"New" SSD gets stuck. Help me diagnosing and troubleshooting

PSenapus

Hello,

I bought an used Corsair F60 that was sold to me for "as new" conditions as I was planning to make my parent's overclocked Core 2 Duo E8500 system become some faster.

The previous owner described the SSD as new, replaced by Corsair and "just back from RMA". It arrived to me without packaging or receipt and the previous owner does not respond to me any longer, so I'm on my own.

However this SSD gets stuck: suddenly and apparently randomly the hdd led on my case lights up and everything seems frozen.

What I did:
Received the package

Connected SSD to motherboard
Boot up with windows 7 installation
Quick format and install Windows 7 on SSD

Windows update
Driver installation

How do I diagnose what the problem is?
I am sure the rest of the computer is fine.

System specs:
Cooler Master Cosmos 1000
Asus P5Q Deluxe
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500

4x1GB DDR2 800MHz

MSI HD6850 OC

XFX Pro series 550W core

"Gerard if you're watching I'll see you at the usual spot in 10 minutes, if you know what I mean." Linus Sebastian, 2014.

I think the previous owner is full of shit and sold you a brick.

Install windows in a different drive and run diagnostics. 

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

I think you paid for a dud SSD.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Perhaps you could tell me what diagnostic tools I should use and what to look for, captain.

"Gerard if you're watching I'll see you at the usual spot in 10 minutes, if you know what I mean." Linus Sebastian, 2014.

My opinion stems from the fact that the person doesn't respond to you anymore. However, you can try using CrystalDiskInfo.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Take a look at Corsairs "SSD Toolbox", it should be able to tell you some more information.

http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/blog/2013/may/the-corsair-ssd-toolbox

You can also use CrystalDiskInfo to check out the SMART data to see if anything stands out:

http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/293462-32-failing-help

I hope you haven't been victim of a scam, best of luck.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

CrystalDiskInfo, ATTO disk suite, yadda, yadda, yadda. Do a Google search there's a ton of them. Just don't pay for anything.

Your best bet first is the Corsair SSD Tools software though for diagnostics. Use it and pay attention to what it says about the life of the drive.

And buy new from now on. These are not so expensive that taking the risk is worth it.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

Thank you, I will upload a screenshot of the S.M.A.R.T. feedback as soon as I can.

Hm, S.M.A.R.T. info seems alright. I'll upload a picture later.

I've found out this SSD uses the sandforce 1200 controller and a lot of people online have had issues with it before.
Unfortunately not many people have shared how they fixed the issues, they just shared the fact that the fixed it.

Somebody said an updated firmware fixes many issues, and this SSD does not have flashed an updated firmware so I'll flash the latest one and see what happens.

Another person said that doing a secure erase fixes the freezing problems, can anyone tell me why such thing would work? I'm trying it today.

The person who sold it to me probably thought it was broken, but maybe it can be fixed.

Even if it is faulty I did not pay much for it so I'm cool, but if some procedure can fix these issues I'd be much cooler.