why do people use ssd's

MRSMIFFY

No matter if you have an SSD or a HDD. Windows WILL bog down over time with installs/uninstalls for programs leaving trace files, as do installed programs create entries all over, bits n bobs everywhere making some/most mechanical drives used for OS enrage a lot of power users after some time, because HDD response to actions you do, take longer to initiate/complete <- this is why an SSD matters to me.

Regardless of some systems being absolute beasts,

When WIndows DOES bog down over time.......not having an SSD and taking minutes to Boot, plus also taking their sweet time loading programs as fast as you'd like.

SSD response times and random reads and writes.. night and day.

Extended dealings of that 'loading' mouse cursor, the spinning circle... No thanks, I like it relatively instant, and an SSD does that.

Mechanical HDD's have been a huge bottleneck for years, your only as fast as your slowest part, when high frequency (2.8Ghz+) Dualcores Quadcores and Fast Memory became standardized, HDD's were a huge bottleneck to getting the MOST out of your system, having to use 3xMech's in Raid 0 gave some people hope, but nowhere near as much joy as their first SSD.

Tidbits - I have two 256GB Samsung 840Pro's, my first SSD was the OCZ Agility3 (still used today in my mums PC) I have also tried the 840's in Raid0 (Joining the space was the reasons, not the speed)

Games had little to no benefit, neither did Windows (actually longer to boot by loading raid functions at bios startup) and programs don't load much if at all faster.

perfect explanation there i couldnt have asked for a better reply ...... ''your only as fast as your slowest part'' i guess i just never felt the need for a ssd as my os is only about 6 months old and the only thing that really takes any time is battlefield 4 and iracing once in a while i would get a spinning circle thing i didnt think that would be associated to boot drive being a hdd  

I thought that as well when I built my PC but within a week I purchased an SSD.

Big reason is certain games are unplayable or just have too much loading time without an SSD.

Secondary reason is having your OS, apps, and cache on a SSD drastically improves the responsiveness of the OS. 

With 120GB you have only enough room for the OS, 1 AAA title (50GB) and another old title or smaller game. 

So IMO 240-256GB is really the sweet spot for a SSD right now 

thanks for your input and is it like a huge performance gain from hdd to ssd like 750ti to 980 ???

i think i was going to buy a ssd anyway but was very much undecided on it 

Thanks to everyone else who commented i read them all and took on board what you said 

I will probably get a 256gb as most of you suggested 

thanks for your input and is it like a huge performance gain from hdd to ssd like 750ti to 980 ???

i think i was going to buy a ssd anyway but was very much undecided on it 

Ya it is. Like someone else in this thread said there are a lot of moments when your OS needs to write to the drive to store minor information like settings configs. With an SSD it's almost instant versus a hard drive that'll have wait time. So overall the snappiness of the OS increases dramatically.