Which Monitor?

hummerh1

Hi everyone, so I will be getting a Gigabyte g1 gtx 970 and can't decide on a monitor for gaming. I originally wanted the Asus vg248qe but I know the 970 will not get close to 144fps on ultra. Should I be going for a 60Hz IPS  with no screen  tearing, or a 144Hz TN with possible screen tearing? I will be playing all sorts of games like Skyrim, far cry 4, gta v, BF4 etc. Anything is better than what I'm using now (an HP 2011x :wacko: , which will be used as a second screen). My budget is anything less than $400. Edit: I'm unable to get any 1440p Korean monitors where I live. 

Do you ever consider g-sync monitor (no tearing, but cost a lot more) 

Hi everyone, so I will be getting a Gigabyte g1 gtx 970 and can't decide on a monitor for gaming. I originally wanted the Asus vg248qe but I know the 970 will not get close to 144fps on ultra. Should I be going for a 60Hz IPS  with no screen  tearing, or a 144Hz TN with possible screen tearing? I will be playing all sorts of games like Skyrim, far cry 4, gta v, BF4 etc. Anything is better than what I'm using now (an HP 2011x :wacko: , which will be used as a second screen). My budget is anything less than $400. Edit: I'm unable to get any 1440p Korean monitors where I live. 

Panel technology doesn't have an effect on screen tearing. Screen tearing occurs because the gpu outputs more that one frame in a single monitor cycle. This causes the monitor to try to display 2 frames at once giving the tearing effect. A higher refresh rate helps this problem by having more cycles per second therefore reducing the chance of 2 or more frames being displayed at once. Gsync and Vsync work by syncing the monitors refresh rate to the rate at which the gpu is outputting frames. Insuring that there is never a time where 2 frames are being output in one monitor refresh cycle. The main difference however is that Gsync will actually change the monitors refresh rate to match the gpu, where as Vsync will lock the gpu's frame output to the monitors refresh rate. 

I think a 144 hz screen will still be better the GPU can get to 85 F so it would be worth it and on some less demanding games it would take advantage. I think the Asus vg248qe it the best 144 monitor too so I say get that

CPUFX 8320, Motherboard ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Socket AM3+ AMD, RAM g.skill ripjaws x series (2x8gb), GPUstrix gtx 970, Storage 500gb + 500gb + 250 ssd, PSU EVGA 600w B 80 PLUS BRONZE, Display(s) ASUS VG248QE 24"+ Hisense 24" + Vizio 24", Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, PC Part Picker  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LFxQ23

I think a 144 hz screen will still be better the GPU can get to 85 F so it would be worth it and on some less demanding games it would take advantage. I think the Asus vg248qe it the best 144 monitor too so I say get that

Honestly 85 fps on a non-gsync monitor feels similar to 60 fps locked, maybe a little worse since the frame times are bouncing around so much.