IDE For Web Developing

Redliquid

Hey there friends :-) 

I've spent a bunch of hours learning HTML and CSS over at " http://www.codecademy.com/learn

and i'm now looking for a similar place to continue coding but all on my own this time.

So far i've looked over at " http://www.reddit.com/r/learnprogramming/comments/1echwu/what_is_the_best_ide_for_web_development/ " and found 
http://codepen.io/ " which is pretty much exactly what i wanted (though it'd like to have the third box for code to be php or Python instead of JavaScript.)

However this is bound to a website so i cant use it if i dont have internet acces. Do you guys know a similar editor that i can download and use on my computer?

Thanks in forehand!

My web-browser freezes whenever i try to create links, therfore i just wrote the url.

Redliquid~

A local IDE for web development? I personally just use dreamweaver, but a few other people like using eclipse with web dev plugins which is a pain in the ass in my opinion, but it is free. If you need something sort of like codepen, have a look at http://codepad.org/ It's not user friendly at all, but you can test PHP/Python and a bunch of other things.

To get started with a local solution though, you need a local webserver because PHP is a server side language of course therefore you need a server. I suggest going and downloading XAMPP. Most others recommend WAMP because it only has the bare necessities you need, so it's more lightweight. But XAMPP is so much prettier, and WAMP makes me want to torture a water bottle or something weird like that, so just grab XAMPP

You mentioned you needed Python as well, follow the link below to find out how to integrate Python with XAMPP

http://www.biogem.org/blog/convert-xampp-into-xamppp/

Finally, since you have a webserver for your testing now anyway, a full IDE might not be the best solution. A simple but popular text editor with support for a large selection of languages such as notepad++ or the ever popular sublime text might be a much better solution, like, way better. I only use dreamweaver because a lot of the other things have sucky built in FTP capabilities for transferring to my live server

EDIT: Oh, and XAMPP also has a Filezilla distro built in for FTP stuff anyway

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Hm...codepad didnt seem like a good place to create websites using html and css, they didnt even show up as Languages.
I'm not planing on hosting the website, i'd just like a good enviroment to build in that updates as i go along so i can see visually what i'm actually coding.

Redliquid~

It's a good thing you follow this topic. Apparently I don't have permission to quote you at the moment.. What's with that @Slick @LinusTech @MrWizard

Anyways, codepad was suggestion for PHP only testing. Seeing that you just want a environment to dev in, the XAMPP with Python solution with a text editor like notepad++ is probably the easiest way to go. All you need to do is install XAMPP and save the .html/.php/.py etc files directly in the htdocs folder created by the XAMPP installation and you can visually see what you're coding directly in the web browser by navigating to either localhost or 127.0.0.1

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

So, i cant quote you @ Hazy125 because LTT is broken xD
But i endedup trying out dreamweaver and i got it working like i want it to :-)

Thanks guys <3

Redliquid~

Two top notch programs I'd recommended are Sublime Text 3 and Adobe Edge Code CC (Preview [preview is the only cc version out])

I'm probably playing a game right now...

Two top notch programs I'd recommended are Sublime Text 3 and Adobe Edge Code CC (Preview [preview is the only cc version out])

Sublime Text is what it says! Sublime! I highly recommend it.

Try aptana Its not got all the extras like code drop in which IDE's like dreamweaver provide but its a solid IDE and is based on eclipse so if you know other languages should be fairly intuitive to pick up

C

Intel

Sublime text 2 o 3 or even Brackets.io it's pretty good because in the mean time that you are coding you can see the change without refresh.

NetBeans is also a nice IDE which is free to use which I can recommend. I like Sublime Text because it's a text editor, and not an IDE (super lightweight).

// TODO: Update signature to include PC buid.

I would suggest using Sublime Text 3 or Adobe Edge Code. I've used both and they're quite good, but I use Sublime Text as my daily driver.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Jetbrains IDEs are amazing, for this you might want Webstorm (for Javascript) and PHPStorm (for PHP). Not free, but you can get them free if you're a student I think

I second this. I use the Jetbrains IDEs for webdev stuff.  

Free for students. 

Aptana Studio combined with Xampp is what I currently use for PHP/CSS/HTML designing/testing. It is an IDE for PHP based off Eclipse. Also it is free.

DreamWeaver, NetBeans, Notepad++

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.