Should I clean my PSU?

Laurysss

So from the bottom of the case i can see that my psu is very dusty. I can unscrew the screws and take the PSU out and clean it but do i need to do this? Nothing is overheating on my computer.

CPU: AMD FX 8350 | GPU: AMD R9 270 Windforce | MOBO: ASRock 990FX Extreme 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB | Case: X Predator X1 |CPU COOLER: Hyper T4

NAZIS WILL RISE.

@lazer holy freaking balls

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Quick bursts of compressed air so do you don't ruin the fan bearing. Like @laxer said, unless you know you way around the innards of a power supply, don't open it.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

I wouldn't open it or anything, compressed air ftw!

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Yeah what everyone else said, PSUs are very dangerous even after you unplug them you can shock yourself. Just buy a can of compressed air and blast it from every angle and that should do the trick.

I'll have to add my voice to this thread and say DON'T DO IT! The capacitors inside the PSU can carry a massive amount of charge that will kill you if you touch them. I'll mirror what every one here is saying and use compressed air.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

Use a stick or something to stop the fan from spinning then blast it with compressed air. Its what I do and it works.

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

Don't open the PSU unless you really know what you're doing. The caps in a PSU I once opened were big enough to hold 25 joules of energy. That's defibrillator territory, mate. Just blow the dust out with compressed air.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

I have taken many apart..BUT my dad is an electrician so I have learned alot from him and what to do..

I also would STRONGLY suggest never opening them up..

@syrazpc - for all my rambles about PC's -- My Gallifreyan Build In Progress

Long story short...

Do NOT open a PSU unless you happen to be an expert electrician.

As many have said, use compressed air.

kompooterz.