).

Also, Graphene is the second strongest behind Carbyne.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

i have a dual + ht, but yeah, ive you have one of these you shouldnt be able to run these games :P

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Well it would make sense if core optimization didn't look like this.

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test

And if the game wasn't a stuttering piece of crap on my OC 4770k... 

Just chalk it up to game devs being lazy and Ubisoft is hardly the only lazy developer. It running like crap on a 4770k or a hexa? Yeah that puts them in a league of their own. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

What about FX-6300s or Athlon II X4s? (3 and 2 floating point units each, respectively)

Does it see them as 6 and 4 (integer) threads, or 3 and 2 (FPU) threads?

Because I'd be feeling ripped off if I was on a 2/2 Intel chip with way more IPC and unable to run it, but an AMD 3 / 2 "core" could run it just because it reports 6 / 4 "threads" to Windows even though the game most likely needs the floating point performance and not the integer performance.

Then again, there are many reasons I haven't bought a Ubisoft game since 2004, and even then it was an accident.

they do have 6 and 4 physical cores even though two cores share cache 

Well it would make sense if core optimization didn't look like this.

-snip-

And if the game wasn't a stuttering piece of crap on my OC 4770k... 

Just chalk it up to game devs being lazy and Ubisoft is hardly the only lazy developer. It running like crap on a 4770k or a hexa? Yeah that puts them in a league of their own. 

Exactly. A G3258 is a GREAT cpu with some excellent performance, and so are i3s. Ubi just is idiotic. They're (unfortunately) pumping out bad software. 

If only Ubisoft-ing had the same ring as EA-ing, because MAN is Ubisoft EA-ing hard. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

Exactly. A G3258 is a GREAT cpu with some excellent performance, and so are i3s. Ubi just is idiotic. They're (unfortunately) pumping out bad software. 

If only Ubisoft-ing had the same ring as EA-ing, because MAN is Ubisoft EA-ing hard. 

They're not EA-ing at all EA aren't doing anything wrong....

G3258 aren't "GREAT" they're extremely budget cpu's. Do we know for a fact it doesn't run on I3's?? another extremely budget cpu. I'm not saying they're bad or not great value CPU's but they're not "GREAT" as you make out intel extreme editions are "GREAT" cpu's maybe.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

They're no EA-ing at all EA aren't doing anything wrong....

G3258 aren't GREAT they're extremely budget cpu's and do we know for a fact it doesn't run on I3's another extremely budget cpu. I'm not saying they're bad CPU's but they're not GREAT as you make out intel extreme editions are GREAT cpu's maybe

I mean like EA used to be. 

And I'm not saying that the g3258 is the fastest processor in the world, nor am I being an intel fanboy, but it's a lot of processing power. The 2 core thing is just arbitrary. 2 cores don't have to be weak at all. 

The G3258 is strong, really strong. 

Also, I don't know about you, but i3's are not super budget. Well over $100 dollars, closer to $150 for some, considering an FX 8320 is like $120. 

I mean like EA used to be. 

And I'm not saying that the g3258 is the fastest processor in the world, nor am I being an intel fanboy, but it's a lot of processing power. The 2 core thing is just arbitrary. 2 cores don't have to be weak at all. 

The G3258 is strong, really strong. 

Also, I don't know about you, but i3's are not super budget. Well over $100 dollars, closer to $150 for some, considering an FX 8320 is like $120. 

In the world of CPU's they're budget cpu's and when you say "GREAT" I expect it to be freaking awesome those caps made me think you were implying they were freaking awesome. Also the 2 cores of a G3258 aren't any stronger then 2 cores of my I7 4770k@4.6ghz

Personally I consider the I5 4670 and 4690 to be average good cpu's anything lower then those are budget cpu's IMO when even my 4770k is super cheap next to a 2011-3 intel extreme edition.

hen you say "GREAT" I expect it to be freaking awesome those caps made me think you were implying they were freaking awesome. 

It's hard to convey emotion/tone over the internet. 

What? Dual core? Also not if hyperthreaded? Cuz I don't quite understand your wording?

Then alot of laptop users will be in trouble, most of those are still hyperthreaded dual cores...

Yeah...that includes me

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

It's hard to convey emotion/tone over the internet. 

Agreed it's a problem with any form of text.

Damn, I'm damn torn about recommending pentium to anyone thanks to this.

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!? Goddamnit, that was the one game I was thinking about actually buying from Ubisoft. Nope, not now. Ubi, you've done gone and screwed me. I mean, sure, obviously it won't run as well, but at least support it!

I guess it really is time that quad core CPU's become minimum.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

Laptop vs. Desktop are the same cores, but no, phone chips are nothing like their bigger core brothers. You don't get all the control logic that makes the branch prediction good and keeps the instruction pipeline fed to the same degree (hence the IPC disadvantage of phone chips).

Also, Graphene is the second strongest behind Carbyne.

Phones are no different in the same aspect that you simply cannot push clock frequencies. They too suffer from a limited frequency barrier thus the only way to go beyond said performance is to simply just add more cores. IPC in phones is a completely different concept as the architecture is completely different executing completely different instruction sets. Carbyne is only the strongest material in theory. Tho no one has been able to make it reliably.

It's funny how games run at 60+ FPS with a midrange GPU on a Pentium G3258 and how certain Ubisoft titles don't allow for such things.

I get that 4+ core CPUs are the future, but a Pentium G3258 is more than enough to play damn near any game with a decent GPU at acceptable framerates. I know that this Pentium is better than my aging Core 2 Quad but the fact that it works on a midrange CPU from 6 years ago and not on a new CPU that has plenty of firepower.

Just ugh.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Phones are no different in the same aspect that you simply cannot push clock frequencies. They too suffer from a limited frequency barrier thus the only way to go beyond said performance is to simply just add more cores. IPC in phones is a completely different concept as the architecture is completely different executing completely different instruction sets. Carbyne is only the strongest material in theory. Tho no one has been able to make it reliably.

http://www.gizmag.com/carbyne-properties/29393/

Also, graphene is harder to manufacture in large quantities.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd