Will I have enough power for my r9 270x?

Chuck Eastlee

Will a 500w 80+ power supply (specifically the evga 500w) be enough to handle an Asus 4gb r9 270x Direct CU II, and if so, will I be able to overclock it without having a fire hazard?

fx 6300 - sapphire dual x r9 270x - Zalman z9 - Evga 500B - Cooler master hyper TX3 - Win. 8.1 - Asrock 970 extreme 3 r2.0 - Crucial ballstix sport 8gb (2x4) - WD blue 1TB - some random optical drive for 11$

Yes, anything 430w or more up until 650 is good for that pc

i7 4790k | ASUS Z97 Gryphon | 8GB Corsair XMS3 1333Mhz | Asus Direct CUII GTX 770 1267/3829 | Stock Cooler | Antec Neo Eco 520W | WD Green 1TB

Silverstone TJ08-e | Klipsch Promedia 2.1 | Razer Tiamat 2.2 | LG 24EN43VS | Razer Naga (2010) | Razer Lycosa (2010)

Planned PC Upgrades: https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=325661&action=wish_lists

Will a 500w 80+ power supply (specifically the evga 500w) be enough to handle an Asus 4gb r9 270x Direct CU II, and if so, will I be able to overclock it without having a fire hazard?

Yep, it will handle it. But have you bought the power supply yet? Because there's other power supplies for similar prices to the EVGA 500W/500B that are better quality

"Rawr XD"

Yes anything with 600-500 Watts is good

Yes, anything 430w or more up until 650 is good for that pc

A system with a 270X won't draw any more then 300W under load unless heavily overclocked, and even then you'll still be under 300.

59869.png

"Rawr XD"

Yep, it will handle it. But have you bought the power supply yet? Because there's other power supplies for similar prices to the EVGA 500W/500B that are better quality.

I will buy it, its 40$ at Microcenter, which is the cheapest power supply there that I would bother buying. Dont ask why I dont get it shipped.

fx 6300 - sapphire dual x r9 270x - Zalman z9 - Evga 500B - Cooler master hyper TX3 - Win. 8.1 - Asrock 970 extreme 3 r2.0 - Crucial ballstix sport 8gb (2x4) - WD blue 1TB - some random optical drive for 11$

I will buy it, its 40$ at Microcenter, which is the cheapest power supply there that I would bother buying. Dont ask why I dont get it shipped.

Eeh, spend the extra ten bucks and get the 500B. It's worth it for the improvement in the quality of the internal components IMO

http://www.microcenter.com/product/416677/500B_500_Watt_ATX_Power_Supply

Also, if you haven't bought it already, the 4GB 270X is a waste of money.

"Rawr XD"

Yes the 500w power supply will be more than enough to power a r9 270x. You will run into issues if your going to get another 270x and put it in crossfire. Then you will need a 750w power supply 

[CPU] i7 4790K OC [CPU Cooler] H100i [GPU] Evga GTX 980 SuperClocked [Ram] Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1866 mhz [PSU] Cooler Master 1000w Silent Pro [storage] 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 1 TB WD Blue 4 TB Seagate Nas. [Motherboard] Msi Z97 Gaming 5 [Case] Phantom 410 Red [sound] Onboard ALC 1150 [Headphones] Sennheiser HD 558 [Keyboard] Razer BlackWidow Chroma  [Mouse] Razer Deathadder Chroma [Mouse] Razer FireFly [Monitor] Asus MG278Q

I'm assume because of the fact that it has a 256-bit wide memory bus and for 4GB you need at least a 512-bit memory bus, like the R9 290/290X, in order for the card to be able to use all of that 4GB of GDDR5 memory, correct?

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I'm assume because of the fact that it has a 256-bit wide memory bus and for 4GB you need at least a 512-bit memory bus, like the R9 290/290X, in order for the card to be able to use all of that 4GB of GDDR5 memory, correct?

No, you can use all 4GB of it... but you likely never will without reaching the limits of the GPU itself first, unless you do heavy OpenCL rendering.

"Rawr XD"

You will run into issues if your going to get another 270x and put it in crossfire. Then you will need a 750w power supply 

Who told you this? A quality 550W like a Capstone or Seasonic G would be glad to handle two 270Xs in Crossfire.

"Rawr XD"

Eeh, spend the extra ten bucks and get the 500B. It's worth it for the improvement in the quality of the internal components IMO

http://www.microcenter.com/product/416677/500B_500_Watt_ATX_Power_Supply

Well, I could get the 2 GB model, for the same price, or the sapphire model for 20$ less, which one? I was going on gut feelings, since asus usually has higher quality cards, and with a better cooler

Well, I could get the 2 GB model, for the same price, or the sapphire model for 20$ less, which one? I was going on gut feelings, since asus usually has higher quality cards, and with a better cooler

Sapphire over Asus any day. They are the best brand to get when it comes to AMD cards. You shouldn't even be looking at the Asus cards if the Sapphire ones are cheaper. 

"Rawr XD"

Sapphire over Asus any day. They are the best brand to get when it comes to AMD cards. You shouldn't even be looking at the Asus cards if the Sapphire ones are cheaper. 

Ok then, thanks for the help.

Who told you this? A quality 550W like a Capstone or Seasonic G would be glad to handle two 270Xs in Crossfire.

Don't forget some overclocking headroom. 360w is required for the 2 graphics card alone. Plus the cpu which is around 100w tdp. Your getting close to the 500 limit. 

[CPU] i7 4790K OC [CPU Cooler] H100i [GPU] Evga GTX 980 SuperClocked [Ram] Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1866 mhz [PSU] Cooler Master 1000w Silent Pro [storage] 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 1 TB WD Blue 4 TB Seagate Nas. [Motherboard] Msi Z97 Gaming 5 [Case] Phantom 410 Red [sound] Onboard ALC 1150 [Headphones] Sennheiser HD 558 [Keyboard] Razer BlackWidow Chroma  [Mouse] Razer Deathadder Chroma [Mouse] Razer FireFly [Monitor] Asus MG278Q

Don't forget some overclocking headroom. 360w is required for the 2 graphics card alone. Plus the cpu which is around 100w tdp. Your getting close to the 500 limit. 

550W, not 500. And keep in mind high quality PSUs like the Capstone and Seasonic G have no problem with running at their full rated output all day long.

"Rawr XD"

550W, not 500. And keep in mind high quality PSUs like the Capstone and Seasonic G have no problem with running at their full rated output all day long.

Yes the 550w power supply will be enough. 500 watt will be a bit pushing it. But for $70 I would go for rosewill hive 650w power supply

No, you can use all 4GB of it... but you likely never will without reaching the limits of the GPU itself first, unless you do heavy OpenCL rendering.

Ah right, gotcha! Makes sense. :)

BTW, are you trying to set a new record for the number of posts within a day? http://linustechtips.com/main/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=stats :D

I thought I's addicted, I think you're considerably more addicted than me, if that's at all possible. :o

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator